SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 14, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #13,036 of 14,773

​Thnaks for the info, now saving for a WM1A
cool.gif

I just grabbed a brand new ZX2 instead with a good discount with Sony clearing stocks to path way for WM1A. Probably the latest production batch (produced in 2016), yet better priced now with the good discount. I found limited stocks available at most shops here where I reside.

Looking at the design cues of WM1A, it should be similar sounding, but the form factor of ZX2 is nicer to me, and I am using only IEMs so it is more than sufficient to drive.

Some may not like Android based system, but I find it pretty good (can double up as GPS navigation, office tools, streaming, timer, etc. whatever a android-based mobile device could do). 

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #13,037 of 14,773

I just grabbed a brand new ZX2 instead with a good discount with Sony clearing stocks to path way for WM1A. Probably the latest production batch (produced in 2016), yet better priced now with the good discount. I found limited stocks available at most shops here where I reside.

Looking at the design cues of WM1A, it should be similar sounding, but the form factor of ZX2 is nicer to me, and I am using only IEMs so it is more than sufficient to drive.

Some may not like Android based system, but I find it pretty good (can double up as GPS navigation, office tools, streaming, timer, etc. whatever a android-based mobile device could do). 

I'm always in favor of deals, and on the ZX2 which is my current primary DAP as well. Good for you eh?

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #13,038 of 14,773

​Thnaks for the info, now saving for a WM1A
cool.gif

i am looking wether if AAdvantage shopping will have the wm1A or this in stock, i have 1000 gift miles

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #13,039 of 14,773

Congratulation, and Zx2 together with pha3 and balanced connection is just heavenly good. It is a transportable system that can even surpass some desktop setup

Having SMaster in Zx2 and ES9018S dac in the pha 3 with the options to use either one. It is the best of both worlds

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #13,040 of 14,773
So, I thought I'd throw this out there as I don't recall ever seeing a concrete conclusion on the topic.

I know it's been stated before that some people have experienced situations in which the navigation buttons on the ZX2 stop responding intermittently. Having used the ZX2 for 1.5 years, I had never experienced any such issue. I, and I think many others, chalked it up to perhaps a manufacturing defect in a certain range of units.

In any event, recently, with all the talk about the 1Z and 1A, and the debate over their lack of Wifi, I began thinking about my own usage patterns on the ZX2. Frankly, I had disabled all Google Apps and have left Wifi turned off for, probably more than a year. But, if only to prove a point to myself that Wifi is still a useful addition (if only for music discovery), I re-enabled all the Google Apps, turned on Wifi and streamed an hour-or-so of Pandora.

Afterwards, I turned off wifi, but left the Google Apps running. I wanted to see if perhaps my runtime between charges would be significantly impacted.

Well, after about a day, I noticed my navigation buttons stopped responding until I unlocked the screen. Odd. Oh well. Back to listening. And the next day, it happened again. And the next.

Okay...Let me reboot. Perhaps Pandora was doing something naughty in the background, trying to steal focus on the navigation buttons or something.

So, a few hours after a fresh reboot, and the navigation buttons stopped working again.

Alright. Time to go back and turn off all the Google Apps, and reboot.

Since doing that, I have not yet had any more instances of the navigation buttons becoming unresponsive.

Not necessarily proof of anything—as there might be multiple ways to make the issue manifest. But, from my perspective, I suspect one (or more) Google-related apps are behaving badly or are otherwise interfering with the navigation buttons after a period of time. So if you're encountering that problem, you might want to try disabling them to see if the issue goes away.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #13,042 of 14,773
  So, I thought I'd throw this out there as I don't recall ever seeing a concrete conclusion on the topic.

I know it's been stated before that some people have experienced situations in which the navigation buttons on the ZX2 stop responding intermittently. Having used the ZX2 for 1.5 years, I had never experienced any such issue. I, and I think many others, chalked it up to perhaps a manufacturing defect in a certain range of units.

In any event, recently, with all the talk about the 1Z and 1A, and the debate over their lack of Wifi, I began thinking about my own usage patterns on the ZX2. Frankly, I had disabled all Google Apps and have left Wifi turned off for, probably more than a year. But, if only to prove a point to myself that Wifi is still a useful addition (if only for music discovery), I re-enabled all the Google Apps, turned on Wifi and streamed an hour-or-so of Pandora.

Afterwards, I turned off wifi, but left the Google Apps running. I wanted to see if perhaps my runtime between charges would be significantly impacted.

Well, after about a day, I noticed my navigation buttons stopped responding until I unlocked the screen. Odd. Oh well. Back to listening. And the next day, it happened again. And the next.

Okay...Let me reboot. Perhaps Pandora was doing something naughty in the background, trying to steal focus on the navigation buttons or something.

So, a few hours after a fresh reboot, and the navigation buttons stopped working again.

Alright. Time to go back and turn off all the Google Apps, and reboot.

Since doing that, I have not yet had any more instances of the navigation buttons becoming unresponsive.

Not necessarily proof of anything—as there might be multiple ways to make the issue manifest. But, from my perspective, I suspect one (or more) Google-related apps are behaving badly or are otherwise interfering with the navigation buttons after a period of time. So if you're encountering that problem, you might want to try disabling them to see if the issue goes away.

The side buttons stops functioning when you have other music player apps in the back ground that may interfere with it functionality

The only problem of that kind i encountered was more of a slow response rather than no response.

Sometimes, i press next song but it seems there is no response, but if left for like 5 seconds then it switches the song, same with fast forward, sometimes i keep pressing fast forward while nothing happens, then give it some seconds and it just keeps skipping even though i removed my thumb off the button, but may be others just think there is no response and they keep pressing the buttons, but for me it is just a delay.

also, i think it is not frequent, i think it is a matter of some kind of full buffer with a big shuffle library or something, as it mostly happens when i skip like 4 or 5 songs quickly after each other, then the 5th skip is a bit delayed.

but i think this might be normal with a big library, i have like 20000 songs from mp3s to flacs, so while expecting some glitches, i think it runs quite well.

i always use stock player, i have other 3rd party players installed but i don't open them, are they the cause ? iam not quite sure, but if the button press is unresponsive and not just delayed, may be other apps is grabbing the button click.

The other place that is not handled perfectly, the all songs section with a big library its far from smooth and sometimes while scrolling it hangs for a bit.

but i find it pretty usable with all the features and quality, not a down side for me compared to other daps i used, or even reviews i read, because so far i don't see any player that handled big libraries OK, except may be rockboxed sansa clip+ :D

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #13,045 of 14,773
Dear all, I need some help please...
Tonight, my ZX2 will not connect via USB to my computer.
Big PC upstairs, always used with ZX2, always used as backup copies from it, not working. PC rebooted, ZX2 restarted, still no good and won't connect via USB.
Macbook air via USB won't connect either.
The ZX2 has been sat on the floor for 5 days and was ok before.
Any ideas? I can't transfer or back it up at all.
Thanks,

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #13,046 of 14,773
Dear all, I need some help please...
Tonight, my ZX2 will not connect via USB to my computer.
Big PC upstairs, always used with ZX2, always used as backup copies from it, not working. PC rebooted, ZX2 restarted, still no good and won't connect via USB.
Macbook air via USB won't connect either.
The ZX2 has been sat on the floor for 5 days and was ok before.
Any ideas? I can't transfer or back it up at all.
Thanks,

Can it charge ? Is your port damaged ? Your cables ?

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #13,049 of 14,773
Well, it could be either physical damages or software from your laptop. If it is charging, then i think it could be your laptop need uofate ? Or cables got a nick in it body ?

@Whitigir thanks for trying to help. It is now working! What??? Sometimes these things really wind me up. So I rebooted the ZX2 for the 2nd time, connected it back up, got the same 'spinny' trying to connect symbol, up it pops on the PC and away we go. Jessh. Crazy.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #13,050 of 14,773
Congratulation, and Zx2 together with pha3 and balanced connection is just heavenly good. It is a transportable system that can even surpass some desktop setup

Having SMaster in Zx2 and ES9018S dac in the pha 3 with the options to use either one. It is the best of both worlds

Quite happy with just the ZX2 matching XBA-Z5, as using the ZX2 now as travel gear and doubling up as work tools (Android apps). I am probably one of the minority users who like the android system of ZX2 - unlimited usage with different apps available in google play store, just like a mobile phone, with built quality topping any phones, built like a tank, just like my Leica M9P, and RX1RII and it is superb sounding with everlasting battery power.

So no go for me for any future models like WM1A or WM1Z (Sony own OS?). I was quite excited when Sony announced WM1A/WM1Z though. Not for WM1A/WM1Z, but the same trend when they launched ZX2, with ZX1 dropping price nicely but quickly snatched up by bargain hunters. So when the WM1A/WM1Z was announced, the retail stores here started dropping price with freebies thrown in, making net difference a very attractive price to grab a brand new latest production set now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back