SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 28, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #2,131 of 14,755
  How does the ZX2 handle line out or digital out?  Is it an easy solution?  Its really important to me since I might plug a better dac/amp down the line.

Didn't notice this.  No line out?  Doesn't Sony's marketing material mention matching it with their amps?

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,132 of 14,755
Found a picture of the ZX2 with amp.  Looks like it will need a special cable?  I would be connecting to Pure II if necessary for full sized headphones, which is  a 3.5mm single ended connection.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,134 of 14,755
  Found a picture of the ZX2 with amp.  Looks like it will need a special cable?  I would be connecting to Pure II if necessary for full sized headphones, which is  a 3.5mm single ended connection.

That PHA-3 included the digital cable necessary...

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,137 of 14,755
Just listening to it. The UI is excellent, better than Fiio X5 (of course, price is 3x!).

But the line out volume is very, very low. I am listening to it with the Stax 009 and 727II at max volume and not yet enough!

I try to get it through the PHA3 with the USB cable to use the PHA3 line out but it says I cannot access it whilst connected with the USB.....

Edit: very low volume indeed! I am using it via the headphones out at max volume and nothing! What the hell is this?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,138 of 14,755
My biggest gripes so far:

1) when you power down, not only does the library have to rebuild every time you turn it on, it resets the battery time counter. If I want to test my battery time i have to write down my time for each listening session. I would understand this for a reset but not turning the unit off. I complained about the Fiio x5 and its ten second start time but that feels like light speed compared to this.
2) power off means you lose your spot on an album you were listening to. Have fun searching for it and finding the exact track you were listening to. Now I have to make sure I finish listening to an album before powering it off.
3) no sleep timer.

I don't get this. The A17 saves your exact place in a song, and never rebuilds the library after a power down, unless its been off for more than 24 hours. It's a $300 player and now I have a $1300 player and it feels like I am going backwards on ease of use.

Okay, I get that Android requires 30 seconds to boot, but add library rebuild time and it is 3 minutes before I can listen to music off the Sd card.

What happens if I don't power it off? Just let the screen go dark and leave it for eight hours? How much more battery gets used compared to power off?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,139 of 14,755
  Just listening to it. The UI is excellent, better than Fiio X5 (of course, price is 3x!).

But the line out volume is very, very low. I am listening to it with the Stax 009 and 727II at max volume and not yet enough!

I try to get it through the PHA3 with the USB cable to use the PHA3 line out but it says I cannot access it whilst connected with the USB.....

I agree, the line out volume is too low. 

1) when you power down, not only does the library have to rebuild every time you turn it on, it resets the battery time counter. If I want to test my battery time i have to write down my time for each listening session. I would understand this for a reset but not turning the unit off. I complained about the Fiio x5 and its ten second start time but that feels like light speed compared to this.
2) power off means you lose your spot on an album you were listening to. Have fun searching for it and finding the exact track you were listening to. Now I have to make sure I finish listening to an album before powering it off.
3) no sleep timer.

I don't get this. The A17 saves your exact place in a song, and never rebuilds the library after a power down, unless its been off for more than 24 hours. It's a $300 player and now I have a $1300 player and it feels like I am going backwards on ease of use.

Okay, I get that Android requires 30 seconds to boot, but add library rebuild time and it is 3 minutes before I can listen to music off the Sd card.

What happens if I don't power it off? Just let the screen go dark and leave it for eight hours? How much more battery gets used compared to power off?

Hopefully Sony will listen and do some changes. Hopefully. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,140 of 14,755
^android isn't designed to be powered off, it can't do its collecting of all your information and data/location, and then share it with the big guys if you turn it off.
The best battery life I have seen was from an android device is a rooted nexus 7, I am able to get 1% day in standby, which is great, but I don't know for the nx2.
Would you say it sounds heaps better than the a17 spatzi?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,141 of 14,755
I think I have a dud. Down to 89% battery and just under two hours usage. That's 20 hours full use for MP3 listening. (My first charge gave me around 19 hours) Nowhere near the stated life, which was one of the main reasons I bought this. I'd be happy to get even 30 hours but it's not going to happen. Screen is dimmed 100 %, turns off after 15 seconds, spent hours figuring out how to turn off and delete android programs and background programs that may cause drain, ran developer mode and turned off animations, wifi off, gps off, etc. I don't know what else I can do.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,142 of 14,755
The screen will drain the battery very quickly, in around 5 to 6 has, so it has a huge battery drain, same with WiFi and Bluetooth, so if you don't use the screen, you may get the runtime, also the battery needs to be cycled several times before it reaches its capacity.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,143 of 14,755

3) no sleep timer.

Hey there

Songs name, titles, albums, and art cover, they all can be done using the program I linked in the other thread I created....

Zx2 will separate the albums in the music program, second tap (albums) you can edit your song album with he MP3 tag, and all songs with the same albums will be in the same place when ZX2 automatically update upon boots. Or removals of SD

MP3 tag.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756822/how-to-rip-dvd-blu-ray-into-high-resolution-tracks-in-different-formats#post_11365223

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,144 of 14,755
The screen will drain the battery very quickly, in around 5 to 6 has, so it has a huge battery drain, same with WiFi and Bluetooth, so if you don't use the screen, you may get the runtime, also the battery needs to be cycled several times before it reaches its capacity.

And this is totally correct, I use the lowest screen brightness setting....all other connections are off, Bluetooth, nfc....etc....all animations off....I will try to delete widgets, and tabs...etc. So far I am happy with the battery. :D

Also, turn off google account and live syncs to preserve the battery, if you are on wifi....this guy drain the battery the most!

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,145 of 14,755
^android isn't designed to be powered off, it can't do its collecting of all your information and data/location, and then share it with the big guys if you turn it off.
The best battery life I have seen was from an android device is a rooted nexus 7, I am able to get 1% day in standby, which is great, but I don't know for the nx2.
Would you say it sounds heaps better than the a17 spatzi?

Heaps better? I say around 25% better. I haven't listened to my a17 since I got the zx2 this week but in quick comparisons ten seconds apart, they seemed very close at first. Then I noticed more detail and wider soundstage on Zx2. But to be honest, I now think about going back to a17 for bedtime listening as it has a sleep timer, and resumes my last spot with instant on of one second. This is nothing to sneeze at and a major advantage for A17, not to mention A17 gave me a guaranteed 32 hours of use (others reported over 40 hrs).

The main advantages for zx2 are spotify and the SQ. (If they had an a17 sized player with spotify that would be my ideal) but Sony is either exaggerating battery life or I have a dud, and what are the odds of that? Am I the only one here with battery problems? Seems unlikely.

I love being able to download everything really quickly or just stream it and it all sounds as good or better than my file versions. In fact, I don't even think about the 256 gig storage I could be using because spotify has lessened the need for me to store everything on the device. 90% of my file collection is on spotify already. I have a 128 gig card in it that contains my massive soundtrack collection, as most of it can't be found on spotify. I am getting used to the idea of streaming an album, or downloading it, then deleting it afterwards because I know I won't be listening to it again for quite some time. Sjere there are certain albums you really like and can listen to more often but a lot of it is good for one okay through and them move in. There is too much other new music to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back