SONY NW-ZX100
Jul 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #3,061 of 3,849
  Thinking the same when I get my replacement or repaired  ZX100, sell or keep it depending on IFA

Unfortunately IFA is for Europe, we second class citizens in North America will probably never see most of those products here.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,062 of 3,849
Great news, got a reply from AccessoryJack, got my walkman repaired and now coming back to me. tho had to pay $38 USD to ship it back to me. total round-trip shipping fees all on me like 110 USD

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,063 of 3,849
  Great news, got a reply from AccessoryJack, got my walkman repaired and now coming back to me. tho had to pay $38 USD to ship it back to me. total round-trip shipping fees all on me like 110 USD

Do you know for sure they repaired it and didn't send a replacement?  Wow for not much more than the shipping you could have gotten an Xduoo X3.

I guess on more expensive DAP's it might make more sense to repair rather than replace it if it is a minor fix. 

I think for your next DAP you need to focus on units you can get locally or at least in North America.  It only cost me $19 to ship my A17 including insurance to Sony and they paid the return shipping.  Some internet retailers offer their own extended warranties so if you can't get one from the manufacturer it might be worthwhile option especially with expensive DAP's.

When you know what DAP you want to get next let me know and I can help you find a source in North America

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,064 of 3,849
I'm asking again, hopefully someone can answer the questions:
- Can you read the display when you are outside in the sun? This is NOT possible with the ZX1 and the ZX2 - which is such a dumb construction for a MOBILE device. :wink:

- Is the operation speed faster than the slow ZX1 or equal?

Thank you guys.

Regarding Mexicans:
Mexican food is really good here in Germany (depending on the restaurant, surely) and I can only imagine how great it must taste in Mexico! :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,065 of 3,849
I'm asking again, hopefully someone can answer the questions:
- Can you read the display when you are outside in the sun? This is NOT possible with the ZX1 and the ZX2 - which is such a dumb construction for a MOBILE device. :wink:

- Is the operation speed faster than the slow ZX1 or equal?

Thank you guys.

Regarding Mexicans:
Mexican food is really good here in Germany (depending on the restaurant, surely) and I can only imagine how great it must taste in Mexico! :)

Hey from MEXICO :D

first question: tried it at the office before sending it to warranty to HK and yes I could read it on the sun

question 2 ich habe kein ZX1 so I think ZX100 is faster in my experience loading it to full capacity in the microSD 200GB and the internal I notice just a bit microsecond lag but is not slow at all, if oyu find it slow I do is SETTINGS  > RESET/FORMAT > REBUILD LIBRARY and it becomes snappy again

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,067 of 3,849

Do you know for sure they repaired it and didn't send a replacement?  Wow for not much more than the shipping you could have gotten an Xduoo X3.

I guess on more expensive DAP's it might make more sense to repair rather than replace it if it is a minor fix. 

I think for your next DAP you need to focus on units you can get locally or at least in North America.  It only cost me $19 to ship my A17 including insurance to Sony and they paid the return shipping.  Some internet retailers offer their own extended warranties so if you can't get one from the manufacturer it might be worthwhile option especially with expensive DAP's.

When you know what DAP you want to get next let me know and I can help you find a source in North America

The agents from AJ told me that sony HK had repaired the down button, for sure, I am still baffled, it stayed just one week in warranty, so I doubt a quick fix, perhaps sony sent them a replacement unit, I will only know when it arrives

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,069 of 3,849
  The agents from AJ told me that sony HK had repaired the down button, for sure, I am still baffled, it stayed just one week in warranty, so I doubt a quick fix, perhaps sony sent them a replacement unit, I will only know when it arrives

Actually a stuck button is a very basic fix.  It can be as simple as popping it back in place.  The button just rests on a touch pad or plunger type device.  All they would have to do is open it up at worst and take the one that is stuck out and pop in a new one if it is damaged. 

Given that you have a standard rather than an extended warranty if they can do a simple fix they will instead of giving you a new one given how much a ZX100 sells for.  The advantage of the extended warranty for Sony is it covers the replacement cost of another unit so no extra cost to Sony if they send out a replacement.  Sending you a replacement under a standard warranty would cost Sony money so they would only send a replacement if your ZX100 can't be fixed.

I spent several hours listening to my replacement A17 and it definitely sounds better than the old one.  Clearly Sony made some improvements to the A10 series after the initial release.  The fit between the top and bottom of the case on the new one is tighter (closer together) than my old one. I can remember on my old one if I pressed the top and bottom of the case together there was some give, on the new one there is no give at all.  The whole unit just seems more solidly built.  As I mentioned already the screen seems to be better to.

I think Sony gave me a basically new unit as a replacement because my old one was from the first batch sold in North America.  It simply wasn't made as well as the later produced units.

I guess it pays to wait a few months after a DAP is released before buying one in case the manufacturer makes improvements.  Either way I am much happier with my new A17 compared to the old one.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,070 of 3,849

Actually a stuck button is a very basic fix.  It can be as simple as popping it back in place.  The button just rests on a touch pad or plunger type device.  All they would have to do is open it up at worst and take the one that is stuck out and pop in a new one if it is damaged. 

Given that you have a standard rather than an extended warranty if they can do a simple fix they will instead of giving you a new one given how much a ZX100 sells for.  The advantage of the extended warranty for Sony is it covers the replacement cost of another unit so no extra cost to Sony if they send out a replacement.  Sending you a replacement under a standard warranty would cost Sony money so they would only send a replacement if your ZX100 can't be fixed.

I spent several hours listening to my replacement A17 and it definitely sounds better than the old one.  Clearly Sony made some improvements to the A10 series after the initial release.  The fit between the top and bottom of the case on the new one is tighter (closer together) than my old one. I can remember on my old one if I pressed the top and bottom of the case together there was some give, on the new one there is no give at all.  The whole unit just seems more solidly built.  As I mentioned already the screen seems to be better to.

I think Sony gave me a basically new unit as a replacement because my old one was from the first batch sold in North America.  It simply wasn't made as well as the later produced units.

I guess it pays to wait a few months after a DAP is released before buying one in case the manufacturer makes improvements.  Either way I am much happier with my new A17 compared to the old one.

Basically what I tought I also got one of the first batches

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #3,071 of 3,849

do not agree have the A17 and a 25 surpasses it, the A25 is a much better and broader EQ settings, better bass!

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #3,072 of 3,849
my zx100 arrived at the sort facility of my city, maybe tomorrow i have it on my hands after a long week of repair

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #3,074 of 3,849

my zx100 arrived at the sort facility of my city, maybe tomorrow i have it on my hands after a long week of repair

what exactly happened to your player? you have done a free repair?

repair was free because still has warranty until october this year. The problem was a Button that failed. The not so nice part was to pay the shipping myself including return shipping! totaling like 110 USD

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #3,075 of 3,849
  do not agree have the A17 and a 25 surpasses it, the A25 is a much better and broader EQ settings, better bass!

I am not comparing the A17 to the A25,  I am comparing the original A17 I bought in October 2014 to the A17 Sony sent me as a replacement a few days ago.  I can't compare the A17 to the A25 because the boneheads at Sony won't make it available in Canada to listen to!!  But, based on the several online reviews for the A20 series I have read there is no difference between the A17 and the A25 as they both use the same hardware.  Except of course for the added circuitry for the Sony only noise canceling feature which to me isn't worth paying for.  The EQ changes are likely just a change in the firmware which could have been added to the A17 had Sony chosen to.

As for differences between the A17 and A25 I would personally rather have 64 GB of internal memory vs 16 GB, better EQ (no use to me) and Sony's noise canceling feature (also of no use to me).  It seems silly to me to buy an A25 if I basically have the same thing already in an A17 minus features I don't even need and less internal memory.  I sure as heck won't spend  another $300 + for a minute improvement in bass if in fact it can be heard.   Hearing it or not will have as much to do with the headphones as anything else.

Tell me, do you hear better bass with or without the EQ engaged comparing the A25 to the A17?  If the difference is via EQ then the normal bass is likely the same and not a fair comparison.

Personally I find engaging the EQ especially one that is software based hurts the sound more than it helps.  Anything that is added to the signal path will detract from the sound more than any artificial enhancements the EQ or other manipulation will add.  To me if your iems/headphones need an EQ to sound good then you need new headphones not another DAP with better EQ settings.

Headphones/iems will always make the biggest difference in sound quality than a DAP will especially if the two DAP's are basically the same. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back