SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #151 of 14,755
So the DSD playback is not native,is converted to PCM?
So even the internals are high quality, a native DSD will sound better?
Someone explain please :)

Not really, some people have just gotten it into their heads that native DSD sounds better than PCM DSD, but that's not actually true. Truth is whichever is implemented better in the device will sound better.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #152 of 14,755
Non of all these high end components will matter when paired with an external amp right? I will be getting the PHA-3 to be able to use the balanced connection of my MDR-Z7. And if I'm going to use PHA-3 any source/transport able to play hi-res would suffice. So I don't really see the point of combining the PHA-3 with such an expensive Walkman.

For portability it's probably great though. Just wish it offered balanced connection.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #154 of 14,755
This is one player that's on my list, in fact I will be visiting japan in June, and the ZX1 was suppose to be the player I was going to buy, and I was just thinking a few months back, will they have a improved version called the ZX2, and it so happens I was looking at the CES detail today and come across this.

From my understanding, buying from japan will probably cost the least, this is the case with the ZX1, so hopefully it will be cheaper in japan and with the good exchange rates and tax free, it should be even better.

I'm not an expert when come to comparing good quality music, but I'm sure the quality of the ZX2 will surpass that of the ZX1.

I'm just concerned about the size, as it looks bigger, and also, has anyone found out the processing power of the CPU, when the ZX1 is a Dual core 1Ghz, 1Ghz ram, whiles only 1GB is allocated for the OS and apps. The ZX2 only has just under 2GB for apps. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #156 of 14,755
Jan 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #158 of 14,755
Jan 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #159 of 14,755

Not really, some people have just gotten it into their heads that native DSD sounds better than PCM DSD, but that's not actually true. Truth is whichever is implemented better in the device will sound better.

Exactly and DoP is the same as native, just a different way to get there. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #160 of 14,755
Non of all these high end components will matter when paired with an external amp right? I will be getting the PHA-3 to be able to use the balanced connection of my MDR-Z7. And if I'm going to use PHA-3 any source/transport able to play hi-res would suffice. So I don't really see the point of combining the PHA-3 with such an expensive Walkman.

For portability it's probably great though. Just wish it offered balanced connection.

In that case all u need is the nwz-a17 unless u want to play DSD or wireless streaming.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #161 of 14,755
UK Sony site shows GBP 949

Maybe a better coordinated release this time in UK?
ZX1 had such delays, then a voucher I had refused to work, then when it did I couldn't order because out if stock. In fact all of twenty units arrived. I know importing is cheaper but past troubles stopped me doing this. So peeved I went and bought Fiio AND iBasso instead. Still keen on ZX1 if any clearance!

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #162 of 14,755
LoL is it good or not? The thread is confusing me.
I'd be hard pushed to think it is [from a cost perspective if nothing else] twice as good as the ZX1...

A&K have a lot to answer for with their crazy prices driving the market...

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #164 of 14,755
I'd be hard pushed to think it is [from a cost perspective if nothing else] twice as good as the ZX1...

A&K have a lot to answer for with their crazy prices driving the market...

Come on Duncan,you are more experienced than many of us,you know thats not how things work in the audiophile world.Are your se846 2x better than se535?
The zx2 will probably be around 10-15% better in SQ than zx1 with more storage,better battery,probably better amp and a huge premium as the now top of sonys dap line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back