SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #11,236 of 14,755
True, and I suspect the parts list isn't as inexpensive as say the DP-X1 internals, but my point remains, that sometimes good enough is just that, good enough. What DAC chip does it use?

Dual Burrbrown DAC , not sure of specific model number as I have yet to dig into the components yet. ...hang on lol...I will dig

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #11,237 of 14,755
Dual Burrbrown DAC , not sure of specific model number as I have yet to dig into the components yet. ...hang on lol...I will dig

There you go, all of their DAC chips seem to be easy to implement in a warmer DAC.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11,238 of 14,755
I had it on a tour review unit and spent some good time with it, yes....

well comooooon

you got a mojo on a tour, and you end up getting an idsd,

why don't you explain briefly which you prefer ( i know its not the right thread for it )

and may be which is better to stack with zx2 ( not the looks for sure, i mean the sound :D )

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #11,240 of 14,755
Don't know why no one uses PHA3 with the ZX2? I find it a good combo with my headphones and iems but I do not like hard to drive headphones as it may be lacking and beats the purpose.

I've been eyeing a PHA3 for a little while now; going back and forth between it and a HA2. Actually just played with a PHA3 this past weekend at a Best Buy display.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11,241 of 14,755
well comooooon

you got a mojo on a tour, and you end up getting an idsd,

why don't you explain briefly which you prefer ( i know its not the right thread for it )

and may be which is better to stack with zx2 ( not the looks for sure, i mean the sound :D )

:) I will get it in my review for sure. Be patience

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #11,243 of 14,755
Apr 5, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #11,245 of 14,755
Don't know why no one uses PHA3 with the ZX2? I find it a good combo with my headphones and iems but I do not like hard to drive headphones as it may be lacking and beats the purpose.

I have been using the combo for over a year now and do really enjoy the paring.  I think people will appreciate the PHA3 a lot more if they are able to utilize its balanced configuration.  Despite the short battery life of 5 hours, the PHA-3 has a lot going for it.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #11,247 of 14,755
I have always loved burr brown dacs the most from off the shelf DACs. I had an enlightened audiio designs processor with an old burr brown dac chip. In the early 2000's it was about 5 grand. I got rid of it years ago when i moved over to ayre and Jeff Rowland. Since then, I have cycled through many dacs with frustration. Even though that old dac had limited ability, it converted digital better than most I have heard. I sold my PSAudio, Ayre Dac and a few others feeling that my old dac did a better job for redbook. I may try the new Ayre QB9-DSD based on what i have read but it really taught me a lesson. Higher resolution or better tech does not always equal better sound. The implementation of the DAC is just as important. I am convinced my old burr brown was implemented superbly because even the Levinson dacs I heard during that era were no better and they cost a lot more. My point? Buy with your ears. I don't know a single 2 channel fan that would ever buy a single component, cable or etc.. without extensive demo time. Yet, headphone and IEM rigs have now overlapped lower end hi-fi 2 channel gear and I am amazed how many blind purchases take place. I feel like I am on a Dennis Miller rant here, but seriously! Our best instruments are our ears and none of us hear exactly the same. Buying gear from forum reviews is like car racing based on magazines 0-60 times. End rant. :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #11,248 of 14,755
  5 HOURS???   

You get more with SE headphone output.  :D

I have always loved burr brown dacs the most from off the shelf DACs. I had an enlightened audiio designs processor with an old burr brown dac chip. In the early 2000's it was about 5 grand. I got rid of it years ago when i moved over to ayre and Jeff Rowland. Since then, I have cycled through many dacs with frustration. Even though that old dac had limited ability, it converted digital better than most I have heard. I sold my PSAudio, Ayre Dac and a few others feeling that my old dac did a better job for redbook. I may try the new Ayre QB9-DSD based on what i have read but it really taught me a lesson. Higher resolution or better tech does not always equal better sound. The implementation of the DAC is just as important. I am convinced my old burr brown was implemented superbly because even the Levinson dacs I heard during that era were no better and they cost a lot more. My point? Buy with your ears. I don't know a single 2 channel fan that would ever buy a single component, cable or etc.. without extensive demo time. Yet, headphone and IEM rigs have now overlapped lower end hi-fi 2 channel gear and I am amazed how many blind purchases take place. I feel like I am on a Dennis Miller rant here, but seriously! Our best instruments are our ears and none of us hear exactly the same. Buying gear from forum reviews is like car racing based on magazines 0-60 times. End rant.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try Schitt Yggy.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #11,249 of 14,755
I used an adapter like this one on my AK120mk1 with a 256GB card. The only issues for me were that the interface got very sluggish, apparently from the size of the library, and it seemed to make the 'random unmounting' bug of that player worse. When I get back from my business trip I can try plugging it into the Sony and see how it works. 

640GB would be sweet!

Quote:

solution :   MicroSD -> SD adapter + 512 Gb SD.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #11,250 of 14,755
That is a good question
smily_headphones1.gif

comoooon buddy, stop wasting time and finish the review :D

i have been tempted by idsd and mojo,

the idsd seems to have lots of cool features,

the picture you posted is that digital out from zx2 ?

if so, how does it sound using digital out vs (headphone out or line out) through with idsd ?

how good is the xbass feature implemented also  ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back