SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #40,801 of 45,723
stock wm1a is also very enjoyable , but yeah very eager to see what this new transformation sounds like

meanwhile , funk/groove discovery of the day - a monster hit from 1984 , when 'black' music was still COOKING

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #40,802 of 45,723
In theory it can’t happen. It’s like trying to make something that’s physically different the same with firmware. The sound of these things are a combination of hardware and firmware. Though in the last year our basic understanding of the full intentions of the 1A stock firmware has changed. Many of us simply feel the 1A has never been optimized by Sony. There is an unlocked potential for improvement. Some in this thread have modified their 1A player with both hardware and firmware modifications. Others have found the 1A become closer to the stock 1Z with a simple 30 second aftermarket firmware. But there are sound properties from the 1Z copper case. There are differences in tone due to the 1Z capacitors. The Kimber Kable used in the 1Z makes a change too.

But in the end the 1A has it’s own special sound normally. So if you do believe the stock firmware is holding the 1A back, the solution can be a choice of changing firmware? It can in reality be it’s own enjoyable and charismatic player. The reality we may be understanding though is that a larger section of the 1Z personally came from firmware? That’s to be determined when the masses get this update.
This is really interesting. However, why would they still produce more units of the 1z as it much more expensive to do and assuming profit margins lower and demand lower than the 1a? They could focus on unleashing the true potential of the 1a and really market that.
This is very exciting work that Mr Walkman is doing.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #40,803 of 45,723
This is really interesting. However, why would they still produce more units of the 1z as it much more expensive to do and assuming profit margins lower and demand lower than the 1a? They could focus on unleashing the true potential of the 1a and really market that.
This is very exciting work that Mr Walkman is doing.

The hardest pill for me to swallow was the 1A being intentionally thwarted. It does not make sense that you would make the biggest seller have a compromised sound to give way for a few to step up to the 1Z. It’s science fiction almost. But it may be true.......... it’s still a matter of opinion.

Again the public statement is that the two players catered to two distinctly different listeners.

I mean I’ve been around the “headphone block”, I’ve been to the meets and dipped my ears in the STAX equipment and the Sony MDR R10 accomplishments. I think I know what good fairly neutral audiophile sound is. I also kind of know what old school mid 1960s Hi/Fi is. It’s obviously a matter of taste if the legendary AKG K1000 was truly great or bass shy? But it’s not a chance opinion that the Sony 1A Walkman with U region and stock 3.02 is awful.......it’s awful sounding! IMO

In general the 1A is OK but in 20/20 hindsight we all know the 1A can be better. And not just “matter of subjective opinion” better. But across the board better in anyone’s judgment. So it makes you wonder what Sony is thinking. Everyone has their own theory but for me I simply rolled the 1A firmware back to 3.01 and left the 1Z on 3.02 before custom firmwares emerged.

We now know that maybe the 1A was just too good. Remember when they came out with the very first series of firmware; they had a very different sound? Before 2.00 there was a completely different sound and as always it was subjective what was the correct firmware to use. So as always it’s arguable if this new era of sound from the later firmware was Sony simply getting more advanced with the firmware? I mean how do you sell more Walkmans and new Walkman models in the future if your basic $1200 1A has such a platform that it can get maximized into a different sounding and better unit just with firmware updates?

Sony may have said?
“We have to roll this sound quality back.”

The New Aftermarket Home-Brew Firmwares:

Remember these new firmwares are only scratching the surface of ground work that’s already been done by Sony. These firmware mods are built off 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 if I understand this right. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong)

So the 1A actually became better way after the Walkman was introduced. Same as the 1Z...the 1Z has sonic potential unlocked if your into 3.01, 3.02? But for many of users, that owned both players, we found 3.02 to be subjectively a strange sound for the 1A. So in many ways it almost seemed like 3.02 was this statement firmware that was custom made for the 1Z.......like Sony was still supporting it’s top dog.

It’s hard to 2nd guess Sony as they have a history of just basking in what accomplishment they can get!

It’s a concept of performance at any cost. Look at the concept cars that car manufacturers make. They are not for sale but end up a statement of innovation.

Look at the 10K DMP-Z1......look at the 2020 $70,000 98 inch 8K Master Series TV that made debut last month. They don’t even carry them in stock anywhere. You pay the money and they go and build it. Much of this has to do with extreme strange accomplishments that they hold as something they are smitten with themselves over. :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #40,804 of 45,723
People have probably seen from others, but just in case, the internals were on display at Yodobashi Camera and I took some shots. Hope they are at least a little clear enough

009F69E4-87EF-44F5-9BA0-B32750C91345.jpeg
A1A405B5-6C81-4E2E-ACA8-6A9604AA2C73.jpeg
12453AF5-B24E-40E6-B3BA-D371FC1DFAA9.jpeg
B2328127-EBE3-4733-A6C1-A84CAFE79EE6.jpeg
BB2D5F0D-67FA-4A19-97EA-B25E54D6DB3B.jpeg
01DEC22F-C45E-4FB6-9768-7BCE81D82F1D.jpeg
643964E2-9429-4CFD-9A2F-E56E57EB4A6B.jpeg

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #40,805 of 45,723
But it’s not chance that the Sony 1A Walkman with U region and stock 3.02 is good. It’s OK but in 20/20 hindsight we all know the 1A can be better.

The only difference is capacitors, resistors, wires, and copper instead of aluminium. How could these and just a different type of signature produce such a difference?

So it makes sense that it could be better.

Remember these new firmwares are only scratching the surface of ground work that’s already been done by Sony. These firmware mods are built off 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 if I understand this right. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong)

And well, DSD Remastering worked on the device when testing the Z1 app, DSEE AI is somewhere there as well.

But such is the life sometimes. It's good that we can do ourselves something about it at least.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #40,806 of 45,723
The only difference is capacitors, resistors, wires, and copper instead of aluminium. How could these and just a different type of signature produce such a difference?

So it makes sense that it could be better.

The 1A can do DSD remastering? (Sorry left that out of your quote)

But exactly I’m fully ready to find out how much a stock 1A can go up against a stock 1Z. Also I am suspect as why is J such a great region and only offered to locals like local seafood benefits? Lol

I myself value the 1A for it’s character alone because at times different is better just because it’s different. The 1Z has a lifelike sound that the 1A does not. Now if that’s because of casework and cables and wires, OK. But without that lifelike tone the 1A is still highly entertaining. But it gets an improvement by becoming warmer (with aftermarket firmware) than any of the stock firmware does. IMO

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #40,807 of 45,723
The 1A can do DSD remastering? (Sorry left that out of your quote)

But exactly I’m fully ready to find out how much a stock 1A can go up against a stock 1Z. Also I am suspect as why is J such a great region and only offered to locals like local seafood benefits? Lol

I myself value the 1A for it’s character alone because at times different is better just because it’s different. The 1Z has a lifelike sound that the 1A does not. Now if that’s because of casework and cables and wires, OK. But without that lifelike tone the 1A is still highly entertaining. But it gets an improvement by becoming warmer than any of the stock firmware does. IMO
After trying out lots of headphones on my these DAPs, I think it’s also good to appreciate how much variety of sound there is regardless of price. I discovered a lot in this journey

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #40,808 of 45,723
After trying out lots of headphones on my these DAPs, I think it’s also good to appreciate how much variety of sound there is regardless of price. I discovered a lot in this journey

The variety in you can relate with the changes when they are there.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #40,809 of 45,723
The variety in you can relate with the changes when they are there.
Yup. I honestly haven’t done much of a comparison between the players as I have simply swapped them out when one battery is low and the other charges. Then once that player is on low, rinse and repeat the cycle. Maybe that’s something I can check out tomorrow on how the 1Z and 1A are different enough. Little things like these are why it’s important to appreciate what you have.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #40,810 of 45,723
the change is huge. On the other hand, give this a thought. Forget about the 1z and the 1a having different hardware as we already know it does. So now this new change brings the exact original Sony tuning of 1z to the 1A using stock 3.02 firmware. So I believe that this new sound is in a category of its own. It’s not the1z sound neither is it the 1A sound. Follow me so far? Let’s call this new sound 1AZ for clarity. What if 1AZ sounds better on the 1A than it does on the 1Z? This is highly possible because we know there are hardware differences between the 1A and 1z. So what is 1AZ sounds the best on the 1A? Think about it! Upgraded components and wires aside, it doesn’t guarantee better fidelity.
so this new switcher you are testing, are you still on the J region for this sound impression? It’s possible to apply other regions for more varieties , isn’t it?

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #40,811 of 45,723
So no matter what external or firmware changes are done, the internals will always make a difference in the end
I am not of this opinion actually.
I view the hardware mods as a separate direction of refinement.

My idea was to bring the 1Z sound to 1A. Not sure yet if anything can be done for 1Z using this, but I'd rather test it when we'll have UPGs.
Yes, we can see if there is any way to initiate the "AI", or get higher player level sound like DMP.

Best if there's measurement can justify it . Looking forward to appreciate your test review. :)
There is a problem there, in the scientific world, the correct method used to be that any theory or test was always verified based on observation.

Real world observation was the final say, or it was incorrect.

Today we can get any data manipulated to show any point of view, but final observation is always proof.

In past I was questioned where is my data, so then after I have proven my headphone mods with data (and measuring coupler tuned to inner fidelity), in another childish website (S**F) they were still bashing. So there is a limit to how much measuring will actually convince people. It has to be observed/verified with ears.

I view most changes as equivalent to cable change, with the exception of the caps.

The upgrade of the stock output caps to some "oscon" caps, is the main difference for me.
But this difference is still not enough to explain the sound difference.

The (1z) Pana oscon caps are really not that much better than the (1a) stock caps, and would still have limited crappy abilities compared to normal caps that the hardware mods do.
So I am of the view that I believe the 1a firmware mods.

That's why I view hardware mods as a different type upgrade, and actually a higher refinement of the player to end game status..
:wink:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #40,812 of 45,723
so this new switcher you are testing, are you still on the J region for this sound impression? It’s possible to apply other regions for more varieties , isn’t it?
Yes. Tested on J. IMO, J has he beat synergy for all the tunings that have been released thus far as well as this new method. I only use J And nothing else as it is the most balanced, has the beat timbre and is an overall clean sound and the most neutral region.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #40,813 of 45,723
Thanks for answering. So you are saying you do album sort like the following:

Carry Underwood's first album is 101
Her second album is 102
If she has a live album, that would be 201 regardless of when it was released?
If she did an album with someone else, it would be 301?
If she did a sound track, that would be 401?

Just trying to understand the live, compilations and soundtracks numbering.

Glad to hear the WM1A/Z does genres correct. I will not consider a DAP that does not anymore.
Correct, except I use 301 for a greatest hits compilations.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #40,814 of 45,723
I bagged what I think is a bargain today, a 1tb Sandisk Extreme Pro mSD for the 1A, for just under $200 - guaranteed authentic, 2yr warranty etc etc...

now the unenviable task of transferring from my 400gb card to this one...

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #40,815 of 45,723
I bagged what I think is a bargain today, a 1tb Sandisk Extreme Pro mSD for the 1A, for just under $200 - guaranteed authentic, 2yr warranty etc etc...

now the unenviable task of transferring from my 400gb card to this one...
I’m lazy on that front. I just copy straight from Media Go to the new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back