SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #40,771 of 45,723
Hey, could you please pick me up a Musashino Label case for mewhile you're their when you get the chance? Lol. I didn't jump at the opportunity to buy one off of a Japanese electronic site and now I'm afraid I'll never get one.
They were sold out last time I checked. If it comes up, I’ll let you know. I bought two for each of my DAPs

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #40,774 of 45,723
Yes. This new method is a full transformation. At least software and tuning wise. The earlier model changer only changes a few values. Not complete like this. Hence the very significant sound change.And the beat part of it all is you’re using stock 3.02 firmware, so your battery will last longer than if you use any tuning mods.
I can second this. There is Zero way that a 1A can be made to sound like a 1Z just with firmware Alone. Just like I mentioned before, a 1Z is a modified 1A in both firmware and hardware wise. It is up to whether a person can hear the differences, but if you can observe the changes from firmware, then you can pretty much observe the differences between hardware as well.

I have experimented this before, to install a stock 1Z firmware on a 1A. There are improvements to be heard, yet, the 1Z will still sound better, period. The exact case where @ttt123 and @Maxx134 just mentioned as above
The firmware is actually the same for both devices, so technically you can't install "the 1Z firmware". Also, installing a firmware alone will not actually be enough, due to the way the firmware works internally when choosing the 1A or 1Z sound.

I don't mean to be rude, but reading this thread, you were mentioning how the DMP-Z1 firmware is partially applied, or that 3.01 tunings are loading without needing to install stock 3.01 firmware due to someone else modifying the firmware, when actually it's because the stock 3.01 UPG was used instead of the DMP-Z1 1.02 one, so I'm not sure what to believe...

Due to how big the change is when compared to tuning mods, I would say that firmware alone is already 98-99% percent of the deal. Just my opinion, hopefully one day someone can test this side by side.
No. I am talking about the sound difference compared to any other tuning mods or the old model switcher and this new method.
So no matter what external or firmware changes are done, the internals will always make a difference in the end? I’m curious to test the 1A mod since I own both DAPs
No, the firmware has a way of "deciding" which tuning to load basically. Internals could bring a change, but the change should be more on the subtle side of things.
Unless you can’t tell the differences between cables. Just the internal cables alone from KimberKables is already an upgrade to the OFC from the 1A, period. Give both DAPs a try when the new firmware released after it testing phase, you will see.

I think we can all agree that the 1A and 1Z sound is a combination of physical electronic properties and firmware. The choice is really if you care to imagine that firmware continued to delineate the two players farther apart than what the mods do to the 1Z?

For many of us the new introduction of firmwares seemed to unlock the 1A hidden potential. If you choose to admire the changes is purely subjective and depends on IEM and personal tone preferences.

As we will see, this new model switcher may give the 1A a new and different personality unheard of as yet. I welcome the changes and actually don’t care to confuse the situation with attempts at quantitative analysts of the power of firmware. We basically know the case, capacitors and wire modified the 1A into the different 1Z. The only question here is how much was done to the stock 1A sound to delineate it farther from the 1Z.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #40,775 of 45,723
Yes, I can tell for certain that the 1A was intentionally tuned to be behind the 1Z in firmware, and as you said, with the progress of firmware modifications, they get closer from one another. I just want to state Out what I observed, firmware alone can not get the 1A to the 1Z level as many may have thought, ......it only Gets closer to it

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #40,776 of 45,723
I think we can all agree that the 1A and 1Z sound is a combination of physical electronic properties and firmware. The choice if you care to imagine that firmware continued to delineate the two players farther apart than what the mods do to the 1Z?

For many of us the new introduction of firmwares seemed to unlock the 1A hidden potential. If you choose to admire the changes is purely subjective and depends on IEM and personal tone preferences.

As we will see, this new model switcher may give the 1A a new and different personality unheard of as yet. I welcome the changes and actually don’t care to confuse the situation with attempts at quantitative analysts of the power of firmware. We basically know the case, capacitors and wire modified the 1A into the different 1Z. The only question here is how much was done to the stock 1A sound to delineate it farther from the 1Z.

What me, Duncan and aceedburn experienced is a combination of actual firmware modification + modification of other things in the device. Tuning mod-wise, we're using the stock sound.

It's difficult to explain but not really explaining it, but well, everyone can have their opinion in the meantime.

I hope I'll be able to make a modified UPG soon, so you can all test it.

Yes, I can tell for certain that the 1A was intentionally tuned to be behind the 1Z in firmware

Yes, this is more like it.

and as you said, with the progress of firmware modifications, they get closer from one another. I just want to state Out what I observed, firmware alone can not get the 1A to the 1Z level as many may have thought, ......it only Gets closer to it

Tuning mods are more or less nothing compared to this, and there are no actual tuning mods involved here.

There was the idea that the 1A sound will always be there, with tuning mods, and that is true. However, this method really deals with that.

I tested the model switcher, and it brings a change to the sound, but not like this, no.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #40,777 of 45,723
What me, Duncan and aceedburn experienced is a combination of actual firmware modification + modification of other things in the device. Tuning mod-wise, we're using the stock sound.

It's difficult to explain but not really explaining it, but well, everyone can have their opinion in the meantime.

I hope I'll be able to make a modified UPG soon, so you can all test it.

Actually doing a part change too with the 1A. That’s changes things.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #40,778 of 45,723
Yes, I can tell for certain that the 1A was intentionally tuned to be behind the 1Z in firmware, and as you said, with the progress of firmware modifications, they get closer from one another. I just want to state Out what I observed, firmware alone can not get the 1A to the 1Z level as many may have thought, ......it only Gets closer to it

I’ve always been a little skeptical of that. And in the end it truly does make you wonder. It would be like a car maker making two price brackets of cars and actively attempting to detune the performance of the cheaper car. And while many of us believe the 1A stock Sony tune was an attempt at satisfying a group; it’s hard to believe that Sony sold the 1A being actuality tuned to it’s fullest potential?

The public statement was the 1Z was one style of audiophile preferences and the 1A the other. The other reality that hit home with us was hearing audiophile headphone set-ups at meets. You could find both the neutral (more flat) response curves as well as go one station over and hear more warmth and color.

Thus the elephant in the room is if the 1Z color and basic attributes of tone make the 1A definitively better?

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #40,779 of 45,723
Thus the elephant in the room is if the 1Z color and basic attributes of tone make the 1A definitively better?

I can say that it's a big change, and that yes, it definitely sounds better. Whenever I write "big change" I'm wondering if I'm overreacting a bit, but then I think about it and I'm not overreacting at all.

Duncan and aceedburn could confirm themselves (at the moment).

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #40,780 of 45,723
I’ve always been a little skeptical of that. And in the end it truly does make you wonder. It would be like a car maker making two price brackets of cars and actively attempting to detune the performance of the cheaper car. And while many of us believe the 1A stock Sony tune was an attempt at satisfying a group; it’s hard to believe that Sony sold the 1A being actuality tuned to it’s fullest potential?

The public statement was the 1Z was one style of audiophile preferences and the 1A the other. The other reality that hit home with us was hearing audiophile headphone set-ups at meets. You could find both the neutral (more flat) response curves as well as go one station over and hear more warmth and color.

the change is huge. On the other hand, give this a thought. Forget about the 1z and the 1a having different hardware as we already know it does. So now this new change brings the exact original Sony tuning of 1z to the 1A using stock 3.02 firmware. So I believe that this new sound is in a category of its own. It’s not the1z sound neither is it the 1A sound. Follow me so far? Let’s call this new sound 1AZ for clarity. What if 1AZ sounds better on the 1A than it does on the 1Z? This is highly possible because we know there are hardware differences between the 1A and 1z. So what is 1AZ sounds the best on the 1A? Think about it! Upgraded components and wires aside, it doesn’t guarantee better fidelity.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #40,781 of 45,723
the change is huge. On the other hand, give this a thought. Forget about the 1z and the 1a having different hardware as we already know it does. So now this new change brings the exact original Sony tuning of 1z to the 1A using stock 3.02 firmware. So I believe that this new sound is in a category of its own. It’s not the1z sound neither is it the 1A sound. Follow me so far? Let’s call this new sound 1AZ for clarity. What if 1AZ sounds better on the 1A than it does on the 1Z? This is highly possible because we know there are hardware differences between the 1A and 1z. So what is 1AZ sounds the best on the 1A? Think about it! Upgraded components and wires aside, it doesn’t guarantee better fidelity.

The elephant in the room is this (tease) of a physical mod change. We are now at the level of high school girls smoking in the bathroom wondering if someone made love with a boy or not.

Best to not confuse people. It’s confusing enough.

Obviously a physical change and firmware would change the tone of the 1A. And if you don’t change the case, wiring or capacitors, you of course will wind up with a sound that’s the 1A sound, possibly improved and it’s own personality. I have no issue with that.

It’s just attempting to secretly introduce changes and not have full description and disclosure is a full waist of our time. Pictures of what change? What physical change to the 1A?

Hopefully high school is over here? :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #40,782 of 45,723
The elephant in the room is this (tease) of a physical mod change. We are now at the level of high school girls smoking in the bathroom wondering if someone made love with a boy or not.

Best to not confuse people. It’s confusing enough.

Obviously a physical change and firmware would change the tone of the 1A. And if you don’t change the case, wiring or capacitors, you of course will wind up with a sound that’s the 1A sound, possibly improved and it’s own personality. I have no issue with that.

It’s just attempting to secretly introduce changes and not have full description and disclosure is a full waist of our time. Pictures of what change. What physical change to the 1A.

Hopefully high school is over here. :)

If you are thinking about this last mod we're talking around here, it only consists of modified firmware (not tuning mod).

He was thinking that due to hardware differences, 1A with 1Z sound could maybe sound better than 1Z with 1Z sound.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #40,783 of 45,723
Oh, wrong understanding on my part. So this has to be on the down-low as you don’t have the bugs worked out. Makes sense. I’ll move along now. :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #40,784 of 45,723
If you are thinking about this last mod we're talking around here, it only consists of modified firmware (not tuning mod).

He was thinking that due to hardware differences, 1A with 1Z sound could maybe sound better than 1Z with 1Z sound.
Yes that’s exactly what I meant.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #40,785 of 45,723
Oh, wrong understanding on my part. So this has to be on the down-low as you don’t have the bugs worked out. Makes sense. I’ll move along now. :)

No worries. It's more on the down-low to protect the way this was done. Once I'll manage to create an UPG, will share it with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back