SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #7,981 of 14,773
ι 

+1 here, around 40 hours for me and it just blows my expectations away already, so much better than the ZX1 and any source I ever had (the best one I had was the PHA-3). It feels like the end game although I know that this rabbit hole probably goes further I just didn't imagine that a DAP could sound this good (then again, I never dabbed into the 1K+ territory before). 

I knew something was different when I just forgot about the gear and it becomes all about the music and the emotions, big smile on my face, toe tapping and feeling good oh my it's almost a drug !

not almost - music IS  drug for me

waiting one more hour to finish work and go home and listen to some music on my ZX2  

gs1000.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #7,982 of 14,773
ι 

waiting one more hour to finish work and go home and listen to some music on my ZX2  

:gs1000smile:

I listen to my music on the bed, in the car, in the office....everywhere :D. It is my therapy, and my relaxation, energizer, entertainment, hobby....jeez!

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #7,985 of 14,773
Hey guys, though I'd share something interesting with everyone in regards to running trrs with this dap.

I recently purchased a reference silver litz cable from Ted @ headphonelounge terminated to a trrs plug for my se846 for this dap. I've noticed some changes immediately after swapping to trrs from the standard plug. Firstly, as everyone knows, upon powering up the player, you would notice a hiss that gradually fades to black in about a sec or two (at least with the se846). However, after changing to trrs, that initial hiss is much more softer, subtle and it fades to black much faster, like a split second only. I guess additional/separate ground of the trrs does work in some ways and it is noticeable from the get go.

Next up, the sound also received some changes at least to my ears. It is also subtle but enough for you to notice it. The separation is much better. It also "cleans" up the sound alot, felt more smooth. Treble seems to have improved further over my previous silver litz cable also from Ted (terminated to a standard plug). This improvement add more air and space to the sound. Soundstage is thus opened up a little.

Please note that these changes are very subtle but noticeable to my ears and it does create a more enjoyable listening experience for me. Don't think I'll be able to use standard plugs for this player anymore.

Lastly, just a small comparison to my previous dap which I have used for almost 2 years on a daily basis, the dx90, the zx2 definitely feels more on the warm side. My ears and brain are still trying to get used to it. Very different sound signature, both are good but I kind of miss the Treble on the dx90 and somehow I feel the dx90 is a little more spacious. Don't be mistaken because the zx2 Soundstage is also excellent but due to the little bit more of a sparkle to the dx90, to my ears it feels a tad more open. So far I'm really loving the zx2. Already have 110 hours into it.

Tried the new Campfire Audio Layra with the zx2, seems to be a good match with the zx2. So tempted to purchase one.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #7,987 of 14,773
Hey guys, though I'd share something interesting with everyone in regards to running trrs with this dap.

I recently purchased a reference silver litz cable from Ted @ headphonelounge terminated to a trrs plug for my se846 for this dap. I've noticed some changes immediately after swapping to trrs from the standard plug. Firstly, as everyone knows, upon powering up the player, you would notice a hiss that gradually fades to black in about a sec or two (at least with the se846). However, after changing to trrs, that initial hiss is much more softer, subtle and it fades to black much faster, like a split second only. I guess additional/separate ground of the trrs does work in some ways and it is noticeable from the get go. Next up, the sound also received some changes at least to my ears. It is also subtle but enough for you to notice it. The separation is much better. It also "cleans" up the sound alot, felt more smooth. Treble seems to have improved further over my previous silver litz cable also from Ted (terminated to a standard plug). This improvement add more air and space to the sound. Soundstage is thus opened up a little. Please note that these changes are very subtle but noticeable to my ears and it does create a more enjoyable listening experience for me. Don't think I'll be able to use standard plugs for this player anymore.

Thanks for the input I guess this will be next on my list although the Velvet don't seem to be as sensitive to hiss (30-40 ohm depending on tuning into one of the 3 modes) but impedance is so low on the SE846 with its 8ohm I wonder if it doesn't come into play. I need to give a look at what cable fits best my taste before picking an option but TRRS seems to be the consensus on getting the most out of the ZX2.

Something Sony is not straightforward about (or even if I remember interviews correctly, claiming it's irrelevant) is output impedance on the ZX2... which probably means it's not that low. I remember from my SE846 days that I chose the FiiO E18 for that reason (output impedance < 1ohm) as it can be a factor with such low IEM impedance (I am no tech so I wouldn't know the math behind all of it, I remember something about headphones working best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance).

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #7,988 of 14,773

ι 

gs1000.gif

I listen to my music on the bed, in the car, in the office....everywhere
biggrin.gif
. It is my therapy, and my relaxation, energizer, entertainment, hobby....jeez!

I listen to music on the house, at work in the car, except in the toilet
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #7,989 of 14,773
Thanks for the input I guess this will be next on my list although the Velvet don't seem to be as sensitive to hiss (30-40 ohm depending on tuning into one of the 3 modes) but impedance is so low on the SE846 with its 8ohm I wonder if it doesn't come into play. I need to give a look at what cable fits best my taste before picking an option but TRRS seems to be the consensus on getting the most out of the ZX2.

Something Sony is not straightforward about (or even if I remember interviews correctly, claiming it's irrelevant) is output impedance on the ZX2... which probably means it's not that low. I remember from my SE846 days that I chose the FiiO E18 for that reason (output impedance < 1ohm) as it can be a factor with such low IEM impedance (I am no tech so I wouldn't know the math behind all of it, I remember something about headphones working best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance).

I don't think it is that high. I have no hiss with IM-04 at 10 ohms

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #7,990 of 14,773
I get very noticeable hiss with my JH13 when the screen is turned on even at it's lowest. In an interview with one of the head designers at Sony he was asked about output impedance and his answer was that it is an irrellevant concept that has no meaning for the ZX2

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #7,991 of 14,773

I'm no expert when it comes to this whole output impedance thing. But what you've said is generally what people has been saying. In any case, I'm more of the type of person who cares lesser for the technical aspects of this hobby but more for what the end result (sound delivered) makes me feel. If it sounds right to me, it's right. If it ain't, then it may just be not my cup of tea. :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #7,992 of 14,773
I get very noticeable hiss with my JH13 when the screen is turned on even at it's lowest. In an interview with one of the head designers at Sony he was asked about output impedance and his answer was that it is an irrellevant concept that has no meaning for the ZX2

I think you should have Sony to check out your DAP. Because this is really strange that mine doesn't have it ? But I don't have JH

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7,993 of 14,773
I think you should have Sony to check out your DAP. Because this is really strange that mine doesn't have it ? But I don't have JH

It's not really a problem as it is only when the screen is turned on and it never is when listening to music

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #7,994 of 14,773
It's not really a problem as it is only when the screen is turned on and it never is when listening to music

I assume you don't mean the 3 second hiss when you first turn on the device from sleep ..  I get that as well with Westone ES5 and it dies down quickly and not present ever again during playing music .. If the hiss is permanent then you have an issue .. if not it is one of the design quirks i guess 

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7,995 of 14,773
Hi everyone,

Just wondering - has anyone bought the charging cradle for the ZX2? It's only available from Japan and its called BCR-NWH10.

I bought it for convenience because I use my ZX2 to supply my home setup through a Chord Hugo. However, I noticed an immediate improvement in the sound over the USB adapter cable alone. It wasn't huge; the instruments just seemed a little more separated and the overall sound felt more open.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back