SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #42,601 of 45,723
If you use the MDR-Z1R in balanced mode on the WM1A you shouldn't need an amp.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #42,602 of 45,723

I've never owned the MDR-Z1R. However I've heard the complete opposite from 2 very reliable sources that I spoke to personally at a meetup:

Professional reviewer - Z1R pairs great with WM1 DAP, and not so much with others. Sony must have tuned for their specific DAPs.

Sony Authorized Dealer - Loved the Z1R, but told me flat out not to pair with a Sony DAP, but rather go AK because Z1R needs more power. This dealer does not sell AK so he bought his own at full retail.

I can only assume power does change sound characteristics of Z1R and that some will prefer lower versus higher.

As the the OP's question, I would look into a used Woo Audio WA11 if budget allows for the following reasons:
  • WA11 will absolutely not leave you wanting more power. It has about 10x the power output of the WM1a.
  • You can try both digital out and balanced out to connect your WM1a to the WA11.
  • Pentaconn balanced output.
  • Quality and workmanship on par with Sony.
You want to use balanced output since that is what WM1 series is optimized for and also the only way to output native DSD.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #42,603 of 45,723
I have asked already on the MDR-Z1R thread, apologies followers, but I also felt it was appropriate to ask here as it is also relevant to the WM1A.
Through a fortunate twist of fate I ended up with an opportunity to own the MDR-Z1R for a very low price which has made me reassess my simple iem/WM1A set up.
They sound fine together but I feel they should be given a chance to shine with a more powerful output and in the future I would like to get a headphone amp. Before I go all leather chair, top shelf whisky sipping with a serious desktop amp to start off I would like to see if I can achieve benefits with a portable option - 4.4mm would be a bonus, although I will consider other options.
I like my WM1A and prefer to keep the sound so ideally I want to use the 3.5mm as a line out. I've never done it this way before always using the dac/amp together, can anyone please suggest a low priced portable amp that will provide the Z1R an opportunity to stretch it's wings a bit?
Fiio K5 PRO? Fiio Q5/s? Xudoo options? iFi options?
I never use an amp with the MDR-Z1R with the 1A. I play it at a volume around 55 on high gain out of 120.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #42,604 of 45,723
I got mdrz7m2 and i am at high gain 80/120 and I find it lacks on amping power. Volume wise is fine but not very powerful as sound. The z7m2 and z1r 100% need an amp with 1a or 1z...

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #42,605 of 45,723
I do use balanced and as I have just got them I am enjoying the sound from my WM1A but there are opinions that headphones like the MDR-Z1R can benefit from a higher output (voltage, ampage, impedance?) than Sony daps can provide. Maybe I've misunderstood?

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #42,606 of 45,723
I got mdrz7m2 and i am at high gain 80/120 and I find it lacks on amping power. Volume wise is fine but not very powerful as sound. The z7m2 and z1r 100% need an amp with 1a or 1z...
Wow. I use my Z7M2 without an amp and play it on High Gain with the volume 50 out of 120. No need at all. And the results are priceless, easy to listen to.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #42,608 of 45,723
Wow. I use my Z7M2 without an amp and play it on High Gain with the volume 50 out of 120. No need at all. And the results are priceless, easy to listen to.

I can 100% confirm I am not death lol. I swapped to iems and set volume down to 50/120 high gain....
What I tried to say is I find z7m2 to quiet or fint as sound on lower volumes. When rising to 80 everything is elevated and there is much more life and musicality. Things get very active and fun. Low volume dont drive them to the full potential that they can do

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #42,610 of 45,723
I think there is a misunderstanding between adequate volume and being driven well.
Nope. Whether I use it with the DAPs or the TH-ZH1ES, I'm happy with the MDR-Z1R and Z7M2 and how much each devices outputs.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #42,611 of 45,723
I only use mine on airplanes and I don't fly often anymore. I may end up getting them, but then I would have $350 more to have to save for my next dap. It will be after my next dap before I get them unless I want to use the over $400 in gift cards I can get from my Shop Kicks app along with selling my XM2 phones.

you should have bought @Vitaly2017 's brand new WM1A for just 675$ (PP fees and shipping included) - whoever got it, got himself a BARGAIN.

just my 2 cents.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #42,612 of 45,723
To bring my volume down on 1a + z7m2 I enable the dynamic volume normalizer in that case it seems to elevate all the lower and quiet parts of the music up and it sounds even and more louder. With that option I can set the volume by 5 clicks lower

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #42,613 of 45,723
Nope. Whether I use it with the DAPs or the TH-ZH1ES, I'm happy with the MDR-Z1R and Z7M2 and how much each devices outputs.
I too enjoy the MDR-Z1R from my WM1A, but from the feedback of many TH-ZH1ES owners it is spoken very highly of and takes them to another level - I was just hoping to achieve any step toward that.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #42,614 of 45,723
I too enjoy the MDR-Z1R from my WM1A, but from the feedback of many TH-ZH1ES owners it is spoken very highly of and takes them to another level - I was just hoping to achieve any step toward that.

There is no doubt TH will do a better work! And it has same s-master dac! So its a no brainer for me.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #42,615 of 45,723
Try the iFi Hip DAC if you're set on doing that, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back