SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,612 of 14,773
  And that is the great thing about this hobby. We all have choices! It is great. I have 4 HP 140's and 4 120's (120 and 80gb hard drives and all Rockboxed). Great daps but for me, they are not the equal of the ZX2 but that doesn't matter except for me. 

I love my iRiver.

I have also been reading about SSD mods to the device, something which I haven't done yet but plan too. Hands down one of the best MP3 players to come out in the last 15 years. The Sony sure will have the edge, but the price differential is too much IMO to justify it. Any how, nice to see a fellow iRiver enthusiast :)

I really wish they kept making these...

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,613 of 14,773

I bought it from Price Japan. They told me, when I asked, that if there is a problem I send it to Sony Japan for repair not to them. 

Oh OK then,I think under their instruction, with RMA number you will be fine, but of coarse being the solid quality Sony are known for, you would have to be unlucky to need it.

Agree i haven't had any problems with my walkmans, just my fault.. my A818 stolen, my E507 well the battery died and i dissasembled to see it inside and ruined it and my X1060 got cracked after a fall and well i threw it to recycling.

The only unluky was my Brand new VAIO fit multiflip had a screen defect, but they made me the service in 30 days and since then it has been fine withouth rpoblem, just the occasional driver quirks associated with windows like touchpad freezing during cpu intensive processing (Sensme scanning and converting ape to flac at the same time) or when i connect an USB 3 HDD or flash dribe to my  right usb port the wifi gets disconnected

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #2,614 of 14,773
  I love my iRiver.

I have also been reading about SSD mods to the device, something which I haven't done yet but plan too. Hands down one of the best MP3 players to come out in the last 15 years. The Sony sure will have the edge, but the price differential is too much IMO to justify it. Any how, nice to see a fellow iRiver enthusiast :)

I really wish they kept making these...

They had to jump to 10 times the price to start again with their top model. But hey, that's business. :^) 

I don't have SSD I use a platter. Not sure where to find the adapters now for changing to current drives but I guess there may be some on eBay. 
----------------

And what about that ZX2? Gottin' some great sounds aren't we? Oh yaaaaaa. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,618 of 14,773
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2,619 of 14,773
You expect the Internet of endless abbreviations like 'RU okay' to start spelling out every word like we have time for that? Good luck with that quest. Let's start with the really offensive problems, like saying 'loose' when you mean 'Lose'.

The problem with the use of abbreviations is that after a short while we regress into apes using grunts and sign language to communicate.
I'm a WW2 history buff so to me hearing the word 'Jap' is meant to offend.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,621 of 14,773

Nice, the sandisk pro have a neutral sound, the toshiba has more body which lessens sound stage, but the sandisk is leaner with bigger sound stage.

Between two good sounding sd cards it just comes down to preference, but some sd cards just flat out don't sound as good as others.

Good to know you can hear a difference, its small, but its there, and once you hear it you can't un-hear it, its a curse. You won't be able to tolerate inferior sd cards now 
evil_smiley.gif
 (ok not really, only if you are OCD like me lol)

Any one has any experience with the Sandisk Ultra?

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2,622 of 14,773
Sony japan now officially sell the 64GB premium sound micro SDXC card for 18500 Yen, whiles some people might think Sony is selling this to pair with the ZX2, at high price, apparently they are not. High speed micro SDXC cards in japan are expensive, whether it's Sony brand or other brands, they also have other 64GB cards at similar price, expensive as well.  

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,623 of 14,773

I bought it from Price Japan. They told me, when I asked, that if there is a problem I send it to Sony Japan for repair not to them. 

Oh OK then,I think under their instruction, with RMA number you will be fine, but of coarse being the solid quality Sony are known for, you would have to be unlucky to need it.

Agree i haven't had any problems with my walkmans, just my fault.. my A818 stolen, my E507 well the battery died and i dissasembled to see it inside and ruined it and my X1060 got cracked after a fall and well i threw it to recycling.

The only unluky was my Brand new VAIO fit multiflip had a screen defect, but they made me the service in 30 days and since then it has been fine withouth rpoblem, just the occasional driver quirks associated with windows like touchpad freezing during cpu intensive processing (Sensme scanning and converting ape to flac at the same time) or when i connect an USB 3 HDD or flash dribe to my  right usb port the wifi gets disconnected

Sony product has always lasted quite long for me, from IEM's, videos, Walkmans and Discmans at least 4 years, but I'm quite skeptic about inbuilt batteries.

Quote:

Probably if you buy from a online retailer, but I will be visiting japan, and might be purchasing it from places like BIC CAMERA ETC..
From the information I gathered, Sony japan does not provide mail in repair.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2,624 of 14,773
I'm still deciding if I'm getting the Hong Kong version (international Version) or the Japan version, but I'm lean toward the japan version as it will be cheaper, but has no warranty.

What is the difference between Japanese and Singapore (?HK?) version? On the box for the Singapore version it says "This set is explicitly for tourists, and is not designed for use in Japan. Please do not use this set in Japan."

Anyone tried the JH Roxanne with the ZX2? I hope its a good match

Yes, sounds good and has good output. Hold on, getting the Roxanne customs now and... Note I only have unbalanced cables and the setting on cable is at factory stock. (Note to self, call JH Audio today and ask for balanced cable).

With Roxanne custom there is plenty of volume output unless you like insane loud or track is recorded very low. Sound quality is good and typical of what you'd expect from the JH Audio Roxannes on a high quality player. Works fine, you're all good :)

Steven - I've enjoyed reading your review of the ZX2. I have the AK 120 and wondering if you can elaborate on the main differences between the ZX2 and AK120 from a SQ perspective.
I'm expecting the ZX2 to be more detailed, have better instrument separation, perhaps more clarity, and more top end. Your perspective would be really appreciated.

I'm waiting for the ZX2 to be available in the US.

BTW - I suspect the JH16s FP which I have  would be a nice pairing since they are a bass heavy but not sure.

Thanks much!

Mainly the diff is more details and better instrument separation like you said, yet smoother and more real/natural too (read: not akin to Wilson Audio speakers peaking at upper mids to give illusion of more detail). This is true detail not just in general, but especially the first MSec. The Sony goes deeper by an octave or so extremely cleanly than the AK120II (and AK240, review forthcoming). Highs are smoother and a touch more extended. Dynamics on the Sony, including layered instruments dynamics, are better too. It Is akin to what all the top-flight vinyl guys tout about the true analog LP versus CD (source/mastering being equal).

Have the AK120 here too and just now got it and charging battery / loading up music. Was not planning to add it into the mix as tried the AK120II during review process in Singapore and have my notes with me as am writing the review today (I hope).

ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. All WORK and no PLAY make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. All work AND no play MAKE Steven a DULL boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. All WORK and no PLAY make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. All work AND no play MAKE Steven a DULL boy. All WORK and no PLAY make Steven a dull boy. ALL work and NO play make Steven a dull boy. :frowning2:

Works fine with the Ultra 64GB XC1. 128GB version coming here shortly as was kinda offended by the $100 price versus far cheaper 64GB (get three 64GB versus one 128GB, load up diff variety on 64GB cards and swap cards as desired), yet now I want more music with me so broke down and getting one of the 128GB version from Amazon. The Sony 64GB version should be here soon I hope as put in a request for one.

Hope this all helps.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,625 of 14,773

I'm still deciding if I'm getting the Hong Kong version (international Version) or the Japan version, but I'm lean toward the japan version as it will be cheaper, but has no warranty.

What is the difference between Japanese and Singapore (?HK?) version, On the box for the Singapore version it explicitly says "This set is explicitly for tourists, and is not designed for use in Japan. Please do not us this set in Japan."

I assume there is only two version available, international version and Japanese version, although each counties will slightly modify there unit to meet all regulation within their country. 

Works fine with the Ultra 64GB XC1. 128GB version coming here shortly as was kinda offended by the $100 price versus far cheaper 64GB (get three 64GB versus one 128GB, load up diff variety on 64GB cards and swap cards as desired), yet now I want more music with me so broke down and getting one of the 128GB version from Amazon. The Sony 64GB version should be here soon I hope as put in a request for one.

Hope this all helps.

It's available  from japan now, and I might give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back