SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,411 of 14,773
Mython, thanks for the info--I'm also using the Hugo.
Can you give me an idea of how much reduction in battery life you are getting on your Sony?
Shmuel

I only had one on loan for just over a week. I didn't actually measure the battery duration, when connected to the Hugo, but I don't recall it being very long - maybe 5 - 6 hours. Someone who owns one would be able to give you a more accurate estimate.

Quote:
  So will the ZX2 output the full digital signal? I guess 24/192 is enough. But I am not sure why I am asking as I didn't buy it as a transport, as elucidated above. 

I went up to 24/192 without any issues, on the ZX1, but was mostly playing Redbook (which the Hugo sounds incredible with). But yeah, 24-192 the ZX1 sends just fine, through the WMPort, so the ZX2 should at least match that, obviously. I don't recall attempting any DSD playback on the ZX1, so I can't comment on that.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,413 of 14,773
Soon there'll be Sony 2GB cards - one for each album! The return of MiniDisc.

I still remember Sony's horrible 'MagicGate' Memory Sticks. They were quite disgusting in their disregard for the consumer and lost Sony a lot of respect from Walkman fans.

At least they've finally bowed to public pressure, to incorporate a generic memory expansion slot on the ZX2, so there is at least some progress, even if few people will be willing to spend $200 for a fancy Sony 64gb microSD card when a standard high quality 64gb microSD card can currently be had for just $30.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,414 of 14,773
All this talk about memory stick...etc. It would be something if Sony combined their technologies and create mini vynil discs which will be sized as small as their mini disc which can hold upto 20gb...

Then follows up with a higher end niche walkman of 7-10,000$ .... Simplify it would be a Mini portable walkman Vynil analog audio quality .........!!!

How would people cry about that then...it is possible as Sony already developed cassettee tape to hold 170TB ........

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,415 of 14,773
Quick question:
Does the Sony have a digital output, like what I get with my iPhone 6 when using the camera connection kit cable?
Thanks.

The cable is included if you're getting the PHA-3...

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,417 of 14,773
  This is somewhat related to the ZX2. Sony today announced a special MicroSD card that claims to reduce electrical noise and thereby improving sound reproduction...

18,500¥ for a 64GB Class 10 card...

http://www.sony.jp/sd/products/SR-HXA/

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150219_688522.html

Any ZX2 owners game enough to give this microSD card a go? : )

Why would anyone buy this when you can get a 128gb micro sd for half the cost?

Is it made out of titanium or something? Pure gold? Or is it sprinkled with the same fairy dust that they used on their memorystick and ps vita memory cards?

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,418 of 14,773

Is it made out of titanium or something? Pure gold? Or is it sprinkled with the same fairy dust that they used on their memorystick and ps vita memory cards?

May be they want to increase their sales with their memory cards against sandisk or something like that ... and found that the audiophile communities drooling on any " premium sound " on any thing even if it was a can of soda ! 
so they stick that word on every thing right now !!

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,419 of 14,773
  May be they want to increase their sales with their memory cards against sandisk or something like that ... and found that the audiophile communities drooling on any " premium sound " on any thing even if it was a can of soda ! 
so they stick that word on every thing right now !!

yeah, but it's still absurd that they are charging a quadruple amount just because they put a stupid logo on it.

I'm guessing it's just a normal sd card with a high r/w rating, sparkled with a bit of the usual Sony proprietary memory tax.

To be honest, it's not surprising that Sony would do this. Prices of the PS Vita memories are still absurd, and how could we forget Sony's lovely memorysticks?

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,420 of 14,773
All this talk of price and microsd, but I can't be the only one wondering: how does it sound??

Can all you owners post your impressions so far?  And of course, comparisons to your own DMPs.  Thanks! :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,421 of 14,773
Be patient - give it another 7-14 days, and this thread will be flooded with first-impressions, after new owners have reached the obligatory 100hr burn-in, and then had time to sit down and spend some hours listening.

Then you just need to wait another 4-6months until FOTMF has died down and you can start taking the user-feedback seriously
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,422 of 14,773
What do you think this trend of sony, fiio and other brands of Hi-res players not packing headphones?

well for me is fine, they assume you already got a pair of headphones of any kind, and for me is more like they assume you have a hi-res capable can, or HD what ever you call it. Or they do it so if you don't have some HD headphones, go and buy one
biggrin.gif

But i think would be good to include some basic ones like sony used to with their older walkmen like A800 &X1000 so to have a backup at the office or in the car when you forget your buds

But yes they shall include more accesories!!, f.e a screen protector thingy and a basic silicone case like fiio does, perhaps also a digital output cable

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,423 of 14,773

This is somewhat related to the ZX2. Sony today announced a special MicroSD card that claims to reduce electrical noise and thereby improving sound reproduction...

18,500¥ for a 64GB Class 10 card...

http://www.sony.jp/sd/products/SR-HXA/

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150219_688522.html

Any ZX2 owners game enough to give this microSD card a go? : )

Agree with you +1 Sd for premium sound, ufff sounds like marketing blah blah blah blah... i've got a Sandisk 128Gigger and my music sounds great with my A17

bathed in plutonium, sprinkled with moon dust from NASA Samples? LOL

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,424 of 14,773
  What do you think this trend of sony, fiio and other brands of Hi-res players not packing headphones?

But i think would be good to include some basic ones like sony used to with their older walkmen like A800 &X1000 so to have a backup at the office or in the car when you forget your buds

But yes they shall include more accesories!!, f.e a screen protector thingy and a basic silicone case like fiio does, perhaps also a digital output cable

Not everyone needs a basic pair of earphones included, so it's bad for the environment to produce thousands of pairs of cheap earphones that only a small percentage of people will actually use (especially for a high-end product aimed at serious audiophiles)

Same reason why there's no need for them to include a USB charger ( www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-microsd-slot-33-hours-hi-res-playback/1035#post_11318788 )

Not everyone needs a digital output cable, either, so it's bad for the environment to produce (and include) thousands of digital output cables if only 40% or so of ZX2 customers will ever use it. All they need to do is make the cable available at a reasonable price, and globally available, instead of the current situation.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,425 of 14,773

Not everyone needs a basic pair of earphones included, so it's bad for the environment to produce thousands of pairs of cheap earphones that only a small percentage of people will actually use (especially for a high-end product aimed at serious audiophiles)

Same reason why there's no need for them to include a USB charger ( www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-microsd-slot-33-hours-hi-res-playback/1035#post_11318788 )

Not everyone needs a digital output cable, either, so it's bad for the environment to produce (and include) thousands of digital output cables if only 40% or so of ZX2 customers will ever use it. All they need to do is make the cable available at a reasonable price, and globally available, instead of the current situation.

Well agree with you on the availability in global fashion. but the environment is so overrated those days LOL, i throw myplastic bottles in the common trash or in the steet when no body sees me :D

I germany had to throw them in the recycling machine, when i learnt that thing gives you $$$$$ for recycling haha i threw all the bottles in the machine instea dof the appropiate plastic containers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back