SONY NW-ZX100
Feb 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,566 of 3,849
  I had an A17 (A10-series) and IMHO the ZX100 is a huge step-up in SQ it has better clarity esp in the high and mid range and the instruments are clear, a bit more soundstage and 3D envelope

Good to know. Thanks.

Considering the rather expensive price, I am currently also looking at some other options.
Perhaps a secondhand iPod Classic 7G + Cypher Labs 720 DAC. 

For anyone on the fence, the NW-ZX100 is now $436 on Amazon!

WOW.
But this makes the decision even more difficult...
Still kind of torn due to the ZX100's low power, which would possibly need another amp.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,569 of 3,849
I believe it is made in Malaysia. But I thought even the ones sold in Japan were made in Malaysia. What does the ATRAC support do?

You can play ATRAC files. Discussed in this thread already. It's all about firmware with Sony. Based on what you are saying, and the fact that there's not Japanese only menus, means it doesn't support ATRAC. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,570 of 3,849

I believe it is made in Malaysia. But I thought even the ones sold in Japan were made in Malaysia. What does the ATRAC support do?

You can play ATRAC files. Discussed in this thread already. It's all about firmware with Sony. Based on what you are saying, and the fact that there's not Japanese only menus, means it doesn't support ATRAC. Thanks.

Yes NON-japanese =  No-ATRAC Japanese = ATRAC

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,572 of 3,849

Yes NON-japanese =  No-ATRAC Japanese = ATRAC

There are mixed sellers on Amazon and multiple listings. I'll eventually get the Japanese version one of these eons as I'm not converting my ATRAC or ATRAC Advanced Lossless stuff, or re-ripping. The irony is that both the HAP-S1 and HAP-Z1ES do support ATRAC, so they could do it. They just don't. I get why, but it woudln't cost them a thing at this point.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,573 of 3,849
There are mixed sellers on Amazon and multiple listings. I'll eventually get the Japanese version one of these eons as I'm not converting my ATRAC or ATRAC Advanced Lossless stuff, or re-ripping. The irony is that both the HAP-S1 and HAP-Z1ES do support ATRAC, so they could do it. They just don't. I get why, but it woudln't cost them a thing at this point.

Don't know if you can convert ATRAC Advabced lossless to FLAC

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,575 of 3,849
Can anyone coment on the bluetooth abilities? Does it sound diffeent than the a17? Does either sound different than a samsung galaxy 5 or anyother bluetooth source?

It sounds better to me especially with LDAC

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #2,578 of 3,849
I use my zx100 with my noble audio savant and sony xba-a3 IEMs. Them both very good headphones, but i think savant lacking some bass. No problems playing any type of song with a3, but Savant just cries for racking up the bass eq. 100% of songs I listen I play them in flat eq. Although savants haven't sit in my ear for no longer than 6 hours so might be that i need them to burn in? Don't know, but zx100 + xba-a3 all i want.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,580 of 3,849

I had an A17 (A10-series) and IMHO the ZX100 is a huge step-up in SQ it has better clarity esp in the high and mid range and the instruments are clear, a bit more soundstage and 3D envelope

Do you a/b between those two side by side?

Yes I did that, compared bot wtih A3 and 1R and certainly ZX100 Won

Users who are viewing this thread

Back