SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #37,831 of 45,723
Welp, sampled them again and both with or without the gain. 1A was just a tad bit louder and more clear while the 1Z had barely a hint of extra bass and sounded a little warmer yet mids and highs maintained the same quality. Otherwise, there isn’t a 200,000 yen difference in sound quality to make me say “Yea wow this is what sound is worth” what it’s practically the same quality for both. Both sound amazing and the 1A has better synergy once again with my IER-Z1R while the MDR-Z1R works better with the 1Z. Didn’t think I jumped to conclusions before and this only adds to what I think was the better decision my case. I can afford the 1Z no problem, but might as well keep the extra money for savings. Glad I found my halo player for a lot less and hope everyone is enjoying whatever they have now.

There is a difference between the two but it’s not super giant and maybe very hard to notice in a retail environment. But I own both and they start to become different. If that difference is worth $2000 it’s totally subjective. Also at times stuff is simply more noticeable, as we can’t always judge stuff well all the time. I was listening to ALAC of an album on the 1A then switched to FLAC of the same album on the 1Z, and was amazed. I always say there is like a 10% improvement gained by getting the 1Z, but at that point......I don’t know.....the difference was priceless!

Cheers.

May 21, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #37,832 of 45,723
There is a difference between the two but it’s not super giant and maybe very hard to notice in a retail environment. But I own both and they start to become different. If that difference is worth $2000 it’s totally subjective. Also at times stuff is simply more noticeable, as we can’t always judge stuff well all the time. I was listening to ALAC of an album on the 1A then switched to FLAC of the same album on the 1Z, and was amazed. I always say there is like a 10% improvement gained by getting the 1Z, but at that point......I don’t know.....the difference was priceless!

Cheers.
It was the second time I sampled them. First time was 40 minutes and this time was about 35 minutes. Sure more time could be used to listen to them, but it was enough for me and the files were also FLAC. This is a hobby that may never have an end in sight for some as the journey itself is more fun than the end point. I was lucky enough to listen to them and I appreciate that I'm able to afford this hobby. Everyone will always have different standards and there isn't a right way. Whatever works, but I'm happy that the player I got came with the extra accessories like the silicon case and the screen cover.

May 21, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #37,833 of 45,723
Almost same experience here. Owned 1A and, although being very impressed with its sound, I wondered what would be having “a bit more” so I went for the 1Z. Being very happy with the 1Z I considered the purchase of a DMP-Z1 (another “a bit more”, you know...). I sold the 1Z and went back to 1A while waiting the DMPZ1 to be available and to have a lighter DAP for use out of home. While enjoying again the 1A I missed A LOT the special tone qualities of the 1Z more and more so I went back again to the 1Z and I am extremely happy now.

BTW I have heard extensively the DMP-Z1 of a friend of mine and decided to stay with the 1Z...

As a final note I would like to stress about the burn in period with these DAPs. Its effect is REAL and profound. In fact with my first 1A I was not impressed with its sound and almost returned. I let the unit in repeat for almost two weeks without listening to it with some burn in tracks and were instantly amazed with its sound from that point so no “brain burn in” here. So my advice is to be sure to listen to a very used unit prior to take any judgement.

Yes, burn in is profound. It is such an issue I would guess a burned in 1A would sound better than a new out of box 1Z. It’s wild as I have a stock 1A about 700 hours and a stock 1Z with about 1200 hours. I always have said that the 1A is near the 1Z with the 1Z being maybe 10% better. But......I actually go back and forth between liking them. The 1Z is always better but at times the 1A is near and at times there is a huge difference between the two. Using Jupiter301-T1 on both along with both the IER-Z1R and Noble Audio Encore Universal. The thing is that the 1Z at times is spectacular and a giant distance into another realm? So I guess I’m focusing in on the quality of that difference. The 1Z soundstage is thicker and the sound is just more realistic and clear.

Actually I’m fairly confused as for the last month or two I’ve really been amazed at the 1A and especially how great the new firmware has improved it. But this week the 1Z is totally miles different?

May 21, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #37,834 of 45,723
It was the second time I sampled them. First time was 40 minutes and this time was about 35 minutes. Sure more time could be used to listen to them, but it was enough for me and the files were also FLAC. This is a hobby that may never have an end in sight for some as the journey itself is more fun than the end point. I was lucky enough to listen to them and I appreciate that I'm able to afford this hobby. Everyone will always have different standards and there isn't a right way. Whatever works, but I'm happy that the player I got came with the extra accessories like the silicon case and the screen cover.

If using stock firmware 3.01 the IER-Z1R is way better with the 1A. The 1Z is better in my opinion with stock 3.02. 3.02 just trims the bass a little. I loved the 1A and IER-Z1R and 3.01 combo and even wrote about it in reviews. Congratulations! You’ll love your player! They are amazing!

May 21, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #37,835 of 45,723
If using stock firmware 3.01 the IER-Z1R is way better with the 1A. The 1Z is better in my opinion with stock 3.02. 3.02 just trims the bass a little. I loved the 1A and IER-Z1R and 3.01 combo and even wrote about it in reviews. Congratulations! You’ll love your player! They are amazing!
Both players were actually scratched up and you can tell people sampled them a lot. Most likely, they have been on display for the last couple years so they are probably more used than expected.

May 21, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #37,836 of 45,723
Both players were actually scratched up and you can tell people sampled them a lot. Most likely, they have been on display for the last couple years so they are probably more used than expected.

It’s totally confusing, and having both is kind of like being in a relationship with them. Their personalities change from time to time, but obviously that’s just me. But a big part of course is finding firmware that you like. And burn-in is a huge issue where the players really don’t start to sound right till 100 hours minimum. Because the IER-Z1R is kind-of thick sounding it’s almost thickness overkill with 3.01 and the 1Z, where 3.01 and the 1A balance out the IER-Z1R in my opinion.

The problem of 3.01 and the 1Z and IER-Z1R is there is a loss in bass detail, where 3.02 is heaven!

May 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #37,840 of 45,723
I think it is best that you stop trying to judge others as I’m simply acknowledging what they mean. There’s also your quickness to draw conclusions of my personality when it is best that you get to know me, even tho that may not happen.
[/QUOT
Anyhow, update. I found this auction was practically brand new, about 30 hours used in and it includes a silicon case and screen protector. Mint, complete with box and all accessories. The price includes shipping and tax. So I think I found a really good price on it. Feeling really happy right now. Thank you for your feedback, everyone. This should complete my audio adventure collection. And here is the snapshot of my purchase of the 1A

5A432C90-3D7A-4A98-BBD7-5BF386720CED.jpeg
Is eriously recomend you buy NEW

May 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #37,841 of 45,723
Im happy in 3.00 MX3 region but is a question of synergy with my iem i think

Same. Too happy with 3.01 to bother.

Yes, burn in is profound. It is such an issue I would guess a burned in 1A would sound better than a new out of box 1Z. It’s wild as I have a stock 1A about 700 hours and a stock 1Z with about 1200 hours. I always have said that the 1A is near the 1Z with the 1Z being maybe 10% better. But......I actually go back and forth between liking them. The 1Z is always better but at times the 1A is near and at times there is a huge difference between the two. Using Jupiter301-T1 on both along with both the IER-Z1R and Noble Audio Encore Universal. The thing is that the 1Z at times is spectacular and a giant distance into another realm? So I guess I’m focusing in on the quality of that difference. The 1Z soundstage is thicker and the sound is just more realistic and clear.

Actually I’m fairly confused as for the last month or two I’ve really been amazed at the 1A and especially how great the new firmware has improved it. But this week the 1Z is totally miles different?

My own experience with burn in was less dramatic with DAPs. Mostly with deeper sub-bass + its increased volume. That's not to say the 1a produced any bad sounds out of the box, I thought it was even more analytical in the beginning. Overall my wm1a grew warmer over time, compared to where I could feel a digital after-taste. Not so much as an upgrade* but rather aging like fine wine. I think over time I would slowly lose the ability to tell, since I would forget how it sounded before.

May 21, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #37,842 of 45,723

My own experience with burn in was less dramatic with DAPs. Mostly with deeper sub-bass + its increased volume. That's not to say the 1a produced any bad sounds out of the box, I thought it was even more analytical in the beginning. Overall my wm1a grew warmer over time, compared to where I could feel a digital after-taste. Not so much as an upgrade* but rather aging like fine wine. I think over time I would slowly lose the ability to tell, since I would forget how it sounded before.

Back before 2.0 the 1Z was really really dark and fuzzy sounding. I remember the first 20 hours maybe? Then 2.0 came out and it was brighter. Before 2.0 and before burn-in was dramatic for me anyway.

But I also have to wonder how much is brain burn-in too? Brain burn-in is real also.

May 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #37,843 of 45,723

Iinteresting cause my experience with burn in the 1A it’s almost the opposite. Fresh out of the box the 1A sounded almost dull and boring without life in the upper mid and treble ranges lacking transparency, inner detail and openness compared to the 1A with two weeks of constant playing. To me the player improved with a more fresh, open detailed and expressive sound. Definitivetely I didn’t feel the sound as warmer after burn in...

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #37,844 of 45,723
Welp, sampled them again and both with or without the gain. 1A was just a tad bit louder and more clear while the 1Z had barely a hint of extra bass and sounded a little warmer yet mids and highs maintained the same quality. Otherwise, there isn’t a 200,000 yen difference in sound quality to make me say “Yea wow this is what sound is worth” what it’s practically the same quality for both. Both sound amazing and the 1A has better synergy once again with my IER-Z1R while the MDR-Z1R works better with the 1Z. Didn’t think I jumped to conclusions before and this only adds to what I think was the better decision my case. I can afford the 1Z no problem, but might as well keep the extra money for savings. Glad I found my halo player for a lot less and hope everyone is enjoying whatever they have now.
96270A4D-BF63-4C71-A1E3-B2C65BDC1B17.jpeg
20C4E472-722A-4F17-B321-75616F5B3A28.jpeg

Glad you've managed to find a player that you love, and saved a bunch of money in doing so! :)
One thing that I feel wasn't mentioned enough in this comparison is that the WM1Z is gold.
Am I shallow? One of the reasons I *had* to have it is the gold :sweat_smile:
I could probably be happy with the sound of a modded WM1A, but I know I'd always, in the back of my mind, be thinking wistfully about the gold WM1Z :joy:

May 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #37,845 of 45,723
Glad you've managed to find a player that you love, and saved a bunch of money in doing so! :)
One thing that I feel wasn't mentioned enough in this comparison is that the WM1Z is gold.
Am I shallow? One of the reasons I *had* to have it is the gold :sweat_smile:
I could probably be happy with the sound of a modded WM1A, but I know I'd always, in the back of my mind, be thinking wistfully about the gold WM1Z :joy:

Ah the ecstasy of gold :sweat_smile:
Tucco-w-gold.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back