SONY NW-ZX100
Jan 5, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,766 of 3,849
My ZX100 is on the way, although I listened to it in the past. The ZX300 is certainly more refined, though it lacked a bit in bass.
I would say that the ZX100 is several steps up from the A series - I still have a 829 for example. Of course it has high res grade sound,
vocals are far more superior than in any previous series, the sound is more subtle. It has more power than any A series Sony player.
The ZX300 continued this subtleness to a point where it may almost reach the resolution of WM1 series. I think you can only benefit
from it if you use the balanced output, because that's where the ZX300 really worth it. Please ask more if you are interested, I will have
my ZX100 on Tuesday. :)
The ZX100 is definitely a few steps above any of the A series walkman when it comes to sound quality, the A series is closer to what you would get in a smartphone with a very good DAC, it is still a good compromise to those who want something truly compact/light with a good/decent sound quality out of low impedance headphones/IEMs.

The ZX100 is nice if you only care about SE, want a great battery life out of your DAP and a sound quality that rivals the one of the ZX2. The main issue that I have with it, is that just like the ZX1 and ZX2, the ZX100 cannot drive high impedance or low sensitivity headphones, I am guessing you can't have a great battery life and higher power outputs, it's still much better than the average smartphone mind you, it's just not enough.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #3,767 of 3,849
My ZX100 is on the way, although I listened to it in the past. The ZX300 is certainly more refined, though it lacked a bit in bass.
I would say that the ZX100 is several steps up from the A series - I still have a 829 for example. Of course it has high res grade sound,
vocals are far more superior than in any previous series, the sound is more subtle. It has more power than any A series Sony player.
The ZX300 continued this subtleness to a point where it may almost reach the resolution of WM1 series. I think you can only benefit
from it if you use the balanced output, because that's where the ZX300 really worth it. Please ask more if you are interested, I will have
my ZX100 on Tuesday. :)
Looking forward to your ZX100, you've still got zx300?

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #3,768 of 3,849
I think it is not entirely true, as power, loudness, levels of volume are not just output power-dependent. The SE on the ZX300 is of course more refined than of the ZX100, although balanced is another realm. I heard too that the ZX300's balanced
is on par with the WM-1A, so the ZX300 is definitely worth it if you plan to use/jump to balanced earphones. But balanced cannot and shouldn't be compared to the ZX100 in any way. That's a completely other story. I wish btw that Sony will come
up with slightly smaller players with physical buttons, continuing the ZX100's controls. But it is of course a subjective matter. I prefer the menu system of the 829/17 and the ZX100 is identical.
Actually even the ZX300's SE is on par with the WM1A but it needed some burning in before it reached a quality similar to the one on my ZX2, and some more until it reached the sound quality of the WM1A demo units I tested at the Sony store in Ginza.
The DAP that sounded better (although that's subjective, I would rather say "different"), is the WM1Z, but it doesn't sound €2000 better, if you catch my meaning.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #3,769 of 3,849
The ZX100 is definitely a few steps above any of the A series walkman when it comes to sound quality, the A series is closer to what you would get in a smartphone with a very good DAC, it is still a good compromise to those who want something truly compact/light with a good/decent sound quality out of low impedance headphones/IEMs.

The ZX100 is nice if you only care about SE, want a great battery life out of your DAP and a sound quality that rivals the one of the ZX2. The main issue that I have with it, is that just like the ZX1 and ZX2, the ZX100 cannot drive high impedance or low sensitivity headphones, I am guessing you can't have a great battery life and higher power outputs, it's still much better than the average smartphone mind you, it's just not enough.

Totally. Below 100Ω, the ZX100 is OK. If you use higher impedance stuff, the ZX300 is for you, especially the balanced output. And right, power and battery are going against each other. I hope this will get better in time. :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #3,771 of 3,849
Actually even the ZX300's SE is on par with the WM1A but it needed some burning in before it reached a quality similar to the one on my ZX2, and some more until it reached the sound quality of the WM1A demo units I tested at the Sony store in Ginza.
The DAP that sounded better (although that's subjective, I would rather say "different"), is the WM1Z, but it doesn't sound €2000 better, if you catch my meaning.

Wow, this is interesting! How would you describe the WM-1Z's sound in contrast to the ZX300? I heard the WM-1A and the WM-1Z differs in terms of warmness, the 1Z is more analogue-like than the 1A.
I am from Hungary, unfortunately we cannot even listen to stock 1Z's as there aren't any models in shops, you can only order them via the internet.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #3,772 of 3,849
Totally. Below 100Ω, the ZX100 is OK. If you use higher impedance stuff, the ZX300 is for you, especially the balanced output. And right, power and battery are going against each other. I hope this will get better in time. :)
Indeed, I can even drive my 300Ω Sennheiser HD6XX through the ZX300's balanced output (the SE isn't powerful enough to properly drive these headphones), 200mW per channels will do that for you :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #3,773 of 3,849
Wow, this is interesting! How would you describe the WM-1Z's sound in contrast to the ZX300? I heard the WM-1A and the WM-1Z differs in terms of warmness, the 1Z is more analogue-like than the 1A.
I am from Hungary, unfortunately we cannot even listen to stock 1Z's as there aren't any models in shops, you can only order them via the internet.
The WM1Z is definitely warmer than the WM1A (the WM1A by comparaison is brighter and thus slightly more detailed), the WM1Z has a more "analog" feel to it, as if you were running everything through a tube amp (even though the WM1Z is solid state), the difference isn't that great compared to the WM1A but it's there, some people may prefer one sound signature over the other, I just don't think the price disparity between the both is worth going the WM1Z route even if you do prefer its slightly different sound signature. The ZX300 sounds identical to the WM1A once both units are properly burned in, considering it costs half as much, has a smaller footprint and the USB-DAC feature there isn't much point in buying a WM1A either nowadays unless you really need the extra 50mW per channel on the WM1A balanced output (only 10mW more on the SE output), you could pretty much say that the ZX300 is a smaller, lighter and cheaper iteration of the WM1A, albeit with a smaller screen, slightly lower battery life, 64GB less internal storage and not as premium looking (at least in my opinion), Sony engineers themselves admitted they intended on copying the WM1A sound signature into a more portable footprint when they designed the ZX300 so the identical sound signature isn't really that surprising.

To be honest, I felt I preferred the warmer WM1Z over the ZX300 while using specific headphones (such as the MDR-Z1R) or listening to specific tracks while I preferred the slightly brighter sound of the ZX300 while using other headphones, especially ones that were already on the warmer side of things (such as the Sennheiser HD650), then again it's a matter of preference and I wasn't going to buy several DAPs so I had to settle for one, not that €3200 was anywhere near my budget though, although the WM1A felt like a good contender if the ZX300 wasn't around I would most likely have picked that one.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3,774 of 3,849
i had the ZX100 and ZX300 a while back and i said it back then that the SE output of the 2 players had no difference in sound quality apart from the ZX300 being more airy....the ZX100 had more slam to it in the bass area and the mids were more upfront just the way i like it ...plus 128gb and more battery life i could not give that up ..i have a Sony A45 player as well and that player is not bad almost matching the ZX100 but the bass slam is still better ...i like the UI on the A45 hence why i am using it a lot right now ..
But my ZX100 is still top dog

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #3,775 of 3,849
The ZX100 SE can't be more "powerful" when it's"only" 35mW as opposed to 50mW on the ZX300's own SE, not to mention the ZX100 doesn't have a high gain function. You are using an uncapped version, right?

From my personal experience, the SE is slightly better on the ZX300 than on my ZX2, while the balanced output totally destroys it, the sound signature is identical to the WM1A which is simply leagues ahead from the ZX100.

Power rating is one thing, yes. I suspect the ZX100's gain is designed differently than the ZX300. If you set the ZX300 to high gain then the sound matches better. However, the sound of the ZX100 is still punchier compared to the more refined ZX300. I guess, with that consumer may choose to upgrade if they wanted a smoother sound.....but truly, the upgrade is minimal. The ZX100 still holds it's own very well.

Having listened to the ZX300 extensively, I still maintain that the balanced out is still the ONLY reason anyone wants to upgrade from the ZX100. Balanced out promises lower noise and higher output. With that, ZX100 owners should look at the upgrade ONLY if they wanted to go the balanced path. If their ZX100 is running loud enough atm, I'd say stick with the ZX100. The difference between the SE output of the ZX100 and Bal output of the ZX300 can only be really appreciated with a new pair of balanced ear phones, like say the new XBA-N3BP. The sound is cleaner, clearer with better separation. However the N3BP isn't cheap by any means.

I am also using the WM-WM1A, again, the true improvements lies in the balanced out of this player. The balanced out of the WM1A is miles ahead of the ZX300.........But.........will the WM1A drive a 300ohm? Maybe.....600 ohm, No.

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #3,776 of 3,849
Power rating is one thing, yes. I suspect the ZX100's gain is designed differently than the ZX300. If you set the ZX300 to high gain then the sound matches better. However, the sound of the ZX100 is still punchier compared to the more refined ZX300. I guess, with that consumer may choose to upgrade if they wanted a smoother sound.....but truly, the upgrade is minimal. The ZX100 still holds it's own very well.

Having listened to the ZX300 extensively, I still maintain that the balanced out is still the ONLY reason anyone wants to upgrade from the ZX100. Balanced out promises lower noise and higher output. With that, ZX100 owners should look at the upgrade ONLY if they wanted to go the balanced path. If their ZX100 is running loud enough atm, I'd say stick with the ZX100. The difference between the SE output of the ZX100 and Bal output of the ZX300 can only be really appreciated with a new pair of balanced ear phones, like say the new XBA-N3BP. The sound is cleaner, clearer with better separation. However the N3BP isn't cheap by any means.

I am also using the WM-WM1A, again, the true improvements lies in the balanced out of this player. The balanced out of the WM1A is miles ahead of the ZX300.........But.........will the WM1A drive a 300ohm? Maybe.....600 ohm, No.

You are 100% right. Now I turned to ZX100 and I am more satisfied with it than with the ZX300. Not because it is better of course. Having tried both, the 300 has a better UI and of course a little bit more detailed, definitely more laid back sound.
But the ZX100 is a bit harder, but in a way that this harder presentation does not consume the highs. Though it's quite prominent. The ZX100 is clearly levels up from my A829 which I still love. The ZX300's SE is not that superior to the ZX100's,
and to be very honest I am not convinced that we have a greater deal with that kind of subtleness-when some of the dynamics and punch are sacrificed. I don't feel regret that I am back with the 100 at all. Of course when I'll have something balanced
in the future, I will buy it or I'll buy the actual balanced capable unit. I am so grateful that you completely back me on this :)
I have a notion that if you either have the ZX100 or the 300, the real improvement should be the WM-1Z. But does it worth it for over $3000?
I think the bottom line here is the same as with yours: the ZX100 is far more of an advancement as a first high res player from average players than the difference the 300 gives you from it's predecessor. Oh and one more thing but it's rather personal: I am so delighted that it has all physical buttons...:)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #3,777 of 3,849

I beg to differ, the balanced output on the NW-WM1A sounds identical to the NW-ZX300 aside from the extra 50mW per channel, even Sony engineers themselves confirmed this and most people who listen to both side by side, me included cannot tell the difference.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,778 of 3,849
I beg to differ, the balanced output on the NW-WM1A sounds identical to the NW-ZX300 aside from the extra 50mW per channel, even Sony engineers themselves confirmed this and most people who listen to both side by side, me included cannot tell the difference.

No waaayyy..........that's the most absurd thing I've read/heard so far. Unless my ZX300 is defective, there is a day and night difference to the WM1A.

Can you post me the link where Sony engineers said and confirmed that? Not a challenge but I want to read it for myself.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #3,779 of 3,849
You are 100% right. Now I turned to ZX100 and I am more satisfied with it than with the ZX300. Not because it is better of course. Having tried both, the 300 has a better UI and of course a little bit more detailed, definitely more laid back sound.
But the ZX100 is a bit harder, but in a way that this harder presentation does not consume the highs. Though it's quite prominent. The ZX100 is clearly levels up from my A829 which I still love. The ZX300's SE is not that superior to the ZX100's,
and to be very honest I am not convinced that we have a greater deal with that kind of subtleness-when some of the dynamics and punch are sacrificed. I don't feel regret that I am back with the 100 at all. Of course when I'll have something balanced
in the future, I will buy it or I'll buy the actual balanced capable unit. I am so grateful that you completely back me on this :)
I have a notion that if you either have the ZX100 or the 300, the real improvement should be the WM-1Z. But does it worth it for over $3000?
I think the bottom line here is the same as with yours: the ZX100 is far more of an advancement as a first high res player from average players than the difference the 300 gives you from it's predecessor. Oh and one more thing but it's rather personal: I am so delighted that it has all physical buttons...:)

You are spot on about the WM1Z. Although for most people the WM1A would be plenty good already.

If you can cough it up, the WM1A is the real "upgrade" to the ZX100. However, the sound is one of more relaxed, natural and realistic. You get the sense of listening to real instruments rather than generated music. I didn't expect it to do house or techno or rap or dubstep at all but It did Ton Loc's remixes with ease, put PVD in the house, Eminem back on track and sounded really good. At the same time, making Lisa Ekdahl's whispers sound so lifelike and Yosi Horikawa messing about in your head with frogs and marbles so realistically. I can replicate that with a good pair of earphones on the ZX100 sans the refinement and resolution of course. But for pure musical enjoyment, the ZX100 will take you there quite convincingly albeit differently.

I upgraded from the ZX100 to the ZX300. A week later I bought the WM1A. I'm keeping the ZX100 and finally decided to let the ZX300 go. The ZX100 sounds not only different to the current breed it sounds rather good too.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #3,780 of 3,849
You are spot on about the WM1Z. Although for most people the WM1A would be plenty good already.

If you can cough it up, the WM1A is the real "upgrade" to the ZX100. However, the sound is one of more relaxed, natural and realistic. You get the sense of listening to real instruments rather than generated music. I didn't expect it to do house or techno or rap or dubstep at all but It did Ton Loc's remixes with ease, put PVD in the house, Eminem back on track and sounded really good. At the same time, making Lisa Ekdahl's whispers sound so lifelike and Yosi Horikawa messing about in your head with frogs and marbles so realistically. I can replicate that with a good pair of earphones on the ZX100 sans the refinement and resolution of course. But for pure musical enjoyment, the ZX100 will take you there quite convincingly albeit differently.

I upgraded from the ZX100 to the ZX300. A week later I bought the WM1A. I'm keeping the ZX100 and finally decided to let the ZX300 go. The ZX100 sounds not only different to the current breed it sounds rather good too.

I think I know what you mean. I might get one of the WM1 series one day. For now and for a long time the ZX100 is absolutely lovely as it is. :)
And yes, I had a slight notion that the 100 might be the last, more rough type of high res player from Sony? Seems like the newer ones are rather
laid back. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back