SONY NW-ZX2
Jan 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #9,946 of 14,773
Get TRRS, and request an extensions adapted into TRS for other players. Yeah, to acquire TRRS for Zx2 is the PITA, which is worth it, but it is a PITA...and darnnnnn DHC cables price .....woooohhhhtttt......

Yes deffinately get trrs on the cable and a short pig tail to trs. I have a number of pigtails to various other terminations, as long as the main cable is 4 wire and terminated to something balanced anything is possible with pig tails

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #9,947 of 14,773
Yes deffinately get trrs on the cable and a short pig tail to trs. I have a number of pigtails to various other terminations, as long as the main cable is 4 wire and terminated to something balanced anything is possible with pig tails

Absolutely :)

I'm using Whiplash Audio TWau Reference on all my phones and love the sound but it is expensive and customer service and delivery times can be erratic so patience is required when dealing with them.

Yeah, the thing I hate most is the customer services from 3rd small party

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #9,948 of 14,773
External amp would alter the sound coming from Zx2, be it analog or digital
smily_headphones1.gif
. Best stay pure to Zx2, and get what he can drive without struggling

Even though I've only got one amp. ( E12 ) I don't think I would be on a quest to find a suitable amp. It sounded "bloated" & I couldn't carry on listening. The ZX2, does not need anything, it is magical on it's own.....and if you think about it, would Sony make a flagship model Walkman, that "needs something else, to get the best out of it" ! ?

Answer : NO

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #9,949 of 14,773
Even though I've only got one amp. ( E12 ) I don't think I would be on a quest to find a suitable amp. It sounded "bloated" & I couldn't carry on listening. The ZX2, does not need anything, it is magical on it's own.....and if you think about it, would Sony make a flagship model Walkman, that "needs something else, to get the best out of it" ! ?

Answer : NO

Yes, this is the one that I strongly feel about and fully support. If anything, people need external amps = for their super-hard to drive headphones. Because once you think about it, only HD800 right now is for the flagship of all headphones, and it is 300 ohms ? Not too sure, but i am more than happy with my TH900, which is not any less high-end or flagship VS hd800....and it is driven beautifully by ZX2.

Not the best lighting and picture, but hey! This is my killer combo.

Who wants power ? But less battery ?
Who want stacking ? And risk damaging cables and ports on the devices on the go ?
Be my guess!
But for me, to be able to reach this level of high-quality sound in such a small device, portable enough that I can hear in the car, bring with me to the office, and everywhere ? I don't even need to charge it for almost a week....and I listen to music at least 2 hours a day :D....too good ! Can not wait for Zx3 lol

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #9,950 of 14,773
Yep I've been using 2 box stacks for almost 15 years now and have finally gone tired of getting at most 10-12 hours per charge and often less. I travel 3-5 days a week for about 40 weeks per year and it is great to have the ZX2 that I can charge in the weekend and then not having to bother bringing charger with me as it last the full week on one charge (play about 3-4 hours each night). It has power enough to pull anything that I'm likely to travel with. On the go my iPhone with the new q-jays as headset is plenty good enough in ambient noise from train/bus/plane.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #9,951 of 14,773
one small thing i like about zx2 - i leave it every night on and the battery next morning has lost just 1%

the battery factor is a big (+) in not looking for 'better' DAPS , plus no problems/bugs with FW etc 

i can live with a 5-10% worse sound , peace of mind here is a major factor

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,952 of 14,773
I have a couple of amp's and neither did well, the amp in the ZX2 is where half the magic happens, and you loose this when trying others amp's.

There are probably high end amp's that may do better, but will likely cost just as much as the ZX2.

My rabbit hole is starting to become a bear cave.

Well, the only reason I began considering amping the ZX2 is the repeated claims of the IE800 needing "moar power" in order to sound its best. I know the ZX2 must be using some sort of digital trickery to generate the sound signature that I like, which is why I'm only interested in amping the LOD.

I don't know what sort of results I'll get. Which in part, is why I opted to go with the Oppo HA-2. I'm equally interested in what it can do for my phone, tablet, PC and other headphones. Perhaps I'll come across a new favorite sonic combination. Granted, that's not likely. But you never know until you try.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #9,953 of 14,773
one small thing i like about zx2 - i leave it every night on and the battery next morning has lost just 1%

the battery factor is a big (+) in not looking for 'better' DAPS , plus no problems/bugs with FW etc 

i can live with a 5-10% worse sound , peace of mind here is a major factor

Yep, mine has not been off since I got it in September apart from experimenting with turning off the sound enhancement apps. Just charge it every weekend

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #9,954 of 14,773
Well, the only reason I began considering amping the ZX2 is the repeated claims of the IE800 needing "moar power" in order to sound its best. I know the ZX2 must be using some sort of digital trickery to generate the sound signature that I like, which is why I'm only interested in amping the LOD.

I don't know what sort of results I'll get. Which in part, is why I opted to go with the Oppo HA-2. I'm equally interested in what it can do for my phone, tablet, PC and other headphones. Perhaps I'll come across a new favorite sonic combination. Granted, that's not likely. But you never know until you try.

There is no trickery, Zx2 technology is pure class D amp, and the DSEE chipset that has some good processing power...however the software enhancement sucks......so just disable the sound adjustment app for the rawest and purest performance from Zx2 hardware + with TRRS and you will love it by a lot. I doubt IE800 need that much power. Otherwise how could I drive my TH900 that good ? But if you try it, let me know what you have experienced, I love hearing new experiences and share it with people, and hence I love head-fi :D

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #9,955 of 14,773

I can not comment on the oppo ha2 amp as I don't have one, it looks like a nice unit, I don't think it will be able to keep up with the ZX2 classy class D amp, I don't think it uses high end components to complement it's circuit.
But I can not judge something I do not own, or have not tested, and would be interested in knowing if you think it plays in the same league as the ZX2.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #9,956 of 14,773
Need a little advice guys. I want to take advantage of using the Trrs portion of the ZX-2. What type of cable would I need to connect the Sony to the dual 3 pin xlr female inputs on my schiit Mjolnir amp?

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #9,957 of 14,773

The avforums review of ZX2 has a small comparison with Oppo HA-2.Honestly,it sounds redundant at this point but you're better off with mojo for $200 more.I was at the thread and even the chord representative was getting pissed at the number of people advertising the ie800+mojo combination.

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #9,958 of 14,773
The avforums review of ZX2 has a small comparison with Oppo HA-2.Honestly,it sounds redundant at this point but you're better off with mojo for $200 more.I was at the thread and even the chord representative was getting pissed at the number of people advertising the ie800+mojo combination.

I agreed, Mojo is too good to over look it :)

Need a little advice guys. I want to take advantage of using the Trrs portion of the ZX-2. What type of cable would I need to connect the Sony to the dual 3 pin xlr female inputs on my schiit Mjolnir amp?

Line-out cable with xlr male :D contact schiit

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #9,959 of 14,773
I agreed, Mojo is too good to over look it
smily_headphones1.gif

Line-out cable with xlr male
biggrin.gif
contact schiit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00T7S7DTM/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Time to test this JetAudio Whitigir as the resident ZX2 fan and convince the rest of us to take the dive 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back