SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,118 of 14,773
  I'm still wondering about the SQ...

For folks that have a ZX2 in hand already, would you describe the sound signature as blue/black, or white/gold?

Depends upon your mood and what you feel like wearing, I mean listening to. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #2,119 of 14,773
I am concerned about battery life. I have 42 minutes play time of mp3's off Sd card and the battery is at 95% from a full charge. This doesn't sound normal. I had the same usage on wifi streaming off spotify. Is everyone else really getting a full hour for every 2%?

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,120 of 14,773
  I'm still wondering about the SQ...

For folks that have a ZX2 in hand already, would you describe the sound signature as blue/black, or white/gold?

Mauve and fuschia.  :wink:    
Have no idea what you mean. My sound comments are within my review at
www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0215/Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review_Noble_Kaiser_K10.htm

I am concerned about battery life. I have 42 minutes play time of mp3's off Sd card and the battery is at 95% from a full charge. This doesn't sound normal. I had the same usage on wifi streaming off spotify. Is everyone else really getting a full hour for every 2%?

Seems the first few charges of the battery were not 'forever' battery life. Now on the 5th charge and all seems normal. Maybe the batteries take a bit to get 'up to speed' so to speak. Drain it to about 25% then charge, wash/rinse/repeat and see how it goes after the 5th cycle. BTW, I leave the NW-ZX2 here in Airplane mode when not using Wi-Fi/etc.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #2,121 of 14,773
I just checked it again. Now, I have 1:18 play time and the battery is 94%. Drops 5% for the first 42 minutes and only 1% for the next 40. It is not consistent. This was my second charge.

When I disconnected the unit after it said 'charged, the battery indicator was at 99%, not 100%. maybe it will sort itself out after a few charges.

I never understood airplane mode. What is the difference between turning off wifi and using airplane mode? Isn't it the same thing?

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,122 of 14,773
I just checked it again. Now, I have 1:18 play time and the battery is 94%. Drops 5% for the first 42 minutes and only 1% for the next 40. It is not consistent. This was my second charge.

When I disconnected the unit after it said 'charged, the battery indicator was at 99%, not 100%. maybe it will sort itself out after a few charges.

I never understood airplane mode. What is the difference between turning off wifi and using airplane mode? Isn't it the same thing?

Bluetooth....

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #2,123 of 14,773
How does the ZX2 handle line out or digital out?  Is it an easy solution?  Its really important to me since I might plug a better dac/amp down the line.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,124 of 14,773
  How much is that limited edition chinese version ZX2?

off topic: wasnt there a limited edition Z1000 headphone  & EX1000 iem box set sometime ago? Anyone has it?

From www.taobao.com it's priced approximate RMB6899-RMB6999, for either the normal version or limited edition, whiles they do state the original price at approximate RMB7999. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,125 of 14,773

How much is that limited edition chinese version ZX2?

off topic: wasnt there a limited edition Z1000 headphone  & EX1000 iem box set sometime ago? Anyone has it?

Probably not a limited edition.... Just boxed with accessories

Just with a nice outer box with screen protector, flip case and Sony 64GB Micro SDXC card.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2,126 of 14,773
Folks I'm going to try to put the memory card debate to the test as to whether they sound better or worse or the same.
Not being the passive type I decided to take things into my own hands and see for myself.

What I now have are 4 Micro SD cards, the Sandisk Extreme Pro, Kingston (2 kinds), Toshiba Exceria. They are all 16GB.
Will load them up with the same material and test it out. 

Stay tuned...

p.s. To the question that probably be asked at some point - the answer is NO.

Gonna have some fun on multiple levels :wink:

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,127 of 14,773
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.....it means the differences are there. But I don't like this ABX testing, it was meant to confuse me.

1/ the differences in between these two files are very subtles.....as 10 cents differences in $100 bills....
2/ it doesn't allow me to listen to the way I want, say in a 15 secs track, when I restart A or B it was just a pause....hence it confused me more
3/ X will keep playing without my ability to replay X on the same file....whenever I play X, it will always random A or B......it gets even more confusing

But you want to know what differences that I hear ? Mainly drums beats as these are the easiest out of all subtles details....the Highresolution drums and beats are with a tad more Booms and Rumblings.....like I said 10 cents in 100$....the rest are even harder to tell....so on another hand...

The conclusions
it is almost impossible to tell the differences from high resolution vs CD quality.
The differences are there.....
I rather enjoy high resolution music than Cd quality, why not ? I love music, and I will do what I can to improve it......isn't this one of the reason why I have different earphones, headphones....still buying ? Hell.....IEMS and different cans sound worlds apart.....and it is still fun to swap them out after a few days to listen to :D

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,128 of 14,773
You know ? I tried ABX testing....and I only get 30% correct from Highresolution vs CD quality.....it means the differences are there. But I don't like this ABX testing, it was meant to confuse me.

1/ the differences in between these two files are very subtles.....as 10 cents differences in $100 bills....
2/ it doesn't allow me to listen to the way I want, say in a 15 secs track, when I restart A or B it was just a pause....hence it confused me more
3/ X will keep playing without my ability to replay X on the same file....whenever I play X, it will always random A or B......it gets even more confusing

But you want to know what differences that I hear ? Mainly drums beats as these are the easiest out of all subtles details....the Highresolution drums and beats are with a tad more Booms and Rumblings.....like I said 10 cents in 100$....the rest are even harder to tell....so on another hand...

The conclusions
it is almost impossible to tell the differences from high resolution vs CD quality.
The differences are there.....
I rather enjoy high resolution music than Cd quality, why not ? I love music, and I will do what I can to improve it......isn't this one of the reason why I have different earphones, headphones....still buying ? Hell.....IEMS and different cans sound worlds apart.....and it is still fun to swap them out after a few days to listen to
biggrin.gif

It is meant to confuse you until you lose any confidence in yourself :wink:

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,129 of 14,773
...I love music, and I will do what I can to improve it......isn't this one of the reason why I have different earphones, headphones....still buying ? Hell.....IEMS and different cans sound worlds apart.....and it is still fun to swap them out after a few days to listen to
biggrin.gif

Excellent point! There are less differences between the AK120II and the NW-ZX2 with the JH Audio IEMs than there is with the higher resolving power Noble K-10 custom. Since your entire setup is a 'system', it is only as good as the weakest link per se IMHO.

How does the ZX2 handle line out or digital out?  Is it an easy solution?  Its really important to me since I might plug a better dac/amp down the line.

Mmmmmmaybe.... but not available as a product at this time.

Again, give it a few charge cycles.

I like Airplane mode on Android devices over just turning off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, etc. As for why, just my preference and sneaking suspicion it really turns off things at a more core level... but i could be wrong. Either way, it's free to do. Do I hear any difference going either way on the NW-ZX2? No, though for me it is one 'toggle' to turn my chosen radios on and off (convenience). Without doing a deep OS-level forensics it is hard to know for sure if Airplane mode does more within the unit at managing hardware/software than just toggling off radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back