SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,381 of 14,773

ok, but only hope to shed some light, so you don't think Sony is gouging the customers at least not with their mp3 player, TV, and the late Vaio, they carry good to very small margin.

A17 retail: $299.99 cost: just over $200

Z7 retail: $699.99, cost: $378.88

Z5 retail: $699.99, cost: $347.31

Z7 balnaced Kimber Kable retail: $249.99, cost: $135.31

Z7 portable Kimber Kable retail: $229.99, cost: $124.49

Z5 upgrade balanced cable retail: $119.99, cost: $64.95

Z5 upgraded portable cable retail: $109.99, cost: $59.54

PHA 3 retail: $999.99, cost: $541.26

Thanks although where are you getting these figures?

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,382 of 14,773
  ^ These kind of markups are pretty standard in the AV and audio industries, if you think thats bad, take a look at some speaker markups, its usually over 5x and up to 10x for the higher end stuff.

I don't think it's bad at all, they can do whatever they want, just as the customers do not have to buy Sony products; besides the cost doesn't take R&D into consideration.

I'm with you on this and I'm perfectly happy paying what Sony charges.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,385 of 14,773
How about a cirrus logic DAC is still a Cirrus Logic DAC, it doesn't matter how your design the circuit and body, it still gonna be the Cirrus Logic ? And don't deserve to be priced as such 2400$ ? AK240 ?

Sony designed their own DAC-Amplifier combo for Christ sake....the same as Ferrari would design their own !

It isn't hard to smash technologies together and create your devices then call it your invention....vs invention......such as A&K...it is a real invention when you design everything by your own ! Period....that is Sony

bravo. so true!!!

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,386 of 14,773
Guys, can someone who already got ZX2 or listened to it shed some light on:
* SD card integration. Is it seamless or it's something like two separate storages (card and main memory) where all music is split onto two parts?
* Does it handle large collections well? Some people were complaining about AK120/AK240 slow rescan.
* Does it have enough power to drive headphones other than IEMs without additional amplifier? I have B&W P7, I wonder if it will be ok.
* Does it have line out mode, for example for connecting to car sound system?
* How is it compared to e.g. AK120II. I personally considering between AK120II which I can listen before purchasing and ZX2 which I will have to buy blindly.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,387 of 14,773
* SD card integration. Is it seamless or it's something like two separate storages (card and main memory) where all music is split onto two parts?
* Does it handle large collections well? Some people were complaining about AK120/AK240 slow rescan.
* Does it have enough power to drive headphones other than IEMs without additional amplifier? I have B&W P7, I wonder if it will be ok.
* How is it compared to e.g. AK120II. I personally considering between AK120II which I can listen before purchasing and ZX2 which I will have to buy blindly.

After a couple minute database update to read the micro SD card, it is seamless like you are browsing the library on the machine. There is no going to a dedicated folder to access the card or anything. When I powered up mine for the first time yesterday, it did the update, then all my music was right there ready to go... no more waiting an hour or more for music files to copy over from computer. Very nice. My music collection is approximately 30GB. 

Regarding power, it seems quite similar to the ZX1 where it is best for IEMs. I don't have any full sized cans here currently, but with the ASG-1Plus, a hybrid dynamic/BA IEM by Aurisonics, it took a lot of the total volume to power it sufficiently. I can only imagine that it would not do cans full justice. Maybe really easy to drive ones, I don't know... 

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,388 of 14,773
Taking it out of the box I was totally blindsided with how heavy this unit is. It must weigh close to a pound. I'm going to have to actually weigh it, because it seems like a bowling ball wrapped up in the size of a small phone! Of course build quality is impeccable. 

Ah, you've discovered the new security features of the ZX2!

You see, as it has a density rivaling that of depleted uranium, the ZX2 can be utilized as a tiny bullet-proof shield in the event that the user become the victim of a mugging. And, if one's attacker is not equipped with a firearm, the ZX2 can be used for offense to pistol whip or otherwise bludgeon a would-be assailant.
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,389 of 14,773
Anyone tried the volume output trick on ZX2? It should increase volume output and might also change SQ. To do it go to Settings - Apps - All Apps - Sound Enhancements - Disable - Yes. To revert back to original settings just enable it again through same way then restart ZX2.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,390 of 14,773
Anyone tried the volume output trick on ZX2? It should increase volume output and might also change SQ. To do it go to Settings - Apps - All Apps - Sound Enhancements - Disable - Yes. To revert back to original settings just enable it again through same way then restart ZX2.

I had tried that trick on ZX1, but the sounds will go rough and uncontrolled, and I don't use too power hungry phones on my portable gears, just against the purpose of that phones, so I never used that trick on my ZX1 again.

For ZX2, my Z5 pairs well with it, so no need to degrade the SQ for increasing the power output with this trick. :rolleyes:

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,391 of 14,773
I know this is very early and therefore a wasted comment although I hope it's able to be rooted so one can install Viper.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,393 of 14,773

SD integration: Only folder view will show separate folders within music folder of internal storage and SD card, all other view of all your medias will be merged into single list.

Internal storage scan is fast, SD storge seems depends on SD card class and size.

B&W P7 is mobile friendly headphone, just 22 ohm, even less power hungry then some IEM, ZX2 should have no problem to drive it.

No line out mode, but there are WM port to lineout cable to purchase.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,395 of 14,773
Thank you!

Have you considered other options before going with ZX2? I see you also have PHA3. Why not to go with e.g. AK100II which is priced approximately the same but according to reviews has more juice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back