SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 10, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,716 of 14,773
I'm not arguing where you have problems with your unit, all I'm saying is, there is no way for you to mimic the test condition what Sony has used, and normally most companies states actual times vary from different conditions.

And you are also getting the information mixed up, I'm not stating there are differences between version, what I'm saying is Sony does not provide international warranty service apart from item purchases sold as export models, and the ZX2 is not one of them.

so I'm not to sure why Canada is doing this.

But what about 501, 500? Where do you get this info relating these numbers to version? I agree some companies exaggerate their run times, but I am comparing battery times of other units Sony makes where they do not exaggerate such as the recent A17 which I also own, and it's pretty close to what Sony claims. Why would they suddenly start exaggerating with zx2? I even used a17 with no concern for how much I used the screen and battery was still close to spec.

I don't know what Canada is doing either, but they have no problem replacing the unit. I have not seen anyone else on these forums report a 501 number.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #2,717 of 14,773

Truly do feel a bit horrible for the AK and JH folks, as they are really awesome products and companies. fiascogarcia, when you get the Sony and a few hundred hours please be sure to post what you're hearing as always enjoy reading other's conclusions / results. Of course the other 'problem' of being a reviewer, like those mentioned within the review, is that if I 'get it wrong' will get my hindquarters handed back to me on a plate.

As always, in the end what really matters is that you...

Have you had a chance to compare the quality of sound from the balanced out of the two units?

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,718 of 14,773
Initial impression......Mind Blown! 
dt880smile.png

Charging battery, will listen some more tonight. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,721 of 14,773
The 500 and 501 may just be regional identifiers rather than batch numbers. We don't know how the numbering works.

Sony seem to be quoting the same runtime on the specification page of US, UK and Japanese websites, so we should assume the battery is the same.

Also in the instruction book, it gives very specific details about how the battery runtime is measured. It goes into details such as WiFi off, Bluetooth off, NFC off, and is very specific that the 60 hours only comes from mp3 at 192kHz which would be a silly choice for a ZX2 owner, or pure WAV files! :) But it does give the runtime for other formats too.

On the ZX1 I found the runtime to be pretty much the same as specified in the user guide when you ensured you were complying with their set-up.

On the ZX2, I am currently running a test with FLAC compressed at 16 bit / 44.1kHz as this is not a type Sony quote for. I have been running now for 9 hours, and it has dropped at precisely 2% per hour. This should mean around 50 hours. This would seem about right to me because although both mp3 and FLAC (in my case) are compressed, we are dealing with larger data transfers with FLAC than an mp3 at 192kHz. Although WAV files are huge there is no compression to deal with. So when you factor larger file sizes and compression, it must be lower than 60 hours and 50 feels about right. Of course you can have uncompressed FLAC which would likely get nearer the 60 hours again.

Sony never quote for standby time

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,722 of 14,773
Standby time was never good in that early version of Android, which is why an updated version of Android would be useful.
@spatzi batteries don't just reach their optimim capacity of the first charge, especially if stored for a long time or brand new, my suggestion to cycle the battery a few times is just suggestion. Not science tested facts. Don't do it then.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,723 of 14,773
  The 500 and 501 may just be regional identifiers rather than batch numbers. We don't know how the numbering works.

Sony seem to be quoting the same runtime on the specification page of US, UK and Japanese websites, so we should assume the battery is the same.

Also in the instruction book, it gives very specific details about how the battery runtime is measured. It goes into details such as WiFi off, Bluetooth off, NFC off, and is very specific that the 60 hours only comes from mp3 at 192kHz which would be a silly choice for a ZX2 owner, or pure WAV files! :) But it does give the runtime for other formats too.

On the ZX1 I found the runtime to be pretty much the same as specified in the user guide when you ensured you were complying with their set-up.

On the ZX2, I am currently running a test with FLAC compressed at 16 bit / 44.1kHz as this is not a type Sony quote for. I have been running now for 9 hours, and it has dropped at precisely 2% per hour. This should mean around 50 hours. This would seem about right to me because although both mp3 and FLAC (in my case) are compressed, we are dealing with larger data transfers with FLAC than an mp3 at 192kHz. Although WAV files are huge there is no compression to deal with. So when you factor larger file sizes and compression, it must be lower than 60 hours and 50 feels about right. Of course you can have uncompressed FLAC which would likely get nearer the 60 hours again.

Sony never quote for standby time

That would be exceptional run time for flac, which I assume is more intensive than LAME VBR (v.0 extreme) that I use. (average of 270 kbps)

I have been running mp3 since last night and so far, it's been a bit more reasonable. 8 hours usage at 75%. Drop is never better than 3% per hour. At this rate, guesstimate 32 hours. It's hit and miss. Sometimes run time is awful. Example: last night I got a half hour use between 100% and 90%. Then, I charged it again and  got an hour usage from 99% to 97%. No consistency.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #2,727 of 14,773
To all of you who think the new Sony micro Sd at $185 is expensive and unreasonable. Check this out...available now at your closest bestbuy store....64gb

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-64gb-microsdxc-uhs-3-class-u-3-memory-card-red-gold/9387093.p?id=1219014150534&skuId=9387093

And if that peaked your interest

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-pro-64gb-microsdxc-class-10-memory-card-black-red/9303147.p?id=1219408996110&skuId=9303147

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,728 of 14,773
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Great review Steven. So now I'm back in the game and looking forward to being 1200$ lighter. Could you please test some DSD tracks on the zx2 and give your opinions on the sony's prowess with them. I have 1 TB of jazz and classical along with some Rock classics in dsf format. I was doubtful about the sony's ability as it converts to pcm but on reading your glowing review I have hope that the engineers at sony have done a good job with that.
Thanks in advance

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2,730 of 14,773
To all of you who think the new Sony micro Sd at $185 is expensive and unreasonable. Check this out...available now at your closest bestbuy store....64gb

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-64gb-microsdxc-uhs-3-class-u-3-memory-card-red-gold/9387093.p?id=1219014150534&skuId=9387093

And if that peaked your interest

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-pro-64gb-microsdxc-class-10-memory-card-black-red/9303147.p?id=1219408996110&skuId=9303147

That's the plus not the pro. I think the pro sounds better than the plus and the price is not 199...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back