SONY NW-ZX100
Jul 22, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,046 of 3,849
Received replacement A17

I just received my replacement for my A17 and I have to say I am quite surprised.

It arrived in full retail packaging with the A17 in the retail plastic bag. The bag was sealed with blue tape which is typical of recertified units.  It appears to have come with a brand new charging cable and full documentation all nicely packaged and boxed.  I checked the unit where the top and bottom pieces of the casing snap together for signs of tool marks to see if the battery was replaced and it appears this unit has never been opened.

The unit itself looks brand new, no sign that it has been used at all.  Other than the fact the seal was missing from the retail box and the blue tape on the unit bag you would think it was brand new.

The firmware is the factory 1.01 version so it has never been updated.  I would suspect looking at everything that this was an in store return and not the return of a defective unit.  My serial number on my old unit started 502 and this one is 548 so it is certainly newer than mine.  The retail box and the unit have the same serial number and the retail box looks brand new.

It arrived 50% charged so I am fully charging it now and will connect it to my computer later to upgrade the firmware.  I use Mediago so it should be quick and painless to upgrade the firmware. I backed up all of my tracks from the internal memory from my old A17 onto my computer so I can reload it fairly quickly.

Based on this experience I am certainly glad I got an extended warranty.  Now I just need to decide if I will keep this unit or sell it when the newer DAP's start to appear.  The IFA show in Berlin runs from September 2nd to the 7th so we should see some new DAP's from Sony and other manufacturers.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,047 of 3,849

Thanks for the offer but since you live in the "land down under" doesn't everything work in the opposite direction, that would be very confusing for us polar bears
tongue.gif

No, that is a common fallacy.  Water might go down sinks anticlockwise but the main difference is we are upside down.  Think about it, that is a real advantage as it improves blood flow to the head and explains why Australians are so clever and koalas are so cute,

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #3,048 of 3,849
  No, that is a common fallacy.  Water might go down sinks anticlockwise but the main difference is we are upside down.  Think about it, that is a real advantage as it improves blood flow to the head and explains why Australians are so clever and koalas are so cute,

Interesting, I have actually met several Australians and I find the exact opposite to be true when it comes to being clever
tongue_smile.gif
.  But yes koalas are very cute.  I was aware of the of the counter clockwise drainage and I was kidding about everything else being backward in case you could not tell lol.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #3,049 of 3,849

Interesting, I have actually met several Australians and I find the exact opposite to be true when it comes to being clever
tongue_smile.gif
.  But yes koalas are very cute.  I was aware of the of the counter clockwise drainage and I was kidding about everything else being backward in case you could not tell lol.

I'm guessing the "Australians" you met were not the real variety but a mutant variety resulting from climate change.  Damn, and I thought you were serious about the backward concept. That is a relief and demonstrates your education system is progressive and up to date except in regards to Southern hemisphere intelligence.

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,050 of 3,849
Trying to figure out how old my replacement A17 is.

I use to know how to interpret serial numbers for alot of manufacturers to tell when a unit was produced.  I am a little rusty on Sony but based on the fact that firmware 1.01 was released on December 22, 2014 (version replacement has) and 1.10 was released on April 7, 2015 it was produced sometime between those dates.

If I am reading the serial number correctly the replacement was produced on January 9, 2015.  My original A17 was produced on July 4, 2014 which happens to be my birthday so nice present for me.

So the replacement isn't that new but it is about 6 months newer than the old one which isn't bad I guess.  I do notice that the lettering on the back of the replacement is yellow vs white on my old one making it much easier to read.

Still charging the replacement so no idea if it has any issues yet

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #3,051 of 3,849
  I'm guessing the "Australians" you met were not the real variety but a mutant variety resulting from climate change.  Damn, and I thought you were serious about the backward concept. That is a relief and demonstrates your education system is progressive and up to date except in regards to Southern hemisphere intelligence.

Yes I am from Canada and the cold weather helps make us smart unlike the dullards in the mess of a country to the south (can you say Donald Trump).  Yeah I guess all that sunshine you guys get could lead to mutations and such so I will give you that one. 

So since you are in the southern hemisphere does that mean you walk on your hands instead of your feet.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #3,052 of 3,849
fish1050 said:

Based on this experience I am certainly glad I got an extended warranty.  Now I just need to decide if I will keep this unit or sell it when the newer DAP's start to appear.  The IFA show in Berlin runs from September 2nd to the 7th so we should see some new DAP's from Sony and other manufacturers.

Thinking the same when I get my replacement or repaired  ZX100, sell or keep it depending on IFA

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #3,053 of 3,849

So since you are in the southern hemisphere does that mean you walk on your hands instead of your feet.
biggrin.gif

No, we levitate (upside down of course) and listen to uplifting music to assist.. And, living in the Southern Island State of Tasmania, we are also blessed with colder and more stimulating weather so are definitely not Trumped up!

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,055 of 3,849
  No, we levitate (upside down of course) and listen to uplifting music to assist.. And, living in the Southern Island State of Tasmania, we are also blessed with colder and more stimulating weather so are definitely not Trumped up!

So floating upside down, does it make it hard to change clothes.  Wow you southern hemisphere guys are actually pretty funny, I never would have expected that.
biggrin.gif
  While I have certainly heard of Tasmania I am not that familiar with it.

I guess you could say Tasmania is to Australia what Canada is to the USA.  People may know we exist but don't know much about us lol.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3,057 of 3,849

Yeah they could go either way on this new model, either a replacement for the E-series or the ZX series.  Given that one model will have bluetooth le (low energy) which uses less power and thus less battery life it could be for a low powered cheap unit or even headphones with built in DAP.  There has been rumors of a ZX200 but there hasn't been much mentioned about the cheap E-series

My money is on an E-series replacement. The WM evokes the Walkman name which is more associated with the mp3 era.  HiRes DAP's on the other hand you want to associate with high quality music formats and the ZX already does that for Sony.  Then again I often shake my head at the stuff Sony comes up with so who knows.

Whatever it ends up being I doubt we will see it in Canada

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #3,058 of 3,849
Jul 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3,059 of 3,849

So floating upside down, does it make it hard to change clothes.  Wow you southern hemisphere guys are actually pretty funny, I never would have expected that.
biggrin.gif
  While I have certainly heard of Tasmania I am not that familiar with it.

I guess you could say Tasmania is to Australia what Canada is to the USA.  People may know we exist but don't know much about us lol.

Who changes clothes?  Waste of time.  Glad you have vaguely heard of us.  This map might help visualisation next time: 

It's all scientifically explained in the relevant episode of "The Simpsons"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_vs._Australia

Wow, recognition by the Simpsons.  At last we are on the world map!

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #3,060 of 3,849
  Who changes clothes?  Waste of time.  Glad you have vaguely heard of us.  This map might help visualisation next time: 

Wow, recognition by the Simpsons.  At last we are on the world map!

So are you saying Tasmania is a nudist colony? Now I definitely need to visit to see all the nude upside down floating Tasmanian's.  You guys should open an adult theme park lol!!!

I actually think it would be cool to live on an island, Toronto is so freaking big and noisy, it would be a welcome change.

Once Trump wins the US election all the crazy americans who think the Simpsons is real will want to move to Tasmania.  Won't that be fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back