SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #6,872 of 14,773
Here you go. Works fine with my ZX2 and external AMP. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UCI2CI/ref=yo_ii_img

He's looking for digital out (USB-Micro), for use with external DAC.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #6,874 of 14,773

He's looking for digital out (USB-Micro), for use with external DAC.

Yes looking for digital out hi res single cable to micro usb

As mentioned in post 6855, that is your only option, get the cube stand, which has the digital out built in, then you can use any USB cable, the cube stand and the digital cable you have is the only digital out accessories the zx2 supports.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #6,875 of 14,773
I love the Z7. It has a unique way to work with bass. You feel it in a very special way. To me a bass drum sounds real that way for the first time. And the kids and treble are also exactly how I want them to be. You need some time to get used to this. For me it is audio Nirvana.

I have the Z7 paired with the ZX1 as well, and I find it quite nice.  It's the reason I haven't yet upgraded to the PHA3.  I would think the ZX2 would be stellar as well.  I do have the Kimber cables, and I do recommend them.  They made my Z7s notably more efficient.  Meaning I turn the volume up on the ZX1 less to achieve the same volume.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #6,876 of 14,773
I have the Z7 paired with the ZX1 as well, and I find it quite nice.  It's the reason I haven't yet upgraded to the PHA3.  I would think the ZX2 would be stellar as well.  I do have the Kimber cables, and I do recommend them.  They made my Z7s notably more efficient.  Meaning I turn the volume up on the ZX1 less to achieve the same volume.

Kiimmmmmmmbbbbbeerr !!!

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #6,877 of 14,773

Thank you, and it made a lot of senses as KimberKable has better quality :D. I really do want to customize my TRRS cables for the Z7 :D

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #6,878 of 14,773
I'm mega late to the party, but I finally bought a ZX2. Quite possibly my favorite combo ever was ZX1 + Portapro, so I look forward to testing out ZX2 + Portapro. Don't look down on the Portapro people, if you don't own one get one asap 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #6,879 of 14,773
I'm mega late to the party, but I finally bought a ZX2. Quite possibly my favorite combo ever was ZX1 + Portapro, so I look forward to testing out ZX2 + Portapro. Don't look down on the Portapro people, if you don't own one get one asap :ksc75smile:

But...but..it is not Hi-Res :D....ultrasound do massage your brain as per scientist ser....joking

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #6,880 of 14,773
You write this long comment just by comparing higher price = higher SQ?

Based on experience with AK and their product line up, absolutely.
Haha sorry but it's true it gets better the pricier their stuff goes.. As w most stuff...but it doesn't end there.

To be fair, we buy the highest bit player so that the sound comes out clean, then we want it crisp, next you'll want it with oomph and all emotions come into play..
Perfect Sq is so elusive, one person's poison and all differs

Ak jr, I don't doubt will sound relatively good, but just the trimmed feature set and price it's actually not good value imho compared to the competition.. I'd rather use that money to buy better headphones and stay bricked.

Being louder and unbalanced.. what makes it any better than using an iPhone/android+ Ifi dsd nano? (yes this, because it was damned good for the price it got me hooked in this hobby) Aside from eliminating the brick setup, you'll be left wanting after afew weeks. Maybe it'll sound nice.. Sure.

But it seems like an upgraded version of Ak100 (but in 24/192 and w louder capability) but without the balanced port...ermmmmmmmmmm
Ak100 wasn't really that good just better than most players at its time. But forgettable.
The balanced port and user interface made it better but even that wasn't good enough to make me buy it...I hated that balanced port on the ak240 because it was too fragile but the sq was much fuller balanced.
(plus you get to play with different cables which incidentally you might not need one but guarantee you'll want or have since you're in this hobby) which defeats the purpose of having a player without one..

You have a full sound w the zx2. Even unamped, it's amazing.. With the trrs, I've yet to try but I'm optimistic :)
where the other players just seemed louder/grainy/ugly/etc.. Zx2's quite well rounded.

Oh yeah aside from excellent eq and sq On some albums I had to amp the 240 for impact aside from spending on the 8braid.. So yeah don't have high expectations for the jr.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,881 of 14,773
Quote:
Any closer to getting your hands on the new 1964 ADEL's?

My Reply
Waiting on Chuck. Sent them my impressions weeks ago and have not heard a peep other them verifying they received them...

UPDATE: Chuck just let me know via e-mail they are being made. Look fwd to reviewing the 1964 Ears A12 CIEMs as soon as they arrive. Until then, busy with the new Questyle QP1R with Beta firmware that is in here for review (now has 80 hours on her).

All play and no work make Steven a fun boy. Oh, wait, play is my work. Play on playa
tongue_smile.gif

PHEW, glad to have heard back from Chuck. Breathe in, breathe out...

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #6,882 of 14,773
  Hello Steven;

In your report you talk about using both the ZX2 and the AKJr in your car, can you tell me how you connect them to your in car audio system, please?

Well, er, um, you see it is like this. The car is a, ummm... you should know i've got a car fettish and have raced Formula 2000 cars (earned the Driver's Championship in SCCA). So, ummmmm, it is like this.... a Bentley GTC (ducks for cover). As such, I dumped the 6 disc changer in the glovebox and have the stock Apple solution from the factory (stinks), Dice/Audiovox MediaBridge that works with Apple devices digitally (balanced analog circuitry and it's own internal DAC) and one from Pie that is 100% analog. So, here's what i did, tried them all and use the Pie analog yet 'hijacked' the analog circuitry as early as possible in the circuitry after the Molex plug on the Pie and use Kimber Kable GQ MINI-Ag silver wire to normal TRS as the car's head unit is not balanced analog (sadly). Hope this helps.

Here's a link to the Pie interface for VW cars with 6 disc changer option www.amazon.com/PIE-1998-up-Prewired-Auxiliary-Converter/dp/B000CK1WI2/

James, what car do you have, as perhaps I can help you mod to hotwire in something direct. Make/model and stereo option (does it have an external CD changer, Sirius optional input, etc or)? Basically, anything that offers some type of analog input somewhere might be 'hijacked', as BlueTooth and FM modulators are horrid things imho.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6,883 of 14,773
Hello Steven;

No need to apologise for the Bentley (is it the 12 or the 8 cylinder version?); mine is equally gas guzzling; a M-B SL600. 2009 with the Comand system, which has an integral 6 disc charger in the dash & an analog socket in the central armrest, through which I run a series 5 iPod.

Essentially I would love to swap out the iPod for the ZX2 in the armrest.

If you enjoy track racing; here is a lap I did of the Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitt (the Queen of the Nurburgring) in her 911 GT3

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=opRS_qtEqss&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DopRS_qtEqss

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,884 of 14,773
 ...an analog socket in the central armrest, through which I run a series 5 iPod.

Essentially I would love to swap out the iPod for the ZX2 in the armrest.

If you enjoy track racing; here is a lap I did of the Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitt (the Queen of the Nurburgring) in her 911 GT3

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=opRS_qtEqss&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DopRS_qtEqss

12 cyl so smooth and runs like a brick with a jet engine. Sadly, a fat pig due to all the weight yet extremely impressive in the snow (Blizzak LM60 tyres). The most fun is in the snow/ice conditions as love car control clinics and the speeds tend to be a bit, well, 'safer'. BTW, can't seem to load your vid and love driving the ring. Oh, wait, I decoded your link www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRS_qtEqss

OMG, you're with the Queen of the Ring!!!!!!!!! I LOVE her!!! Her bit on Top Gear with the Van was outstanding.

Ok, back to audio ... Since you already have analog input within your car, just use that if you can. Or do you mean it is an older Apple proprietary jack that then takes the analog out of the jack to feed the stereo. If so, they make adapters for that.

Am not familiar with what is behind the stock radio if you're seeking to get the very best you can. Maybe you can take the head unit out of the dash and then hijack into the analog input that is used for the armrest. You'd simply need the schematic of the rear Molex jacks (bet you the guys on one of the Mercedes boards has it in PDF). Here is what I found and think this the system you have

www.ebay.com/itm/like/261289095323?lpid=82&chn=ps

So for best sound quality, find the analog input on the main head unit and directly wire in the cable of your choosing and terminate the other end with a standard male headphone jack of course. Wish I could help more, yet am sure there is a way and some brilliant installer near you knows how to do this. Just make sure you get a good amount of headphone cabling if you're going from the head unit out you'll want to hide the wire PLUS keep it as far away from power wires to avoid picking up electrical noise, etc.

BTW: If this is your system it uses fiber optics and so perhaps not something to toy with to remove if you're not familiar with things. IMHO let a pro do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79tZkiHAuc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back