SONY NW-ZX100
Oct 3, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,346 of 3,849
  Hi All,

I have a ZX100 bought about 2 months ago in Australia. Although I've owned a couple of Apple Minis my experience with portable h-fi has been very limited. Along with the Sony I purchased a set of the folding on-ear Sennheiser Momentum head phones. Basically I wanted an outfit that was reasonably compact and simple to use, that would accept high definition files and with outstanding battery capacity. The Sony seemed to fit the bill! 

Currently I have about 70 CDs loaded - mostly as MP3s. I'm still trying to figure out what hi def format format I should use - eventually that's where I want to go. These 70 CDs have used a ridiculously small amount of the devices 128GB internal memory - about 16% I think. I have additional files loaded on an old 8GB SD card that I'm experimenting with.

Initially I found the navigation slightly 'clunky' although I'm getting used to it. It's pretty simple but the menu system feels slightly awkward - practice will improve things I guess. I also was flummoxed for a bit in getting the device to format and recognise an external SD card but that's now resolved (I found the instructions baffling and quite unhelpful). The battery life is fantastic! I need this as I'm often off-the-grid for a week or two at a time.

I also wanted a protective case for the ZX100. I briefly considered the black leather Sony case but ended up with a super cheap black silicone case sourced from a seller in (I think Hong Kong). It's excellent and very convenient to use. I think I have also put on a screen protector, bought somewhere off ebay.

The alternatives I considered were the current iPad Nano and an iPod Touch. The former is of course much more compact but has a much smaller memory (I've since realised that 16GB is probably quite adequate for my needs most of the time if I'm just using mp3 files). The iPod Touch has the advantage of being able to stream and download music as well as surf the net and take picture - attributes I'm still interested in. However I went with the Sony because I really was primarily interested in a device as a music payer only, capable of using hi-def files and with exceptional battery life. My experience with other manufacturers was also v/limited an I've found Sony products (mainly radios) to generally be well made in the past.

As I've mentioned, my experience with portable hi-fi is very limited, but thus far I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Sam.

​I use FLAC as my Hi-def format (BTW called Lossless), I 'd recomed if MAC user fo XLD lossless decoder for mac And if WINDOWS use dbpowerAMP

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #3,347 of 3,849

then the problem is not really the player itself, have you considered borrowing a pc and use media go to see how smooth once you have converted cds to flac with media go and see how good this digital audio player is

i have personally spent the last 5 weeks converting my 250 cds to flac just for my nw-zx100 and it's such a gem to use with no lag issues

once you have used media go to convert to flac you can store on your mac and along your itunes to convert to alac ( presumption) there would not be any issues 

Confirming that the issue is definitely with album art and not the encoding or the format of the songs. 
For Mac, I used the Sony Content Transfer tool and it significantly reduces the size of the album art.

It took me half a day to fill up 90GB of my 128 GB card but the operation of scrolling is significantly faster. 
There is some lag however albeit very minor. Not sure where that is coming from. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #3,349 of 3,849
[/IMG]

I use this glass protector, nice rounded corners which fits perfectly

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,352 of 3,849
Hi-Res Glass! WOW!
deadhorse.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,354 of 3,849
That's a very neat screen protector - looks nicer than my plastic one. Thanks for the link. Thanks to everyone for the informative comments, especially with regard to the preference for FLAC files.

I'm using a Mac and the Sony software that came with the ZX100 (actually it was downloaded from the Sony website)  to convert my CDs. As suggested I'll give XLD a go, although I'm not yet clear how it works. Are there other alternatives I should consider? 

Sam.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #3,357 of 3,849
local online classified in HK, i paid HK$100 ( US$13) meet the seller 

i went to hifi headphone store they stated that they can order but at HK$200 (US$26) seems expensive so i looked other HK sites in chinese

if you are interested, i can buy and mail to you HK$100 plus HK$40 registered delivery to you? i presume you are in singapore? 

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3,358 of 3,849
My walkman is 2,000 songs away from being killed by liquid inmersion, as soon as the Toyal Songs-counter reaches 0 and no body purchases it, it wil be used for experiments on water

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3,359 of 3,849
  My walkman is 2,000 songs away from being killed by liquid inmersion, as soon as the Toyal Songs-counter reaches 0 and no body purchases it, it wil be used for experiments on water

Seriously, just sell it on Ebay and be done with.  Why destroy something that can be useful to others?  Don't you have a cousin or sibling that you can donate to?

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,360 of 3,849
  Seriously, just sell it on Ebay and be done with.  Why destroy something that can be useful to others?  Don't you have a cousin or sibling that you can donate to?

LOL just kidding hahaha to see if a buyer pops out faster 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back