SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #37,846 of 45,723
Glad you've managed to find a player that you love, and saved a bunch of money in doing so! :)
One thing that I feel wasn't mentioned enough in this comparison is that the WM1Z is gold.
Am I shallow? One of the reasons I *had* to have it is the gold :sweat_smile:
I could probably be happy with the sound of a modded WM1A, but I know I'd always, in the back of my mind, be thinking wistfully about the gold WM1Z :joy:

Sony is only slightly dipped their toes in that game. AK players have every imaginable gimmick with coating... copper coated, stainless steel, gold version of sp2000.

And then there's advertised "different sound tuning" with blue, dark green of the same dap like sp1000m. On top of releasing a new model almost monthly.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #37,848 of 45,723
Sony is only slightly dipped their toes in that game. AK players have every imaginable gimmick with coating... copper coated, stainless steel, gold version of sp2000.

And then there's advertised "different sound tuning" with blue, dark green of the same dap like sp1000m. On top of releasing a new model almost monthly.
That is one thing to give Sony credit for, they find a winning formula and just stick with it...

Considering the 1Z was out at approx the same time as the AK380, let's think about how many times each player has been superceded...

May 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #37,849 of 45,723
I think there is some sound influence due to chassis being gold plated copper. I believe copper is very musical cable and pair that with gold dang magic stuff can happen!

Sony stock cables should be gold plated copper instead of harsh treble siblant silver plated copper....

Why you think they use gold soldering now on zx507 and dmp ! Cause gold sounds very good! Even more then good just what needed to drive that sound to higher joyful experiences.

But its costly....

May 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #37,850 of 45,723
OK, so I've got about 150 hours on the balanced now and it's beginning to settle-down - the bass is less thick and the mids better defined, more clarity. This on MDR-1ZR with stock cable.

And playing DSF which I note the DSP doesn't apply...?

The Shure SE846's sound fabulous - not at all overly heavy in the bass, but extremely balanced, I would say. They' re a little bit more uncomfortable than the 535's, I get the impression they're a bit bigger and deeper in the ear...?

Anyway, going in the right direction, I need the TA-ZH1ES (arriving next week, sitting in a German Amazon hub doing nothing...).

And then cables...

May 21, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #37,851 of 45,723
I think there is some sound influence due to chassis being gold plated copper. I believe copper is very musical cable and pair that with gold dang magic stuff can happen!

Sony stock cables should be gold plated copper instead of harsh treble siblant silver plated copper....

Why you think they use gold soldering now on zx507 and dmp ! Cause gold sounds very good! Even more then good just what needed to drive that sound to higher joyful experiences.

But its costly....

The copper chassis has very little impact on SQ, especially given the back is wide open. WM1Z certainly nice to the eye and in the hand. I don't doubt that there's some very minor benefit sonically, however the WM1Z benefits far more from it's internal cabling and differing capacitors and very likely it's tuning. What the copper chassis is potentially better at is blocking more external RF interference at certain angles due the increased density, however that could backfire in the x-ray machine :)

You also have to take into account sales & marketing, where market differentiation and pricing counts heavily. TBH unless you own both with similar hours it's a tough call. I maintain the WM1A represents fair value, while the WM1Z presents +/- 10% with a significantly higher price point and Sony want's to be seen to be competing at the highest level including price. If I had to make a call I'd say the real money of WM1A/Z is in the S-Master as that no doubt took significant time & money to develop. The longevity of the DAP's alone illustrates, nor does anything else have that certain magic in the presentation...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #37,853 of 45,723
2020-05-21 14.12.12.jpg

Now my WM1A sounds just about right with the HD-660S. Work rig end game.

May 21, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #37,854 of 45,723
The copper chassis has very little impact on SQ, especially given the back is wide open. WM1Z certainly nice to the eye and in the hand. I don't doubt that there's some minor benefit sonically, however the WM1Z benefits far more from it's internal cabling and differing capacitors and very likely it's tuning. What the copper chassis is potentially better at is blocking more external RF interference at certain angles due the increased density, however that could backfire in the x-ray machine :)

You also have to take into account sales & marketing, where market differentiation and pricing counts heavily. TBH unless you own both with similar hours it's a tough call. I maintain the WM1A represents fair value, while the WM1Z presents +/- 10% with a significantly higher price point and Sony want's to be seen to be competing at the highest level including price. If I had to make a call I'd say the real money of WM1A/Z is in the S-Master as that no doubt took significant time & money to develop. The longevity of the DAP's alone illustrates, nor does anything else have that certain magic in the presentation...

Q-6
I've never had issues with US airport security with my 1Z. But I also have TSA PreCheck which is more lenient than normal security.

May 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #37,855 of 45,723
2020-05-21 14.12.12.jpg

Now my WM1A sounds just about right with the HD-660S. Work rig end game.

Nice but that is one expensive charging station if that is all you use it for

May 21, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #37,857 of 45,723
It looks cool and maybe he'll also use the hi-res output one day :)

True. I also had the dock but knew I would never use the outputs so sold it and bought the much cheaper, smaller and simpler charging stand

33C8CB9A-2C40-43CB-A422-EF33B07DEF87.jpeg

May 21, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #37,858 of 45,723
I've never had issues with US airport security with my 1Z. But I also have TSA PreCheck which is more lenient than normal security.

Always international, so security is more stringent, nor are all countries equal. Just not worth the hassle IMO, as ultimately if they don't agree your either not flying or the DAP will be left behind...

Q-6

May 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #37,859 of 45,723
Nice but that is one expensive charging station if that is all you use it for
I actually appreciate the output on it and almost bought it if it wasn't because it doesn't have the optical or coaxial output. The dock comes in handy for people who have desktop setup.

May 21, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #37,860 of 45,723
I actually appreciate the output on it and almost bought it if it wasn't because it doesn't have the optical or coaxial output. The dock comes in handy for people who have desktop setup.

Yes but only if somebody actually intend to use the outputs, it is very expensive if only used for charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back