SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #36,946 of 45,723
Also...

Feel free to give a try to...

JustAnother WM1Z Tuning (didn't have a better idea for the name :D)

You can find it here (click).

Compared to WM1Z², this one has an increased soundstage, with a more relaxed/distanced presentation, while having no loss in details.

Recommended region is J, but it may sound good/better with other regions as well, of course.

Thanks again to @Maxx134 for giving it a try!

As always, feedback would be appreciated.

I gave JustAnother WM1z Tuning a try.

Compared to Authum+ I can hear the relaxed presentation in the midrange, still detailed. It is the best so far for my very resolved audio system, where the 1Z servers as preamp.

In my tests, David Bowie's Joe the Lion (my favorite track to test the harshness of my single driver full range speakers) gave me a warm and relaxed, precise and detailed presentation. This track can be harsh and sterile on these kind of speakers.

Well done again @morgenstern09

May 2, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #36,947 of 45,723
To finance my WM1A purchase I'm considering selling my amp/dac - I was wondering how many people listen to music entirely using their WM1A and prefer that than PC with amp/dac?
Me ( wich amp do you have?) I have a Creative E5 and several creative cards i hate them compared to 1A used to praise them a lot

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #36,948 of 45,723
So, any ideas about WM1A to “weak” to drive Z1R (in ear).
And with Mod FW WM1A maybe better when pair with Z1R?
I try alot DAP but i feel power of Sony Dap is very low.
Maybe the very advanced user Redcarmoose can adress this one, since hes one here that have 1A 1Z and some desktop amps and the mentioned iem

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #36,949 of 45,723
You can try 1A/1Z with high gain and balance 4.4. I'm using 1A to pair with Z1R. I feel very good. If you need more power , you can tried cayin N8, Lotoo paw touch gold but i think you'll miss the sony signature :) . Enjoy
Z1R is perfect pair with hifi flagship DAP.
But when plug it into 1Z have alot of details. With 1A seems balanced and sweet mid.
So with those mods, with a simple think is it will change firmware from this region to that region, for reach difference tone, right?
It don’t have different about power and performance of DAC chip?
EAB7C375-E06D-48B0-95DB-C9527FB13F89.jpeg

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #36,950 of 45,723
But when plug it into 1Z have alot of details. With 1A seems balanced and sweet mid.
So with those mods, with a simple think is it will change firmware from this region to that region, for reach difference tone, right?
It shouldnt do wonders to power output but it can manage it better in my experience diferent Firmwares manage power output very diferently wich firmware are you actually on your 1A and what region I never heard 1A being less powerfull than 1Z... if someone here can help will be awesome... wich firmware and region are you on both... thats VERY important to compare

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #36,951 of 45,723
One of mod fw improve dynamic, bass deeper, warmer the other provide too much treb, more detail and good resolation. So you should try all of fw to find the fw suitable for you. About the power, those mod fw just increase a bit of power if you need to improve power , you should to mod both hardware and software. But i think wm1a + mod fw still easy to drive Z1r. Why not try it instead of asking these questions.

May 3, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #36,952 of 45,723
I gave JustAnother WM1z Tuning a try.

Compared to Authum+ I can hear the relaxed presentation in the midrange, still detailed. It is the best so far for my very resolved audio system, where the 1Z servers as preamp.

In my tests, David Bowie's Joe the Lion (my favorite track to test the harshness of my single driver full range speakers) gave me a warm and relaxed, precise and detailed presentation. This track can be harsh and sterile on these kind of speakers.

Well done again @morgenstern09

I Am still hooked on the WM1Z² mod. Like it alot, very analogue type of sound without a hint of solid state harshness. Exactly what I am after!

@morgenstern09
What are the differences between these 2 1Z specific mods and how did you tune these mods so well without owning a 1Z yourself?

May 3, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #36,953 of 45,723
To finance my WM1A purchase I'm considering selling my amp/dac - I was wondering how many people listen to music entirely using their WM1A and prefer that than PC with amp/dac?
WM1A has USB DAC feature

May 3, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #36,954 of 45,723
What are the differences between these 2 1Z specific mods

Well, I mentioned the main differences in the post for the new mod :D They are basically the same as how Blueoris mentioned.

how did you tune these mods so well without owning a 1Z yourself

I first started from the idea that 1Z has a warmer sound in comparison to the 1A. I then had it tested by someone who actually owns the device, and I tried adjusting it according to their feedback.

About the analog sounding, I would say that the players already have this sound, the mods are just amplifying that. :)

Good job Sony, once again!

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #36,955 of 45,723
4 years is quite a long time for a DAP though, especially considering some companies seem to release a new player every other month.
As long as it sounds and functions properly i see no urgency to update. I have a 6 year old VAIO laptop and still rocks , fast

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #36,956 of 45,723
So I have bought a couple of Hi-res musoc from qobuz, 2 albums , one single cd and a 4 disc (album) set. The 4 disc set all are fake hi-res flac. I always open my purchases roghtaway with spek, to analyze them.

I already filed a PayPal dispute. Some one in a hifi audio whatsapp group told me that my dispute won't be proceeding anyfirther as it was a digital download and not a physical medium like a cd. That it does not apply to file "Got the product but not as advertised" claim. That I am only risking my self that qobuz will be blocking my account. Is that true? I just want my money back because in a week also got another bad flac from qobuz.. two times

May 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #36,957 of 45,723

Ooh that r2r black is so sexy, what kind of perception feel and emotion do you feel/hear with r2r black vs wm1z? I have cayin n6ii amp t01 on mind but I guess this dac used in the r2k black is way better?

May 3, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #36,958 of 45,723
So I have bought a couple of Hi-res musoc from qobuz, 2 albums , one single cd and a 4 disc (album) set. The 4 disc set all are fake hi-res flac. I always open my purchases roghtaway with spek, to analyze them.

I already filed a PayPal dispute. Some one in a hifi audio whatsapp group told me that my dispute won't be proceeding anyfirther as it was a digital download and not a physical medium like a cd. That it does not apply to file "Got the product but not as advertised" claim. That I am only risking my self that qobuz will be blocking my account. Is that true? I just want my money back because in a week also got another bad flac from qobuz.. two times

I would suggest that you first write to Qobuz and see what they say.

PayPal might tell you to do that first, as well.

May 3, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #36,960 of 45,723
50 days of lockdown , my survival pack starts with WM1A and Zeus XR (and ends with Internet and some good hash)

times like these , these audio 'purchases' are tools to keep our mental sanity

and wm1a is one hell of a DAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back