SONY NW-ZX100
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #3,721 of 3,849
any of you guys who own ZX100 tempted to update to ZX300 for the newer features? or do you prefer the older nw-zx300 for some features which either been omitted from zx300 ( digital noise cancellation) or reduced ( battery life and internal memory)?

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #3,722 of 3,849
any of you guys who own ZX100 tempted to update to ZX300 for the newer features? or do you prefer the older nw-zx300 for some features which either been omitted from zx300 ( digital noise cancellation) or reduced ( battery life and internal memory)?

For 50+50 mWs, the 300 is a dream come true for me. I'd be happily sacrifice some battery time if I'll have AT LAST a proper power section from Sony.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,724 of 3,849
I'm still not sold on my ZX100....I have a horrible time trying to connect it to any BT speaker, and sometimes music wont transfer over, I see the metadata, but it won't see the actual file.

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #3,725 of 3,849
I am still enjoying my zx100 .. 128gb and longer battery life is ideal for me I don't even use external storage yet I am on the fence right now..

I am the same, 128gb and fine music reproduction as well as the 45 hour flac playback is best aspect of my nw-zx100, i probably use it until 2024 (wait for 45 year walkman anniversary model)

i will also like to use the Ldac function, i have already tried it with my friends mdr-x1000 it was so awesome and didn't sound compressed, not to far from wired earphones ( using xba-40) at all in scale, depth and separation

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #3,726 of 3,849
I will likely going to upgrade to the zx300 and sell the zx100. I need driving power for my SA5000 and Utopia.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,727 of 3,849
i am more tan happy with my WM1A the finest sound reproduction and yet lightweight, weights more tan zx100 for sure but it is still light. I will skip the zx300

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,728 of 3,849
I already have the 1z but always curious and I suspect that the ZX300 can do some good for my portable usage.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #3,729 of 3,849
I am seriously considering one, acting as an MQA DAC means I can stream hi Res and tidal masters on my laptop at work too. I'd be interested to know if it's powerful enough for my HD600s at home and also if the memory is either/or like the ZX100, if they've fixed that to be a single library then this will have finally nailed all of my "would like" list too!

If I do I'm definitely going to be a dork and use the zx300 as a DAC for the ZX100 at some point too!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,730 of 3,849
I have the MDR-1000x cans, currently used with an old Xperia Z3, and seriously thinking about purchasing the Nw-zx100 DAP to try to get more juice.
I listen to several kinds of music (classical, classic rock, some edm, alternative) but mostly to extreme metal (death, doom, black).
Problem comes because sometimes I feel like the most saturated/fast songs sound a little bit muffled and distorted.
Do you think that with this DAP I can feel any improvement/clearer sound?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,731 of 3,849
I have the MDR-1000x cans, currently used with an old Xperia Z3, and seriously thinking about purchasing the Nw-zx100 DAP to try to get more juice.
I listen to several kinds of music (classical, classic rock, some edm, alternative) but mostly to extreme metal (death, doom, black).
Problem comes because sometimes I feel like the most saturated/fast songs sound a little bit muffled and distorted.
Better sound yes. But the zx100 will also reveal bad recordings. Metal music isn't known for great recording quality..for this type of music your old z3 will do just fine. With classical and almost everything else, the zx100 will triumph. I have the zx100 and feel that the upcoming zx300 has far better features. Id go for that.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,732 of 3,849
With Bluetooth headphones won't the sound be the same between devices? The DAC/amp chips are in the headphone itself.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,733 of 3,849
Better sound yes. But the zx100 will also reveal bad recordings. Metal music isn't known for great recording quality..for this type of music your old z3 will do just fine. With classical and almost everything else, the zx100 will triumph. I have the zx100 and feel that the upcoming zx300 has far better features. Id go for that.

With Bluetooth headphones won't the sound be the same between devices? The DAC/amp chips are in the headphone itself.

Luckily there are some metal records published in HiRes (I've got some Gojira and others in HD tracks for trying) also even a lot of underground bands are taking care of production. The bad side is that the majority of my collection are in the raw and dirty sound side.
I love piano recordings and Chopin is always in my play list (bought some albums in HD tracks too). So if I get some improvement as you mentioned I will update to ZX100 because have found it at 349 Euros.
Moreover, I think that LDAC will help a little when wireless pay (z3 lacks of it)

Regarding the stalepie comment, but sound is not produced/sent by the DAP? Although later it goes through headphones' DAC (sorry if this sentence is senseless, but I am new in this worl)

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,734 of 3,849
Regarding the stalepie comment, but sound is not produced/sent by the DAP? Although later it goes through headphones' DAC (sorry if this sentence is senseless, but I am new in this worl)
I thought it was just the data sent to the headphones, but maybe I'm wrong. If you're using LDAC on the Walkman then you get higher quality streaming, if LDAC isn't available with the Z3.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,735 of 3,849
I thought it was just the data sent to the headphones, but maybe I'm wrong. If you're using LDAC on the Walkman then you get higher quality streaming, if LDAC isn't available with the Z3.

No, you're right, bluetooth audio data stream goes through built in DAC & Amp circuit in the headphones... like you said as pertains to audio quality, source matters for connection speed/stability/strength and BT codec support (aptx, ldac etc...). However, 1000x can also work with device audio from headphone jacks with a cable, if I remember right.

If primary interest here is wireless with LDAC, it's much cheaper on A30/A40 series ( though recently read A30 does not support EQ over BT, no idea about zx100).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back