SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #44,431 of 45,723
But if it’s only the volume difference there shouldn’t be any soundstage difference if we volume match? So this means ++ is a different tuning? Otherwise with volume matching there shouldn’t be a difference at all.

If there is no reason for changes then maybe it’s just a suggested thing in audio.........where people think they hear stuff that’s different because of expectation bias. It wouldn’t be first first or last time for such tomfoolery.

Cheers!

Edit:
And what happens is once it’s suggested others can actually go along with the suggestion. They hear what’s been suggested to be true. Interesting though that MrWalkman noticed a change in bass? So maybe there is something going on?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #44,432 of 45,723
1599589961451125287022452009722.jpg

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #44,434 of 45,723
I have an abnormal question. I was told by a friend that Android OS turns on 'Location' for Bluetooth to function. And therefore, I am assuming there is a GPS chip inside such Android phones/DAPs for location identification. Is this true with non-Android DAPs too, say, Sony 1A/1Z/A55 etc that offer Bluetooth? Is there a GPS chip inside Sony Walkmans, and therefore a way to track/trace the location of the user of such DAPs when they turn Bluetooth on, if the IEMI number of the associated device is already in the hands of those who wish to trace/track the location of the owner of the device?

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #44,437 of 45,723
I have an abnormal question. I was told by a friend that Android OS turns on 'Location' for Bluetooth to function. And therefore, I am assuming there is a GPS chip inside such Android phones/DAPs for location identification. Is this true with non-Android DAPs too, say, Sony 1A/1Z/A55 etc that offer Bluetooth? Is there a GPS chip inside Sony Walkmans, and therefore a way to track/trace the location of the user of such DAPs when they turn Bluetooth on, if the IEMI number of the associated device is already in the hands of those who wish to trace/track the location of the owner of the device?

I don't know if that's true regarding bluetooth, but no, you don't need GPS for location service. Wifi can also provide accurate location via SSID scanning/mapping. Most tablets don't have GPS, yet support location services via wifi method. In fact, even if you have GPS, you want to enable wifi for better/quicker accuracy.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #44,438 of 45,723
I don't know if that's true regarding bluetooth, but no, you don't need GPS for location service. Wifi can also provide accurate location via SSID scanning/mapping. Most tablets don't have GPS, yet support location services via wifi method. In fact, even if you have GPS, you want to enable wifi for better/quicker accuracy.

I'm pretty sure the Sony OS players have neither GPS nor WIFI build in but do have BT and NFC

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #44,439 of 45,723

And therefore, location of a Sony Walkman is less likely be traced for lack of WiFi feature (and possible absence of GPS chip)? I surely would like a DAP that can remain off-radar all the time for personal reasons. But I need to make sure Sony 1A/1Z can and will remain unconnected and unattached to the location co-ordinates at all times or any other high-end DAP that can exhibit such behavior. Would appreciate any further info you guys here could provide.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #44,440 of 45,723
Leaving any technical info about GPS/etc. aside, why would they want to trace your DAP?

I can also imagine the DAP consuming much more battery if it would be connected to GPS every time BT would be active...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #44,441 of 45,723
I don't think Sony cares about where you are, where you are going, what's your habit etc etc. It cost money to put those features inside 1A/1Z and run the servers. I don't think Sony expect you to carry 1Z wherever you go, do you? It's not practical, and that thing weighs a ton

Besides, there's a much more effective tool used to track/snoop where you are, since you carried it everyday with you. Yes, look at your own cellphone :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #44,442 of 45,723
Leaving any technical info about GPS/etc. aside, why would they want to trace your DAP?

I can also imagine the DAP consuming much more battery if it would be connected to GPS all the time...

I needn't tell you how increasingly invasive the world around is becoming. Not just the authorities. When one wishes to remain untraceable, one needs to purchase only those devices that can't be tracked. Especially those in media and journalism and even those normal folks who might turn whistleblowers for the good of all. Surely good audiophile devices aren't only for those who lead normal lives? :wink: One can discard a dozen phones a year while on the run but one needs to be super rich to discard a high-end DAP every 6 months. Hence the search for a private DAP but of at least 1A/1Z league.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #44,443 of 45,723
I don't think Sony cares about where you are, where you are going, what's your habit etc etc. It cost money to put those features inside 1A/1Z and run the servers. I don't think Sony expect you to carry 1Z wherever you go, do you? It's not practical, and that thing weighs a ton

Besides, there's a much more effective tool used to track/snoop where you are, since you carried it everyday with you. Yes, look at your own cellphone :dt880smile:

No, I am not worried about Sony collecting location information themselves. I am only worried about third party players who could access the features in any brand/make DAP that comes with hardware/software features that can be exploited for location tracking.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #44,445 of 45,723
In order to be tracked via GPS only, from the GPS side (with no internet access), this would mean that there should be a service that is just keeping the GPS active and fixed on your location for some reason. Even on Android devices, the GPS will communicate with the satellites to get your location after being asked so by an app/service.

The relation between Bluetooth and GPS/location is normally the usage of Bluetooth to scan for nearby devices, which can help locating you. Wi-fi can be used in the same way, to scan for Wi-fi networks around you, even when the Wi-fi is off.

Also, talking about the Bluetooth scanning for devices around, for location purposes - if you have Bluetooth active, some person's smartphone could scan for BT devices around it, and in this way it could get the DAP's BT mac for example.

I really wouldn't worry about someone tracking your non-Android DAP, which doesn't have any other functional feature except playing music basically. Up to you, of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back