SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #40,786 of 45,723
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #40,787 of 45,723
No worries. It's more on the down-low to protect the way this was done. Once I'll manage to create an UPG, will share it with everyone.

Yes, my enthusiasm is overwhelming at times. :)

508302EF-3CAA-47AC-BD06-12D70453C985.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #40,788 of 45,723
Is any of all this going to be of relevance to the 1Z or is this purely a project aimed at trying to get the most out of the 1A ?

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #40,789 of 45,723
Is any of all this going to be of relevance to the 1Z or is this purely a project aimed at trying to get the most out of the 1A ?

My idea was to bring the 1Z sound to 1A. Not sure yet if anything can be done for 1Z using this, but I'd rather test it when we'll have UPGs.

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #40,790 of 45,723
Unfortunately I won't get into details about that. But I can assure you they are real.
Either the exe file or UPG file could be opened, or perhaps somehow the firmware could be extracted from the hardware?

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #40,791 of 45,723
People probably don’t think this was but if you had a 1Z in the early days and were running the firmware before 2.0 you had an amazingly dark signature. So I’m not sure people realize that the 1Z has continued to be modified by Sony software engineers to become both slightly more detailed and slightly brighter in stock form?

Then on the 1A what we have always admired was the aftermath firmwares to bring about the inherent warmth and detail of the 1Z.

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #40,792 of 45,723
in the early days and were running the firmware before 2.0 you had an amazingly dark signature

One next thing will be to try having the sound signature of older firmware versions to the 3.02 version.

Either the exe file or UPG file could be opened, or perhaps somehow the firmware could be extracted from the hardware?

I can tell you it's one of these, yes. :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #40,793 of 45,723
Yes. This is 100% stock 1Z sound on 1A. Nothing added or taken away. It’s not a tuning mod or firmware mod. Sounds sublime.
Bro. please provide us blindtest between stocked 1Z and 1A with 1Z mode switcher, also to list your listening equipment and song/music.

Best if there's measurement can justify it . Looking forward to appreciate your test review. :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #40,794 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #40,795 of 45,723
So what is the point of getting a WM1Z if the WM1A can be made to sound like it?

This will get attention to the corporation/manufacturer and he/she will be prosecuted. Don't say I never warn those who involve direct or indirect. Be cautious

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #40,796 of 45,723
For me, only having heard a pure 1Z a couple of years ago, and having no point of reference - all I will say is that there is a SQ difference between the two versions of the switchers - yet using a common firmware, so - whether this changes the 'stock sound' to let's say 1A+, or 1Z lite, I cannot say - either way, there is a tangible difference between the two ways to apply the switch.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #40,797 of 45,723
Walkman modders have the hardware, so what is there to worry about?

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #40,799 of 45,723
So what is the point of getting a WM1Z if the WM1A can be made to sound like it?

In theory it can’t happen. It’s like trying to make something that’s physically different the same with firmware. The sound of these things are a combination of hardware and firmware. Though in the last year our basic understanding of the full intentions of the 1A stock firmware has changed. Many of us simply feel the 1A has never been optimized by Sony. There is an unlocked potential for improvement. Some in this thread have modified their 1A player with both hardware and firmware modifications. Others have found the 1A become closer to the stock 1Z with a simple 30 second aftermarket firmware. But there are sound properties from the 1Z copper case. There are differences in tone due to the 1Z capacitors. The Kimber Kable used in the 1Z makes a change too.

But in the end the 1A has it’s own special sound normally. So if you do believe the stock firmware is holding the 1A back, the solution can be a choice of changing firmware? It can in reality be it’s own enjoyable and charismatic player. The reality we may be understanding though is that a larger section of the 1Z personally came from firmware? That’s to be determined when the masses get this update.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #40,800 of 45,723
In theory it can’t happen. It’s like trying to make something that’s physically different the same with firmware. The sound of these things are a combination of hardware and firmware. Though in the last year our basic understanding of the full intentions of the 1A stock firmware has changed. Many of us simply feel the 1A has never been optimized by Sony. There is an unlocked potential for improvement. Some in this thread have modified their 1A player with both hardware and firmware modifications. Others have found the 1A become closer to the stock 1Z with a simple 30 second aftermarket firmware. But there are sound properties from the 1Z copper case. There are differences in tone due to the 1Z capacitors. The Kimber Kable used in the 1Z makes a change too.

But in the end the 1A has it’s own special sound normally. So if you do believe the stock firmware is holding the 1A back, the solution can be a choice of changing firmware? It can in reality be it’s own enjoyable and charismatic player. The reality we may be understanding though is that a larger section of the 1Z personally came from firmware? That’s to be determined when the masses get this update.
This sums up what I was trying to ask. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back