SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #40,756 of 45,723
I cannot disagree... took me by surprise first thing this morning... I’m in the same test group as yourself and I have questioned if this is a separate tuning, and have been told it is pure stock...

exciting times!
I owned both units and yes it was rather obvious how much more organic the 1Z is over the 1a.
So nice that you guys can finally experience that without the 1z.

. Yes like i mentioned, the key words here are organic, warm and sheer analogue sounding
This is the main reason I sold off my desktop dacs and settled with the 1z.
Goodbye my yggy and Holo-Spring dacs.
They not nowhere as seductive or organic as the Sony.
I plan to do a comparison with some desktop dacs once I upgrade the 1z caps to Kaisie mod.
:)

So what is the point of getting a WM1Z if the WM1A can be made to sound like it?
If I could get a 1a with stock 1z sound, then it would be a lighter to carry unit. Then I would do hardware mods to further elevate and eliminate any hardware advantage. I doubt the resistor difference would matter, only the caps.

The solid block of hard copper not matter as much if you use both copper tape shielding and silver internal plate.

Essentially save money, and also have a lighter unit to carry.
That in itself is a huge advantage and motivation to actually sell my 1z and take up a 1A..

Only drawback I see that we forgetting is the built-in memory advantage.

But heck, I would keep 1z home and get a 1a for outside and not have to worry about carrying a 1Z around...

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #40,757 of 45,723
Traveling through Gunma prefecture in Japan in the express train gives a good opportunity to look for those little nuances you find as you slowly burn into your DAPs and IEMs more. Hope everyone had a good weekend and keep relaxing away with that good music.
FDEDB49B-9CDB-48E3-B1AB-75DEB83C3EB3.jpeg

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #40,759 of 45,723
I just use the stock wm1z sound on my wm1a with the model switcher and I already feel it amazing...
Very curious and excited to test this new version with a better sound again :)
Do we know why the version is even better (I mean technically)?

I do want to make the 1A have a 1Z transformation!

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #40,760 of 45,723
I do want to make the 1A have a 1Z transformation!
Yes. This new method is a full transformation. At least software and tuning wise. The earlier model changer only changes a few values. Not complete like this. Hence the very significant sound change.And the beat part of it all is you’re using stock 3.02 firmware, so your battery will last longer than if you use any tuning mods.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #40,761 of 45,723
Yes. This new method is a full transformation. At least software and tuning wise. The earlier model changer only changes a few values. Not complete like this. Hence the very significant sound change.And the beat part of it all is you’re using stock 3.02 firmware, so your battery will last longer than if you use any tuning mods.

You’ve tested it side by side a 1Z?

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #40,762 of 45,723
I owned both units and yes it was rather obvious how much more organic the 1Z is over the 1a.
So nice that you guys can finally experience that without the 1z.

This is the main reason I sold off my desktop dacs and settled with the 1z.
Goodbye my yggy and Holo-Spring dacs.
They not nowhere as seductive or organic as the Sony.
I plan to do a comparison with some desktop dacs once I upgrade the 1z caps to Kaisie mod.
:)

If I could get a 1a with stock 1z sound, then it would be a lighter to carry unit. Then I would do hardware mods to further elevate and eliminate any hardware advantage. I doubt the resistor difference would matter, only the caps.

The solid block of hard copper not matter as much if you use both copper tape shielding and silver internal plate.

Essentially save money, and also have a lighter unit to carry.
That in itself is a huge advantage and motivation to actually sell my 1z and take up a 1A..

Only drawback I see that we forgetting is the built-in memory advantage.

But heck, I would keep 1z home and get a 1a for outside and not have to worry about carrying a 1Z around...
I can second this. There is Zero way that a 1A can be made to sound like a 1Z just with firmware Alone. Just like I mentioned before, a 1Z is a modified 1A in both firmware and hardware wise. It is up to whether a person can hear the differences, but if you can observe the changes from firmware, then you can pretty much observe the differences between hardware as well.

I have experimented this before, to install a stock 1Z firmware on a 1A. There are improvements to be heard, yet, the 1Z will still sound better, period. The exact case where @ttt123 and @Maxx134 just mentioned as above

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #40,763 of 45,723
I have experimented this before, to install a stock 1Z firmware on a 1A.

The firmware is actually the same for both devices, so technically you can't install "the 1Z firmware". Also, installing a firmware alone will not actually be enough, due to the way the firmware works internally when choosing the 1A or 1Z sound.

I don't mean to be rude, but reading this thread, you were mentioning how the DMP-Z1 firmware is partially applied, or that 3.01 tunings are loading without needing to install stock 3.01 firmware due to someone else modifying the firmware, when actually it's because the stock 3.01 UPG was used instead of the DMP-Z1 1.02 one, so I'm not sure what to believe...

Due to how big the change is when compared to tuning mods, I would say that firmware alone is already 98-99% percent of the deal. Just my opinion, hopefully one day someone can test this side by side.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #40,764 of 45,723
Traveling through Gunma prefecture in Japan in the express train gives a good opportunity to look for those little nuances you find as you slowly burn into your DAPs and IEMs more. Hope everyone had a good weekend and keep relaxing away with that good music.
FDEDB49B-9CDB-48E3-B1AB-75DEB83C3EB3.jpeg

Hey, could you please pick me up a Musashino Label case for mewhile you're their when you get the chance? Lol. I didn't jump at the opportunity to buy one off of a Japanese electronic site and now I'm afraid I'll never get one.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #40,765 of 45,723
You’ve tested it side by side a 1Z?
No. I am talking about the sound difference compared to any other tuning mods or the old model switcher and this new method.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #40,766 of 45,723
The firmware is actually the same for both devices, so technically you can't install "the 1Z firmware". Also, installing a firmware alone will not actually be enough, due to the way the firmware works internally when choosing the 1A or 1Z sound.
So no matter what external or firmware changes are done, the internals will always make a difference in the end? I’m curious to test the 1A mod since I own both DAPs

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #40,767 of 45,723
So no matter what external or firmware changes are done, the internals will always make a difference in the end?

No, the firmware has a way of "deciding" which tuning to load basically. Internals could bring a change, but the change should be more on the subtle side of things.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #40,768 of 45,723
So no matter what external or firmware changes are done, the internals will always make a difference in the end? I’m curious to test the 1A mod since I own both DAPs

Unless you can’t tell the differences between cables. Just the internal cables alone from KimberKables is already an upgrade to the OFC from the 1A, period. Give both DAPs a try when the new firmware released after it testing phase, you will see.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #40,769 of 45,723
Unless you can’t tell the differences between cables. Just the internal cables alone from KimberKables is already an upgrade to the OFC from the 1A, period. Give both DAPs a try when the new firmware released after it testing phase, you will see.
There’s a new official firmware forthcoming?

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #40,770 of 45,723
Hey, could you please pick me up a Musashino Label case for mewhile you're their when you get the chance? Lol. I didn't jump at the opportunity to buy one off of a Japanese electronic site and now I'm afraid I'll never get one.

I would suggest black as the “natural” shows marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back