SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 27, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,706 of 14,773
Thanks these are technical data and claims of improvement. I was asking someone who compared it real world to judge the difference.
Nice to hear such opinions if there are any.

How can I be so sure if it was the TRRS ? Or the wire copper ? Yes, from stock cable to TRRS 7n-OCC, there is a night and day different I'm clarity, detail, transparency, soundstage, and depth of field.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,707 of 14,773
If so most likely to be TRRS cuz it does real changes in separation and impedance of the circuitry than the material change in the signal path.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,708 of 14,773
Thanks these are technical data and claims of improvement. I was asking someone who compared it real world to judge the difference.
Nice to hear such opinions if there are any.

I doubt someone has the exact same cable in both 3 and 4 pin 3.5mm arrangements. Closest would be an adapter and then you still don't know what your listening to, adapter or connection. Same if the ends are using different connectors. Point is that it will be difficult to be sure what you're hearing in something this subtle. The idea here is star grounding and it all hopefully becomes a single point somewhere. The crosstalk they're talking about is negligible with a heavy enough single wire from jack to ground as there's already so much more resistance in the cable running to the drivers themselves to help damp any minor back emf that wouldn't get grounded out by the remaining resistance in the ground path. There will be less noise with using the best possible ground and path but at this high current part of the circuit, it tend to be more about stiffness and lack of resistance. One possible added benefit here is having 2 contact points and less connection resistance for a the ground lug on a 3 pin plug.
smile.gif
 Still some tradeoffs with that as in theory, one path between 2 single points should be quieter than 2 but like I said, I suspect resistance is probably more important here and there will be less resistance at the jack in either configuration if everything else was equal.
wink_face.gif
 This shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of a DAP but it certainly wont hurt. It is nice that those with 4 pole plugs can just plug in to this and another balanced rig without incident.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,709 of 14,773
  Is NW-ZX2 able to drive something as low as HE-400i? need some confirmations

no is the factual short answer to that.
now as we have little usable spec for the sony, it's hard to say if the failure is only on principle(when we estimate amps, the headphone should be able to reach 115db for peaks in dynamic musics when played loud), or if it's really a factual failure at normal listening levels. the truth is probably in the middle. (again I'm trying to talk facts here, not subjective opinion about if it "sounds good" or is loud enough for you).

I looked the 400i up the other day for somebody else regarding the fiio X1. when taking into account that all models don't seem to have the exact mentioned impedance (I'm talking about the 400i) innerfidelity gave 45ohm, headphonia 42.9ohm. so not really the specs from fifiman at ...32ohm was it? still the conclusion is that the X1 could drive it up to almost 110db (50mw 1.5v).
so while it's really enough for most usages at normal loudness, it's not ok for 115db to make sure it will drive a very dynamic song pretty loud without distorting or clipping. so it was a practical pass and a fail for ideal expectations.

the ZX2 is specced at only 15mw, and that's into 16ohm, not 32 or 45ohm... I don't know what is the max voltage into 32ohm so F it.
if you plan to listen not loud, or mostly modern not so dynamic music, you might be very fine. but it is not the good source to fully drive the HE400i without doubt at any volume levels you like. hence my first statement. no.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,710 of 14,773
But believe it or not, you cannot use the ZX2 with PHA3 in balanced mode!
Only in single. The ZX2, as I said before can't be connected digitally except by using that one unobtainable-everywhere but the Far East- cable.

They happened to put this particular cable inside the box for connecting PHA-3 and ZX2

550459ffba461.jpeg

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,711 of 14,773
They happened to put this particular cable inside the box for connecting PHA-3 and ZX2

550459ffba461.jpeg

Yup that's the right cable to connect the a17, f887, zx1, and zx2 to the pha-3. No need to buy a special cable from China.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,712 of 14,773
I have a few questions concerning the 3.5mm TRRS jack on the ZX2.  So I understand that both 3.5 TRRS and TRS plugs will work and if you use a TRRS plug you should get an increase in sound quality.  So if you have a 3.5mm TRRS plug and you use it on any other DAP that is a single ended 3.5mm TRS jack what will happen?  If you get your IEMs terminated in a 3.5mm TRRS plug can you use them on any other single ended plug or will that cause damage?  

Update:  ok so I stopped being lazy and read over the last 200 pages or so and now I think I understand.  The 3.5 TRRS jack on the ZX2 does not output true balanced signal but utilizes two separate grounds which will yield an increase in sound quality.  And if you want to use your IEMs terminated in a 3.5mm TRRS plug you will need an adapter to listen on anything that has a 3.5mm TRS jack.  

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,713 of 14,773
So...the documentation states the ZX2 must be charged using a computer USB port. No wall plug was supplied with the device. Is there some reason I shouldn't use a usb wall charger? It seems odd that only the computer can be used but that's what the documentation says. Comment, anyone?

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,714 of 14,773
So...the documentation states the ZX2 must be charged using a computer USB port. No wall plug was supplied with the device. Is there some reason I shouldn't use a usb wall charger? It seems odd that only the computer can be used but that's what the documentation says. Comment, anyone?

I wouldn't take it too literally. they just don't provide the wall charger by default so they only mention the computer way. 5volts should still be 5 volts on the wall.
unless you got your adapter for 20cent in some shady street.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,715 of 14,773

Any standard high quality power from your phone or tablet, preferably over 1 amp supply. I use a 2.1 amp power pack from my galaxy phone.
But if stick with a good brand and not a cheap copy or clone power pack either. (there are very cheap clone power packs in the market, and they should be chucked away and could be extremely dangerous to yourself and the device being charged.)
Buy the pack from a reputable place.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,716 of 14,773
Any standard high quality power from your phone or tablet, preferably over 1 amp supply. I use a 2.1 amp power pack from my galaxy phone.
But if stick with a good brand and not a cheap copy or clone power pack either. (there are very cheap clone power packs in the market, and they should be chucked away and could be extremely dangerous to yourself and the device being charged.)
Buy the pack from a reputable place.

I have one from apple iphone 4, wonder if it's good enough , input 5v 1amp

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3,717 of 14,773
Anyone compared stock single ended IEM/Headpohne cable out vs Pseudo-double ended TRRS cable out? Any real differences in sound quality? A cable with TRRS end for W60 costs 260+ US$.
I wonder that cost justify the difference in SQ?

You would be far far better off puting that money towards a new set of iems if such a move was planned than wasting money on this cable.

Thought I'd share a Pic of my Precious..
ph34r.gif

Good picture.

How can I be so sure if it was the TRRS ? Or the wire copper ? Yes, from stock cable to TRRS 7n-OCC, there is a night and day different I'm clarity, detail, transparency, soundstage, and depth of field.

rolleyes.gif

Use your standard phone charger, no problem. 5V @ 2amp is fine.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #3,720 of 14,773

I wouldn't take it too literally. they just don't provide the wall charger by default so they only mention the computer way. 5volts should still be 5 volts on the wall.
unless you got your adapter for 20cent in some shady street.:D

Thanks to everyone who replied! I assumed that was the case and it charges fine but I was just surprised the documentation didn't mention using a wall charger. You'd think for the price they'd throw the 20 cent charger in :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back