SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #857 of 14,755

....the Sony batteries do seem rather large for their smallish capacity compared to other batteries though. I think this is due to Sony taking extra measures to make sure the battery impedance is low for better audio as well as designs for battery longevity. For example, Sony actually state the impedance of the ZX2 battery as 19mΩ, which is presumably low, but we don't have specs from other dap makers to compare to. The battery cell walls of various batteries also vary in thickness, thicker cell walls will have a longer MTBF life span and higher endurance. So don't just take a battery at face value, there are several factors affecting its quality, and I'm sure the ZX2 will have a higher quality battery than daps that use generic lithium batteries. Just saying. With my DX90 I simply cannot bear to listen to it without a Samsung Japan battery, it was a big wake up call for me, that two batteries of same physical size and mAH could sound so different due to presumably internal impedance differences.

I've never owned a DX90 (do intend to, at some point), but I've long-suspected a possible inadequacy in the current delivery to, &/or through the circuitboard, but lack sufficient technical knowledge to explicate this. I'm a big fan of quick-swappable batteries, in order to achieve decent DAP size/weight with no problematic runtime penalty, but I have mentioned to a number of people (privately & publicly) that the battery in the DX90 may be an achilles heel, in terms of current delivery. It seems you have found this may be true.

As for the size of the ZX2 cell perhaps being relatively large, and, if so, perhaps by virtue of being specifically designed for low-impedance, I concede that there might, perhaps, be a degree of truth behind that.

My experience with Sony batteries are good. Even use their 18650 ones

Oh, I am no stranger to Sony batteries, in my DAPs - I fitted one to my J3, only a month ago
biggrin.gif

(because the J3 has such tiny current draw, and tiny current output, the cellphone battery performance isn't a negative factor, in this particular DAP)

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #858 of 14,755
I'm curious about the speculation surrounding the balanced output that may possibly be used on the ZX2. And I was wondering if T.R.A.N.C.E. (or anyone else, for that matter) might be able to speak to a question I've been pondering.

So, let's assume that the ZX2 does in fact use a balanced output with a 3.5mm TRRS socket.

Ultimately, my question isn't about compatibility—the presumption is, any TRS-equiped headphone will work just fine in a TRRS socket. Instead, I'm wondering about the benefits of "upgrading" an existing pair of headphones, which were originally designed to use unbalanced cables and a TRS jack.

Assuming one's headphones have detachable cables, can a new set be purchased which include a TRRS jack? Or for those without detachable cables, can a simple adapter be purchased? Will doing this actually convey any of the benefits that a balanced output is supposed to provide?

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #860 of 14,755
Looking back at that ZX2 pic, on the previous page, there's a very-hard-to-justify wastage of space in that chassis. Look at all that thin air doing nothing; there's heaps of it.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #861 of 14,755

So, let's assume that the ZX2 does in fact use a balanced output with a 3.5mm TRRS socket.

Ultimately, my question isn't about compatibility—the presumption is, any TRS-equiped headphone will work just fine in a TRRS socket. Instead, I'm wondering about the benefits of "upgrading" an existing pair of headphones, which were originally designed to use unbalanced cables and a TRS jack.

Assuming one's headphones have detachable cables, can a new set be purchased which include a TRRS jack? Or for those without detachable cables, can a simple adapter be purchased? Will doing this actually convey any of the benefits that a balanced output is supposed to provide?

Yes any TRS plug works in any TRRS socket. Any iem with detachable cables can swap to cables with balanced TRRS plug.[size=12.7272720336914px] However a[/size][size=12.7272720336914px] balanced adaptor will not provide any benefits whatsoever, and will in fact degrade the sound, using single ended is better.[/size]

Looking back at that ZX2 pic, on the previous page, there's a very-hard-to-justify wastage of space in that chassis. Look at all that thin air doing nothing; there's heaps of it.

Not a whole lot that can be done though. The empty space below the battery will house various electronics, wifi, bluetooth, etc. The empty space in the audio circuit is kind of hard to optimize with the os-con caps, super cap and the thick wiring all swimming around there.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #863 of 14,755
have you ordered stuff from MP4 Nation? fedex tracking says it is at Apodaca, Nuevo Leon, Mexico with the status of CLEARANCE DELAY- Import, why? if it's just one cable

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #864 of 14,755
  I'm curious about the speculation surrounding the balanced output that may possibly be used on the ZX2. And I was wondering if T.R.A.N.C.E. (or anyone else, for that matter) might be able to speak to a question I've been pondering.

As T.R.A.N.C.E indicated, you cannot use an adapter to convert a TRS jack to TRRS.  But, in the case of phones without detachable cables, re-terminate them with a TRRS jack and use an adapter to convert it to TRS for single ended output when you need that.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #865 of 14,755

Besides the obvious 4 wire balanced signal going to the 3.5mm socket, there could be some evidence in this photo that the socket is either TRS or TRRS. There is two visible gold contacts on the bottom of the socket, if they are both in the bottom half then the socket is balanced TRRS socket, because a TRS socket would only have a single contact in its bottom half.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #867 of 14,755
don't think anyone has posted this, but Sony Singapore has recently launched a pre-order campaign for the zx2. Price is $1599 SGD, so after conversion that's about $1180 USD. Delivery expected to be February 9th-13th.

The 'interesting' wrinkle is that they are offering discounts on Sony audio gear purchased with the pre-order - more details at this link (prices all in SGD).

I will say that after spending some time with the in-store demo set, I came away quite impressed with the UI and SQ. No, its not as good as an AK240, or even a Calyx M - but its *very* close and a *lot* easier to use.

http://www.sony.com.sg/microsite/walkman/zx2/preorder.html?hpid=nw-zx2-preorder%3Afacebook%3Astatusupdate

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #868 of 14,755
Ok, I finally did it, I went to the Sony Store and ordered two Sony NW-ZX2's Walkman's.
I just received in the mail from Japan my new JVC HA FX 1100's and last week I received my Sony XBA Z5's. I returned the Shure SE846 and instead bought the Sony's and JVC's. The SE 846 were not right for me, I wanted a little more bass then they provided, I'm really glad I returned them, because I really like the two I got to replace them. Now the waiting begins...... my birthday is March 2, so anytime around there is great. Thanks for all the reviews and insights, I learned a lot from you guys, I'm normally a home stereo type of guy, but pretty much dead ended with my current system for now and began to look at the iem's and portable dacs the AK 240's were a little to rich for my blood and this new Sony fitted the bill much better. I'll add my impressions when I receive the new Sony dac.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #869 of 14,755
Test drove the Sony ZX2 yesterday for an entire 75 minutes with my Miracle and TG334. Below are some thoughts on it. Apologies if it's slightly lengthy.

Built quality is fantastic. Photos do not do justice to it. ZX2 is extremely well built and definitely qualifies as premium. I'd go as far as to say it is as well built as the AK240. I like the fact that Sony has put external controls on the side. 
Throughout the 75 min of listening and fiddling, ZX2 remained cool to the touch. As it does not support DSD natively, I only played 16 and 24 bit files.

I should explain that I struggled to fall in love with the ZX1 despite its handsome looks, great UI and generally good sound. I was rather underwhelmed with its bright and clean tonality, and the fact that it is underpowered didn't help either. 
With ZX2, Sony made significant changes. Firstly, they finally added a micro SD slot. Then, they increased ZX2's power. Most significantly, they retuned ZX2. 

ZX2's signature is a big departure from ZX1. No longer sounding bright and digital, ZX2 now sounds natural, organic, with a slightly meaty tonality, but never warm. Though it is not the most open sounding DAP, it has a good amount of air and space. PRaT is still speedy despite tonality sporting more meat.
Soundstage is not particularly wide, but it has very good layering. Imaging is pinpoint, and clarity is very good. Details is present in an organic and smooth way, but never in my face.

Bass is relatively tight, with good texture and impact. Mids is slightly forward, but never aggressive. Vocals sound very lovely with the slightly meaty tonality. Treble is extended and very smooth, with a tinge of sweetness I previously don't get on ZX1. With ZX2, I could listen to my music all day and not get fatigue.

Before ZX2 was available for demo, Sony was widely panned for announcing a successor to the flagship ZX1 so soon. Furthermore, the high price of SGD$1,599, compared to ZX1's SGD$899 didn't help matters at all. I admit; I was among the sceptic.
However after spending 75 long but satisfying minutes with the ZX2, my opinion of it has changed. 

Sure, the price tag of SGD$1,599 is rather steep, and maybe SGD$1,399 might have been a more reasonable price tag, I like the ZX2. A lot. Sony has made a real effort this time. Despite the ZX2 failing to play DSD natively (it's rubbish, since Sony owns DSD), it plays PCM really well. The sound quality is stellar, and as a whole package (built, UI and battery life), I'd choose the ZX2 over Lotoo Paw Gold, QLS 360, AK 100/120 ii, Cowon P1 and Cayin N6. 

That is how much I like the ZX2.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #870 of 14,755
  Test drove the Sony ZX2 yesterday for an entire 75 minutes with my Miracle and TG334. Below are some thoughts on it. Apologies if it's slightly lengthy.

Built quality is fantastic. Photos do not do justice to it. ZX2 is extremely well built and definitely qualifies as premium. I'd go as far as to say it is as well built as the AK240. I like the fact that Sony has put external controls on the side. 
Throughout the 75 min of listening and fiddling, ZX2 remained cool to the touch. As it does not support DSD natively, I only played 16 and 24 bit files.

I should explain that I struggled to fall in love with the ZX1 despite its handsome looks, great UI and generally good sound. I was rather underwhelmed with its bright and clean tonality, and the fact that it is underpowered didn't help either. 
With ZX2, Sony made significant changes. Firstly, they finally added a micro SD slot. Then, they increased ZX2's power. Most significantly, they retuned ZX2. 

ZX2's signature is a big departure from ZX1. No longer sounding bright and digital, ZX2 now sounds natural, organic, with a slightly meaty tonality, but never warm. Though it is not the most open sounding DAP, it has a good amount of air and space. PRaT is still speedy despite tonality sporting more meat.
Soundstage is not particularly wide, but it has very good layering. Imaging is pinpoint, and clarity is very good. Details is present in an organic and smooth way, but never in my face.

Bass is relatively tight, with good texture and impact. Mids is slightly forward, but never aggressive. Vocals sound very lovely with the slightly meaty tonality. Treble is extended and very smooth, with a tinge of sweetness I previously don't get on ZX1. With ZX2, I could listen to my music all day and not get fatigue.

Before ZX2 was available for demo, Sony was widely panned for announcing a successor to the flagship ZX1 so soon. Furthermore, the high price of SGD$1,599, compared to ZX1's SGD$899 didn't help matters at all. I admit; I was among the sceptic.
However after spending 75 long but satisfying minutes with the ZX2, my opinion of it has changed. 

Sure, the price tag of SGD$1,599 is rather steep, and maybe SGD$1,399 might have been a more reasonable price tag, I like the ZX2. A lot. Sony has made a real effort this time. Despite the ZX2 failing to play DSD natively (it's rubbish, since Sony owns DSD), it plays PCM really well. The sound quality is stellar, and as a whole package (built, UI and battery life), I'd choose the ZX2 over Lotoo Paw Gold, QLS 360, AK 100/120 ii, Cowon P1 and Cayin N6. 

That is how much I like the ZX2.

Thanks excellent review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back