SONY NW-ZX100
Oct 26, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,232 of 3,849
same here looking for a smaller and longer battery player and right now the zx100 fits perfectly.
Thats one of the reasons I bought it. Works great with an amp.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,233 of 3,849
I like the silver color of the ZX100 is not that typical sylver "faking it" color it's kind of light gray, mmmh like the silver ipod classic ??, the back is rubber not leather and feels fine grain texture and i like the grip it gives on my hand

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,235 of 3,849
@jmills8 can you sell me one of your headstages?
biggrin.gif
 i don't like to waiht too long
tongue_smile.gif

the zx100 volume control seems a bit too potent to my licke so is not sooo lienar, having just 30 teps mmm. vol. 9 is fine but if i press the + button  get explosive sonic "BOOOM" haha with vol. 10 wish it was more linear (more steps) to make the incrase less startling to say so

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,236 of 3,849
I have the following feeling some times but i let it go... happened when i made the switch from mp3 192kbps to FLAC and now my walkman zx100

When i got to listen to flac versions of my songs i found the mechanism of certain istruments was very present (screeching, rubbing of parts, plucking of fingers on guitar strings, the typical shriiiiik of when a finger slides by accident on a guitar string, bretahing of the musician (esp. if he/she is old) i was like I hate it too many details revealed.

Now my zx100 extracts more juice than an other DAP i've had, last day i hear a pedal of a piano quick but noticiable screeching whnen it got pressed, same for a
biggrin.gif
 NOKIA Tune of a old-school nokia phone - IMHO that was too much seriously, very unprofessional recording of the last discs 14 CD set the last two were o like the musician being annoyed tapping on the instrument, making noises like uffff arrgghh and the nokia tune was the tipping point, they shall have recorded it again -- 

But them i think withouth those nuances & detail, the music would be a bit boring isn't it? so now i enjoy my music in too-much information hehehe

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,237 of 3,849
  I have the following feeling some times but i let it go... happened when i made the switch from mp3 192kbps to FLAC and now my walkman zx100

When i got to listen to flac versions of my songs i found the mechanism of certain istruments was very present (screeching, rubbing of parts, plucking of fingers on guitar strings, the typical shriiiiik of when a finger slides by accident on a guitar string, bretahing of the musician (esp. if he/she is old) i was like I hate it too many details revealed.

Now my zx100 extracts more juice than an other DAP i've had, last day i hear a pedal of a piano quick but noticiable screeching whnen it got pressed, same for a
biggrin.gif
 NOKIA Tune of a old-school nokia phone - IMHO that was too much seriously, very unprofessional recording of the last discs 14 CD set the last two were o like the musician being annoyed tapping on the instrument, making noises like uffff arrgghh and the nokia tune was the tipping point, they shall have recorded it again -- 

But them i think withouth those nuances & detail, the music would be a bit boring isn't it? so now i enjoy my music in too-much information hehehe

I remember someone asked on the head-fi facebook page whether you preferred live music or studio recording. Some argued that the live performance (whether actually seeing a band perform live or listening to a live performance on a CD or format) would never remotely match the sound quality of a studio recording, but to me the live performances are very enjoyable but in a "different" way thanks to all the added "details" like the crowd cheering, the applause at the end of a song, or the people singing along to their favorite song. To me it feels as if the music (regardless of genre) is renewed thanks to all this additional "noise" bringing it closer to life.

But anyways, how have you been liking your ZX100 paired with the XBA-A3? I've been listening to my A17 and XBA-4 for a while and I must admit I am always delighted with this setup.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,238 of 3,849
I remember someone asked on the head-fi facebook page whether you preferred live music or studio recording. Some argued that the live performance (whether actually seeing a band perform live or listening to a live performance on a CD or format) would never remotely match the sound quality of a studio recording, but to me the live performances are very enjoyable but in a "different" way thanks to all the added "details" like the crowd cheering, the applause at the end of a song, or the people singing along to their favorite song. To me it feels as if the music (regardless of genre) is renewed thanks to all this additional "noise" bringing it closer to life.

But anyways, how have you been liking your ZX100 paired with the XBA-A3? I've been listening to my A17 and XBA-4 for a while and I must admit I am always delighted with this setup.

I like my combo of zx100 and xba-a3, the player seems to smooth the bassy nature of XBA-A3, the overall sound is quite quasi-neutral but with nice bass punch not exaggerated like the XBA-H3, I had also an A17 and while it sounds great for the player size, i found it made the XBA-A3 a bit like the H3 and bassier, widsh i had my H3 to test these with my zx100 but i sold them before my zx100 arrived.

I had the XBA-1
beerchug.gif
 i was consdering XBA-3 or 4  but ent for the 1 and well things must die some time and they died in my trip in germany thats why i go the H3 because MMCX cable and i was blinded by the hi-res moniker despite head-fi told me they were so-so in qualiy

I was a few moments ago debatng if i shall keep a recording of Haydn Keyboard sonatas (christiane schornheim) with instrumnets of museums VS The virtual Haydn project by Naxos using virtual room acoustics feedback with an array of speakers on the recording studio (sampling the echo with clappings if i remember) Haydns studio house esterhazy castle rooms.... All that spell DSP spells awful recording... Yep so true naxos ruined this Haydn set it sounds weird if some one played with an audio editor program like audacity and added echoeing or like recorded in a small bathroom with hard stereo panning... kept the Haydn wit schornsheim despite that nokia ringtone
biggrin.gif
, nah at the end is an old-chool ringtone preserved as a Classical masterpiece
etysmile.gif

I wanted the naxos because it is Hi-res audio Blu-ray vs Capriccio (schornsheim) CDs .. but well as many heer say there are good CDs as there are awful hi-res music, true true and TRUE

The point here is how would the naxos hi-res would sound in the ZX100 with those artificial DSP signals? The Cds from Capriccio sound very nice in my ZX100 very airy reverb (natural not fake) nice deccay

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,239 of 3,849
Listenong to orchestral music, DECCA Haydn the symphonies complete Antal dorati

Very airy resentation, i can feel the dimensions of the hall, the separaton after 115h is awesome i can diferentiate between strings, cellos group, violins, the oboes at the distance some how centered, the horns accenting the music to the right? and the Timpani nice punch & kick (XBA-A3). The deccay, reverb staging and imagin is pretty organic and natural, tough these are older recordings but still get an airy reverb and staging, even the smallest sound is heard such as strings initating very quiet and calm to the big fortissimo, the horns in the siatnce are heard even if the strings are playing togheter with the oboes... there is no apparent "masking" of some instruments (shadowing)  Symphony in G minor Hob. I, No. 39 Listening vol. 08 of 30

Cannot wait to listen to a more "classic" ymphony work such as Mozart's Jupiter or Beethoven famouts 5th and 9th all those mentioned with H.V Karajan other big scale work to give a test run on how my ZX100 would behave fully burned in is Thomas Tallis famous Spem in alium 40-voices motet

EDIT: krebs organ works the reberb and nuances such as very high-pitched ppes and very low ones ... for the revebr and room feeling yo must be ultra-concentarted on the music, but i feel the Sound stage it's on the final way to stabilizing (still like 70h to go)

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,240 of 3,849
SCREEN IS PLASTIC, already got a scratch on it with nothing!

for SQ alone its wortht eh asking price BUT BUILD QUALITY is not wortht he asking price, at least use sturdier plastic like the fiio x3 screen

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,241 of 3,849
SCREEN IS PLASTIC, already got a scratch on it with nothing!

for SQ alone its wortht eh asking price BUT BUILD QUALITY is not wortht he asking price, at least use sturdier plastic like the fiio x3 screen
You a brute.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,243 of 3,849
^ well as i expect.. im really not happy with sony's way of selling products.. premium Dap they cannot even put a simple free screen protector?
while the rest of the world offers free already attached and even have several extra..

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,244 of 3,849
  ^ well as i expect.. im really not happy with sony's way of selling products.. premium Dap they cannot even put a simple free screen protector?
while the rest of the world offers free already attached and even have several extra..

I am really maddened... two weeks and voila! s-c-r-a-t-c-h... cool sony... even in 2007 for 299 usd my A818 had glass 2.0QVGA screen LOL, even my fiio x3 I had PLASTIC SCREEN but like bullet proof plastic

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,245 of 3,849
I am really maddened... two weeks and voila! s-c-r-a-t-c-h... cool sony... even in 2007 for 299 usd my A818 had glass 2.0QVGA screen LOL, even my fiio x3 I had PLASTIC SCREEN but like bullet proof plastic
hence a great screen wont be a reason to stay with that dap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back