SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 19, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #6,511 of 14,773
Thanks @davidugly

So, say it's showing Walkman as per your illustration, which is the internal memory of the ZX2. If now you want to switch to the SD card, what do you need to do?

Turn USB storage off and quickly Just tap USB icon on top. If not it starts updating dB. Select SD storage and then turn USB storage on. Do this without ejecting the ZX2. Alternatively if you already ejected the drive, click on USB icon to switch and turn USB on. Also unchecking the connect device when plugged helps

Another thing on Mac - if device was unsuccessfully ejected previous time and try to connect next time Mac won't recognize the device. I had so much tough time figuring this out. Just hit the power off switch and turn it on back and Mac will recognize device every time. This only needed if you don't properly eject the ZX2

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #6,512 of 14,773
Thanks @davidugly

So, say it's showing Walkman as per your illustration, which is the internal memory of the ZX2. If now you want to switch to the SD card, what do you need to do?

On the NX2 there is a setting in Settings>Storage>USB Settings where you can choose if the DAP uses the internal memory (128 GB) or the SD card to read from first. Note that even if the player uses the internal memory to read from it still sees and scans your card for playback. I usually use an SD card adapter to read and write to the SDXD card and then insert it back into the NX2.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #6,513 of 14,773
On the NX2 there is a setting in Settings>Storage>USB Settings where you can choose if the DAP uses the internal memory (128 GB) or the SD card to read from first. Note that even if the player uses the internal memory to read from it still sees and scans your card for playback. I usually use an SD card adapter to read and write to the SDXD card and then insert it back into the NX2.
Thanks...

I like this approach more than my own, if the focus is always on the SD that'll suit me more than continually switching :)

Rep given :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #6,514 of 14,773
@Duncan - that's my point exactly, having to go to USB connected page, then being kicked out, then then then.
I wonder why Sony took such a convoluted approach? Just a simple menu choice asking us whether we want to use which memory whilst leaving the ZX2 plugged in isn't too much to ask, methinks.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #6,515 of 14,773
Thanks...

I like this approach more than my own, if the focus is always on the SD that'll suit me more than continually switching
smily_headphones1.gif

Rep given
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Duncan and glad that helped. I think Android sucks as an OS for this player but I love the sound so I put up with its foibles. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #6,516 of 14,773

So ideally we do this USB setting before connecting it to the Mac? And then when you need to change to the other, do we eject the chosen storage, unplug and then repeat?
There's no doubt from all the helpful replies to my question that the way Sony has done it is, shall we say, inelegant. Thanks, guys.

If the sound wasn't good, I'd get rid of it for this one design fault.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #6,517 of 14,773
So ideally we do this USB setting before connecting it to the Mac? And then when you need to change to the other, do we eject the chosen storage, unplug and then repeat?
There's no doubt from all the helpful replies to my question that the way Sony has done it is, shall we say, inelegant. Thanks, guys.

Yes, you would choose your storage device prior to plugging in the ZX2. And yes, you should eject the device before changing the main storage. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #6,518 of 14,773

You could do either / or - if for example, you have the player set up with tracks you never want to move / delete, then swap the focus in the settings menu, to external SD and - as posted by digitalzed the player will always present this when connecting to your mac...

...if wanting to swap in / out music on BOTH media, then yes, the chop and change on the fly is the way to go (less menu intensive than going in and out of the settings screen)

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #6,519 of 14,773
Okay, here's a short tutorial for transferring files wirelessly (MAC/Windows/Linux).

1) Install ES File Explorer from app store
2)From the sidebar select 'Remote Manager'
3) Hit the 'Turn ON' button. Now your phone is a ftp server.
4) Use any of the FTP Clients (FileZilla is very popular) and enter the address/port below. 
5) You will be able to see all folders on your phone (internal and sdcard), that does not require root access. Just drag and drop files from client side to server side, easy peasy.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #6,520 of 14,773
  5) You will be able to see all folders on your phone (internal and sdcard), that does not require root access. Just drag and drop files from client side to server side, easy peasy.

That's interesting since we could fix rooted ZX1 like this with USB Host Diagnostics, and then DoP is working afterwards

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/6375#post_11756373

We could figure out what's being modified by USB Host Diagnostics itself, maybe files like these are involved?

/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.accessory.xml
/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.host.xml

Compare relevant files before and after that fix is applied, then we might be able to play copycat with unrooted ZX2?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/usb-serial-for-android/d0a-k_eA9p0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/help/help-android-hardware-usb-host-xml-t2832317

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,521 of 14,773
  Okay, here's a short tutorial for transferring files wirelessly (MAC/Windows/Linux).

1) Install ES File Explorer from app store
2)From the sidebar select 'Remote Manager'
3) Hit the 'Turn ON' button. Now your phone is a ftp server.
4) Use any of the FTP Clients (FileZilla is very popular) and enter the address/port below. 

Thanks it works, only thing you didn't mention is that you have the click alt and then view and open ftp in file explorer before you can drag and drop, otherwise it's a ftp view only.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #6,523 of 14,773
I recently learned about ES File Explorer and thought that the last few posts may solve my situation. But so far, I'm not certain. Here is where I am: I have a Synology NAS and I want to stream my music from the NAS to the ZX2. I thought ES File Explorer would do it, and the posts above give the step by steps. I have been able to get to the point of the illustration above, but not certain about FileZilla or other ways where the NAS will serve as the host. In this case, would I use FileZilla Client (as instructed) or Server (which only comes in a Windows platform). Is this even the right course since I want the NAS to act as the server.

For other Synology users, Synology support advised that their DS Audio down converts all audio tracks to MP3, so that won't work for me. Any thoughts?

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #6,525 of 14,773
  I recently learned about ES File Explorer and thought that the last few posts may solve my situation. But so far, I'm not certain. Here is where I am: I have a Synology NAS and I want to stream my music from the NAS to the ZX2. I thought ES File Explorer would do it, and the posts above give the step by steps. I have been able to get to the point of the illustration above, but not certain about FileZilla or other ways where the NAS will serve as the host. In this case, would I use FileZilla Client (as instructed) or Server (which only comes in a Windows platform). Is this even the right course since I want the NAS to act as the server.

For other Synology users, Synology support advised that their DS Audio down converts all audio tracks to MP3, so that won't work for me. Any thoughts?

For streaming from Synology, 
Choose Network -> LAN -> Search, it will show all your shares on the network. Choose the Synology folder and it would show all your folders.
From here you will be able to select music files and open with your favourite music app.

You can also enable UPNP/DLNA option on Synology setting to stream to supported apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back