SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,746 of 14,773
As I mentioned earlier, Sony ARE fairly specific about how their battery life is measured and I found with the ZX1 it was spot-on.

Battery life
The time below may differ depending on ambient temperature or the status of use.

Battery Life (continuous playback)
Actual battery life may vary depending on settings. The estimated battery usage hours shown below are based on typical usage conditions with “Settings for battery life measurement” as shown below.

Music
MP3 128 kbps

Approx. 60 Hrs

Linear PCM 1,411 kbps

Approx. 61 Hrs

FLAC 96 kHz/24 bit

Approx. 43 Hrs

FLAC 192 kHz/24 bit

Approx. 33 Hrs

DSD 2.8224 MHz/1 bit

Approx. 22 Hrs

DSD 5.6448 MHz/1 bit

Approx. 16 Hrs

Video
MPEG-4 384 kbps

Approx. 9 Hrs

Note•Even if the player is turned off for an extended period, a small amount of battery power is still consumed.
•Battery life may vary depending on volume setting, conditions of use and ambient temperature.
Settings for battery life measurement
Display

Brightness (*1): Default

Sound adjustment

ClearAudio+ (*2): OFF (default setting: OFF)

Equalizer (*3): OFF (default setting: OFF)

Surround sound (*3): OFF (default setting: OFF)

DSEE HX (*3)(*4): OFF (default setting: OFF)

Dynamic normalizer (*3): OFF (default setting: OFF)

Bluetooth (*5)

OFF (default setting: OFF)

(*1) The maximum brightness setting shortens the battery life for continuous video playback by about 19% compared with the default setting.

(*2) The [On] setting shortens the battery life about 37% compared with the [Off] setting.

(*3) Setting [Equalizer] to other than [Off], [Surround sound] to other than [Off], [DSEE HX] to [On] and [Dynamic normalizer] to [On] shortens the battery life for continuous music playback by about 70%.

(*4) The [On] setting shortens the battery life about 52% compared with the [Off] setting.

(*5) When listening to music wirelessly with [Bluetooth] set to [ON], the battery life is about 40% to 65% shorter than when [Bluetooth] is set to [OFF]. The battery life also differs depending on the selected codec.

Notice there is no information on 'clear bass'. The only one I use. I'd like to know if 'clear bass' affects battery life or not and if it does, at what percentage.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,747 of 14,773
Agreed, no one knows the conditions. At least Apple is admitting only three(!) hours of use of their watch in some circumstances (18 on average ROFLMAO because my Galaxy Gear S has a cell phone too and I get about two full days of use). There are going to be A LOT of angry Apple people when they realize they paid top dollar for two generations behind the curve tech, and with horrible battery life too.

OMG, only 6.5 hours of music and..... your done!

This is why you have the watch: so you can keep looking at it and worrying about how little time you have left.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #2,749 of 14,773
I'm still looking for the answer how HDP R10 ( V3 Sound Explosion firmware) compare to NW-ZX2. On a scale of 1-10 would be appreciated. I'm currently interested in getting this player. Thanks

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,750 of 14,773
wink.gif
wink.gif
awesome . Does it means we can use viber calls over wifi .

Just DL'ed and used Skype and it works fine with the built-in mic. Good video quality receiving from the other person's camera too. Of course you must wear headphones/Bluetooth and there is no camera so they can't see you.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,751 of 14,773
Sony sure knows how to advertise. This was all over the news last night in Vancouver. Forget the zx2, this is the real thing!

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/03/suspicious-walkman-device-responsible-seabus-shutdown/

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,752 of 14,773
Notice there is no information on 'clear bass'. The only one I use. I'd like to know if 'clear bass' affects battery life or not and if it does, at what percentage.

All Sony claims aside, how much playing time are you currently getting at this point?  How does it compare to your previous DAP?

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #2,753 of 14,773
All Sony claims aside, how much playing time are you currently getting at this point?  How does it compare to your previous DAP?

I have been running the player non stop on high bit MP3 files (either looping or picking out new albums when I actually listen) since 8 am yesterday morning (25 hrs) and it's still at 29%. Checking the battery once ever hour so total screen time is around 8-10 minutes. Should be able to get at least another 12 hours and total around 37 hours.

For the first time since I started keeping track two weeks ago, the battery life has been decent and close to Sony claims. If 128 mp3 is 60 hrs, high bit rate should be at least half that. I can only attribute this to shutting down and disabling even more android background services and apps before the last test, as I didn't get anywhere near this run time on previous tests. (Once I had 15 hrs playtime and only 35% battery left) Not shutting down, rebooting, or leaving on standby obviously adds to run time.

Keep in mind I'm also using clear bass setting 7 out of 10 on the slider.

Regardless, I already ordered a new ZX2 yesterday because I was frustrated with what I was getting on the battery. I will be taking note of every single app and setting I have shut off on this one before mailing it back, and I will duplicate those settings on the new one. Either the battery life on the new one will be exactly the same or maybe even better. And Sony gave me an additional $25 off. The only negative is I will have to go through the burn in process all over again. I'm currently around 75 hours.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,756 of 14,773
So my cable arrived :wink:...TRRS 7N-OFC. Use for any ATH IM series....in this case I am using it with IM-04

There are no channels markings. But look closely and I can see the shapes of the plugs and the wire shapes. It all went smoothly

Oh my ghost.....the warm signature of the IM-04 disappeared ? Wow....Mids are so spicy....lower-mids are super super clear, higher-mids, lower-trebles and higher-trebles has even more details....and no sibilance existed. My ghost.....I am speechless at this level of clarity, transparentcy, and soundstage of the IM-04, upgraded cable, and ZX2 nature uses of TRRS....sigh......

For that said, I will try to give you more detailed impressions later.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,757 of 14,773
I've never owned a Sony.  Are WM connectors the same for all Sony's?  Thanks

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,758 of 14,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back