SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,211 of 14,755
are you using stock cable that came with the z5?  if so, get the MUC whatever cable (3.5).  not sure how it will sound with TRRS but i'm debating if i should get a PHA-3 for true balanced with the MDR-Z7 and Kimber...i need some advice on this lol

If you need to drive Z7, then you will need an amp to provide the needed hunger for it. Apparently when using the ZX2 with PHA3 or external DAC+Amp combo, the ZX2 only acts as a Hard drive, what you hear is the Amp+DAC doing, and not the ZX2.

Now, The PHA3 does not use S-Master amplification technology (a Sony signature and own invention). It uses ESS DAC, and Texas Instruments Amplification chips per channel. I am sure PHA3 will sound different than ZX2 built in S-Master amp. I am very very interested in this comparision. Please somebody do it already.

I have seen some people who love CANS (full size) do choose A17 and PHA3 for the same cost as ZX2. Because after all A17 and or ZX2 will act like a Hd only....the only different is that if you take the A17 on the go, then it is not as good as ZX2 on the go :wink:

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3,213 of 14,755
Same here, can't find SD card folder when using USB cable. Here's what I did. Insert card into ZX2. Have it format the card

Settings -- Storage -- Erase SD Card

That'll format it for the DUT (device under test) and add the Music folder. Then I turn off the ZX-2. Take the SD card out and load up music on the card. Reinsert card, turn on ZX2 and it'll scan the memory/files.

And no, still can't find the card via USB yet I find Android devices like having the card formatted by the device.

Agree, the stock case is yuk-ola! The aftermarket one rocks and just got it today from Japan ($99 on eBay plus shipping). Muuuuuch better! Magnetic closure, easy access to all the buttons, the touchscreen, the SD card, etc. Very nice case.
go into one of e storage or media settings in androids setting amd switch to usb.
ita an old android thing where both cant be accessed at the same time for writing

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,215 of 14,755
That's odd, I haven't done any of those things you've mentioned, yet about 25% of my music does have artwork. Not sure why that is.

Maybe format makes the difference?  I know in iTunes, everything in ALAC imbeds the cover art, aiff most of the time, WAV never. That's even so playing the tunes on an iPod.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,216 of 14,755
Maybe format makes the difference?  I know in iTunes, everything in ALAC imbeds the cover art, aiff most of the time, WAV never. That's even so playing the tunes on an iPod.

From what I know, MP3, FLAC...etc...except WAV, all will allow changes in name, title, artist, art cover. Like I said, just download the free program, and simply edit it the way you want.

Here is my article which will cover many thing

An example of my own album cover and name displayed on ZX2...I could have anything as the cover art

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756822/how-to-rip-dvd-blu-ray-into-high-resolution-tracks-in-different-formats#post_11365223

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #3,217 of 14,755

Same here, can't find SD card folder when using USB cable. Here's what I did. Insert card into ZX2. Have it format the card

Settings -- Storage -- Erase SD Card

That'll format it for the DUT (device under test) and add the Music folder. Then I turn off the ZX-2. Take the SD card out and load up music on the card. Reinsert card, turn on ZX2 and it'll scan the memory/files.

And no, still can't find the card via USB yet I find Android devices like having the card formatted by the device.

Agree, the stock case is yuk-ola! The aftermarket one rocks and just got it today from Japan ($99 on eBay plus shipping). Muuuuuch better! Magnetic closure, easy access to all the buttons, the touchscreen, the SD card, etc. Very nice case.

go into one of e storage or media settings in androids setting amd switch to usb.
ita an old android thing where both cant be accessed at the same time for writing

I agree with this, with the old android os, you need to set the USB to PC connection or storage media, newer OS does this automatic.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,220 of 14,755
So any reviews?
Anyone know how it stacks next to AK240, Paw,Tera etc?
Thanks

I am also very interested in reviews, many people have commented that they prefer the sound of the ZX-2 to the Ak240, however I have not seen a real in depth comparison

I have both the ZX2 and the AK240 SS on order and kind of want to cancel one (such a hassle and worrisome to send it back) so I to would like to see a i depth comparison

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,221 of 14,755
I am also very interested in reviews, many people have commented that they prefer the sound of the ZX-2 to the Ak240, however I have not seen a real in depth comparison

I have both the ZX2 and the AK240 SS on order and kind of want to cancel one (such a hassle and worrisome to send it back) so I to would like to see a i depth comparison

Out of the zillion daps ive tried in my experience it will be very much a matter of preference and def not serious diference in quality

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #3,222 of 14,755
  More impressions would be nice guys.  I'm not going to purchase the ZX2 just yet but will do that in the future.  To those people who think about upgrading a DAP, they might have a better bang for bucks by upgrading to higher end earphones instead.  I noticed that several people in this thread spent nearly $1200 on the ZX2 but still using a mid-grade earphones.  I think these same people will be able to get better sound from something like the ZX1/A17 + $1000 IEMs than ZX2+$300 earphones.     I adopted to upgrade my original JH13pro to JH13pro FreqPhase for $350 first and that is the best bang for the bucks so far in my DAP and IEMs journey.    

Challenge accepted!

I was -><- this close to picking up a pair of Westone W30s just so I could see what multi-BA IEMs are all about. But surprisingly, the deal fell through. Although, there's a saying...something about opportunities, closing doors, opening windows and so on and so forth. And as it turns out, I stumbled onto what I consider an awesome deal on the Sennheiser IE800s. I'm sure it's for the best. May as well see just how good dynamic driver IEMs can get.

I was planning on keeping my ZX1. But even with a good deal, looks like they gotta go to help soften the blow of the IE800s. Still, I am really looking forward to hearing how these pair with the ZX2.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,225 of 14,755
  So any reviews?
Anyone know how it stacks next to AK240, Paw,Tera etc?
Thanks

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Here you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back