SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 17, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #661 of 14,755
Only good think in this device is android sistem . You can play some easy games the browser and wifi. But the sound I don't now. Not so much power for 1k device. The device in my opinion is gorgeous. Same like zx1. But everything is about the sound in final stage

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #662 of 14,755
Things continue to get more interesting in the DAP market, what with the ZX2, X7, Calyx-M, Plenue P1, and now:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653904/acoustic-research-mysterious-new-audiophile-dap/150#post_11231664

AR's first DAP effort was a bit strange, but this one looks more interesting.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #663 of 14,755
indeed.   I just hope it has a  Digital-out (USB or Toshlink)

Anyway... I went to a SONY store to see the "Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet compact".
It is a very nice device and TIDAL and QOBUZ on it really look good are are usable thanks to the 8" screen.   I am tempted....
I will try to test if a MicroSD->SD adapter + a 256 Gb SD card is supported.  If yes, then... 288 Gb ! BINGO !

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #664 of 14,755
    I just hope it has a  Digital-out (USB or Toshlink)

Sadly, I doubt it.

I've seen AR-M2 battery life mentioned as 8hrs, which, let's face it, is... average, much like Cowon's Plenue P1
popcorn.gif

I appreciate Sony making a proper effort with battery life on the ZX2. I really do. It's just that I think they've gone too far, by crippling the power output to an absurdly-low 15mw pc and by making the ZX2 unnecessarily bulky, by comparison with the ZX1.

IMO, a lithium cell in between the size of that in the ZX1 and that in the ZX2 would have been more pocket-friendly, and an increase in headphone power output was very definitely warranted. Even at 70-100mw pc, they could still have achieved better than 10hr battery life.  30-60hr battery life is nice, but not at the cost of unnecessary bulk and puny power output (OK, it may help for power-guzzling WMPort => external DAC purposes, but still, that's not really the primary priority for true pocket use, and a way of charging simultaneously during DAC usage would mostly solve non-pocket external DAC usage issues - something the new dock appears to address...)

With 8hr (approx) battery life, and (I anticipate) probably no digital-out, I don't think the AR-M2 will be for me, but there are more and more DAPs of this kind of form-factor appearing, and, sooner or later, each of us is going to find a model whose various spec compromises suits our individual needs. So, in that respect, I say the more the merrier.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #665 of 14,755

I very much doubt it will be added in future. The Smartwatch 3 has an updated walkman remote app, but it still doesn't have folder browse. The only addition is support for importing playlists from your Walkman. And the Smartwatch 3 isn't even compatible with ZX2 as it requires android 4.3 and above lol.

A few posts back there was talk of using your smart phone as a remote. Does the phone version of the app have folder browsing?

This would seem to be a good solution for me, since I'd want to have my walkman safely stashed in my bag and I always have my phone on quickdraw from my right pocket. I've got an unlocked Sony SO-05D Docomo jp phone right now, would make a cool remote for the 21st Century..? The local Sony models are waaay too big imo..

The apparant low power output on the ZX2 really isn't bothering me since I only use IEMs anyway,

I'm thinking save all this year then Tokyo trip Xmas 2015, pickup ZX2, dock, UDA-1, some small bookshelves, latest Sony docomo phone and I'll have a cool new toy for my desk and on the move..should last me a few years, especially if I like it so much I decide to rip all my CDs...maybe by then there will be a way to rip SACD???

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #666 of 14,755
I like the double capacity battery, dont mind the extra thickness personaly.

If you really want more power from ZX2 just swap out the 2.7v 350mF Supercapacitor for a Murata 5.5v 1000mF Supercapacitor. Its an easy 3 tab solder job and I gaurantee 2-3x more power, can't comment on sound quality thou lol.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #667 of 14,755
If you really want more power from ZX2 just swap out the 2.7v 350mF Supercapacitor for a Murata 5.5v 1000mF. Its an easy 3 tab solder job and I gaurantee 2-3x more power, seriously!

Thanks for the guarantee, but I hope you'll forgive my finding it very hard to believe that's things are that simple in reality.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #668 of 14,755

Thanks for the guarantee, but I hope you'll forgive my finding it very hard to believe that's things are that simple in reality.

Well, there are plenty of skilled solderers that switch out op amps all the time....

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #670 of 14,755
54bb15414af8e.png

Just for kicks here's yet another dirt-cheap Android 4.4 phone for 50 bucks with free shipping for some countries, those specs kinda suck but good enough when we're just using that as a remote control for ZX2 with TeamViewer

http://unwire.hk/2015/01/08/elephone-g1-smartphone-only-cost-49/
http://www.1949deal.com/elephone-g1-mtk6582m-quad-core-1-3ghz-android-4-4-smartphone-512mb-ram-4gb-rom-4-5-inch-fwvga-ips-screen-3g-black.html

854x480 screen is an exact match for ZX2 and that should be good for 1:1 pixel mapping with TeamViewer

http://www.elephone.hk/G1.html
http://www.elephone.hk/readNews/1107.html
http://www.elephone.hk/readevents/1111.html

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #672 of 14,755
Think I'll pass on the ZX2 and wait for an SACD walkman to come out (forever). Meanwhile I'll just keep using discmans.

Btw the absolute best sounding portable I've ever had or heard was my MZ-RH1 Hi-MD walkman. PCM transfers with my EX700s was perfection. Had an inline remote too of course (with gold plated mini jack) didn't seem to effect the sound..

I lost my job last year thought and the prices these things were going for on ebay was just too good. Sold it and my 15 1GB discs on for well over $1000. Still kind of regret it.. 

Holy crap, looking at the prices of D-E01s/D-EJ01s are going for right now on ebay, maybe time to sell one of them too?? I remember I paid maximum $40 for each of them used maybe a decade ago..
....Funny, you are me from 10 years ago...

Problem with the EJ01 was that the slot loading mechanism scratched up CDs quite easily (if the mechanism got squashed even a tiny bit, which basically meant that you couldn't use it portably for that very fear)...

I still have several Discman models, but - they are all far superseded in terms of audio quality by even modest DAPs... - Maybe, the D50 with its very crude brick wall filter could give a basic DAP from 2014/15 a run for its money, but - even that is stretching it a bit.

SACD is a format that died on its behind, so - the odds of someone making a portable playback unit that is of a high enough quality to actually beat a DSD rip are essentially nil.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #673 of 14,755
I don't know, maybe I'll just get another RH1??? I don't know anymore..stay with old tech or go with new? Nothings perfect..

btw I haven't ever had the scratching issue with my E/EJ01s, I baby my stuff though and the units always loose in a bag with the case on it, wouldn't ever put pressure or anthing heavy on it.

E/EJ01 is mediocre in SQ but at least you know it's uncompressed.

Oh I'm well aware there will never be an SACD walkman. New SACD releases continue to come out though. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #674 of 14,755
E/EJ01 is mediocre in SQ but at least you know it's uncompressed.
I don't want to stray too far from the thread topic, but I must say that by that point in time ESP was mandatory (just differing amount of buffer time), and - ironically even on the lowest setting, the audio IS compressed...

Back to the ZX2 :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #675 of 14,755
I don't want to stray too far from the thread topic, but I must say that by that point in time ESP was mandatory (just differing amount of buffer time), and - ironically even on the lowest setting, the audio IS compressed...

Back to the ZX2
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you defeat the ESP on the DE-J01?  Need to locate mine and check it.  Duncan...don't we just love this PCDP topic? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back