SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #43,789 of 45,723
I’m sorry if I missed it but was there anything worth upgrading for in the other series latest firmware upgrades, that could come to the WM1?
Curious!
DSEE HX AI?
Just like in @MrWalkman ‘s firmware I suppose, but maybe in a more official way :)

DSEE HX AI is available since around 2018 if I'm not mistaken. If they wanted to do it for the WM1 devices, they could've done that in the 2019 update.

They also released a firmware update somewhere in October once.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #43,790 of 45,723
Just like in @MrWalkman ‘s firmware I suppose, but maybe in a more official way :)
Mr Walkman's is based off DMP-Z1 AI firmware.

DSEE HX AI is quite special as in it gets better/smarter over time with material training and human assistance.

The ZX507's DSEE HX AI seems to sound even more enveloping on the latest firmware release.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #43,791 of 45,723
Mr Walkman's is based off DMP-Z1 AI firmware.

DSEE HX AI is quite special as in it gets better/smarter over time with material training and human assistance.

The ZX507's DSEE HX AI seems to sound even more enveloping on the latest firmware release.

very interesting!

would be great to see what they (if they) release it for the WM1 series!

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #43,793 of 45,723
Mr Walkman's is based off DMP-Z1 firmware.

The ZX507's DSEE HX AI seems to gotten even more enveloping on the latest firmware release.
The DMP-Z1 has a very different build elsewhere, especially power management and power distributions, let alone the digital conversions and amp stage. But I leave it to your imagination :wink:

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #43,794 of 45,723
DSEE HX is a software based effect, and the DMP-Z1 player app, that takes care of the DSEE HX effect (as well as of the all other effects) is the same as the app on the other Walkman players, like WM1/A30/A40/A50. So if we're talking about the effect itself, it is exactly as the one on the DMP-Z1.

There was someone on another forum implying that it's all just a name change, from "Standard" to "DSEE HX AI", but I think we already tried it ourselves and heard the difference.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #43,795 of 45,723
Unfortunately, I don’t work on those cables you have, so my researches are not about them. There could be a couple things you can try out.
If you think it is acting as an antenna, then have it lay next to a cellphone while observing to see if the hisses increased. Then you can go from there

Tried putting the cable with WM1A connected around, under, over, and many other similar places near 5Ghz router, 2.4Ghz routers, Zigbee routers (which is 2.4Ghz), LED lamps, power converters, Wireless RF devices in the Mhz range, Bluetooth, and nothing, the noise floor is consistent.

I am not an expert, should I conclude that it is not an antenna issue? Then what it can be? I will understand if no other answers can be provided, I will just live with it.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #43,796 of 45,723
@Nayparm modded WM1A, @MrWalkman ++ firmware, IER-Z1R with PW Audio 1960s cable

Sounds amazing, Bluetooth has incredible range and the battery lasts about 40 hours non stop.

tempted to sell my WM1Z now... or should I send that one to @Nayparm too??? :darthsmile:2759955D-0CD2-48A8-A13B-352B567D066D.jpeg
Hi there,
Does the ier-z1r sound better with 1960s cable compared to stock cable?
I am about to upgrade z1r but not sure where to go
I

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #43,797 of 45,723
Hi there,
I
I wouldn’t say better, but I like it more this way and also like the way the cable feels.
its just different.
@Vitaly2017 had extensive experience with that cable and the WM so he will chime in!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #43,798 of 45,723
Hi there,
I

Go kimber kable don't look at nothing else

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #43,800 of 45,723
My vote is to send it in :wink:. Hardware and firmware both modified are exquisite devices, not easy to come by

Tough one, aswell as the copper you also have the fine sound resistors and the larger 256gb storage. It could be the first Z1 to have the cut circuit mod with large Kaisei caps for the ultimate WM1. I'm over the moon with the prototype with large FineGolds so Kaisei should be jaw dropping. I'll be doing a WM1A for myself with all Kaisie -cut board power cap and large balanced out caps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back