SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #36,917 of 45,723
Pleas tell me why Upgrade a mod FW can effect to sound of WM1A?
I think it based from hardware.
And what exactly you changed in those fw?
I tested on my WM1A + IER Z1R but nothing big changes?
I can explain it to you but you will be better haring it... some of us can hear very sublte changes in Region and FW some like the user Candlejack that cant discriminate sound diferences between an Iphone and a ZX300 so its very up to what you can hear and how trained is your hearing and how good your iem can depicte the diferencies accurately. I been listening to walkmans for now 17 years so i can tell my ear has acustomed to their analogue singnature to the point that when I heard some TOTL FIIO DAP It sounded plain digital and very wide but exagerated here you can get that signature but with a more analog feeling... 1A on 3.00 its very digital and very acurate while in 2.00 and 3.02 its very warm and not that neutral also regions very well explained here in previous posts has effects on fw to the point i can hear it very clearly on my ZX100 wich has not the power nor resolution of 1A... so feel free to test and share your own experience with us! (this are not my claims many users can actually hear it very well)

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #36,920 of 45,723
I can explain it to you but you will be better haring it... some of us can hear very tamed changes in Region and FW some like the user Candlejack that cant discriminate sound diferences between an Iphone and a ZX300 so its very up to what you can hear and how trained is your hearing and how good your iem can depicte the diferencies accurately. I been listening to walkmans for now 17 years so i can tell my ear has acustomed to their analogue singnature to the point that when I heard some TOTL FIIO DAP It sounded plain digital and very wide but exagerated here you can get that signature but with a more analog feeling... 1A on 3.00 its very digital and very acurate while in 2.00 and 3.02 its very warm and not that neutral also regions very well explained here in previous posts has effects on fw to the point i can hear it very clearly on my ZX100 wich has not the power nor resolution of 1A... so feel free to test and share your own experience with us! (this are not my claims many users can actually hear it very well)

Agree I have Fiio M11 Pro, Sony WM1A & ZX300, if reaching for a DAP it will always be the WM1A as for me it's all about the music...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #36,921 of 45,723
It indeed seems to have an effect, however I'm still not sure about the exact circumstances in which this can occurr.

Just to be on the safe side, I added a recommendation to all of my posts that if you had any tunings applied before, to flash stock 3.02 first (also added a download link to the stock 3.02).

Thinking about what RobertP was also saying, I remember a weird situation when I applied a certain tuning but it didn't sound as good as I remembered. So, as debugging mode was turned on in my head for a moment, I applied the same tuning again, and then it sounded as I remembered.

The thing that the 1.02 UPG is not flashed (not even partially, this just can't work anyway, as this is not how the upgrade process works) is pretty much a fact, and I still stand by it. The thing that something can stick around between applying different tunings makes more sense.

Because the WM1A/WM1Z seems to use an FPGA that does some processing to the sound in some way.

Proof of that is how using different regions can slightly alter the sound signature.

You can find instructions on how to change your region/destination, on this page (click).

The ones I posted are not basically firmware mods, we're just calling different tunings in different ways, tunings that are already inside the firmware, hence how it can sound slightly different when changing the region/destination.

Also, not everyone listens to sounds in the same way, I even noticed this with friends in real life. Someone who was using some Bose QC35 II found no difference between those and some Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro, which had a very clear/precise sound in all ranges, with a clearly expanded soundstage.

Some people will listen to the sound as a whole, while some people seem to focus more on lyrics, for example. For them, lyrics have a bigger emotional impact than the song as a whole. I knew people who couldn't listen to music that had no lyrics, and for me it makes no sense, as lyrics are not that important for me. But I learned to accept it, as each one of us are different.
Thanks for your kindly support. One more question: what fw region i should try?
My 1A has U region (universe). What better between U or J version of regions?

May 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #36,922 of 45,723
Agree I have Fiio M11 Pro, Sony WM1A & ZX300, if reaching for a DAP it will always be the WM1A as for me it's all about the music...

Q-6
I can comment on this couse at the time I was about to buy my 1A i asked the seller of an important commerce wich had a that time tons of gear and was letting me hear the FIIO what he thought about Sony WM1A he told me "its nothing special" the FIIO its better..... since I has heard both I took the right hoice the FIIO its a awesome player but totally diferent than my current 1A

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #36,923 of 45,723
I can also help you with that send you something as we speak lol wellcome here fell free to share impresion some user have more Idea about the hardware inside.. be shure to know wich region you are before anything!!!

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #36,924 of 45,723

Personally, I mostly used the J region, as I find it the most balanced of all.

By the way, there are regions/destinations, and variants. For example, the U region is not the same thing as the Universal variant. In the Universal variant there are also the MX/MX3/U2/U3/CA/E/E2/etc. regions.

U/U2/U3 should be for US, while CA is for Canada, for example, and MX/MX3 for Mexico/Latin America.

So your device is indeed an Universal variant in this case. But if your region would be CEV, for example, which is for Eastern Europe, then the variant would be European.

A note here is that when downloading tunings, you should always match your factory variant. Your device will always be Universal, even if you'll change the region/destination to J, for example.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #36,926 of 45,723
I can comment on this couse at the time I was about to buy my 1A i asked the seller of an important commerce wich had a that time tons of gear and was letting me hear the FIIO what he thought about Sony WM1A he told me nothing special the FIIO its better since I has heard both I took the right hoice the FIIO its a awesome player but totally diferent than my current 1A

M11 Pro is a very pure and clear DAP especially with THX, WM1A is far more organic and natural. To me the Sony represents live music, not dead, sterile & pre-packaged. I can feel the emotion with Sony, M11 Pro is just another digital transport...

Q-6

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #36,928 of 45,723
May 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #36,929 of 45,723
I can comment on this couse at the time I was about to buy my 1A i asked the seller of an important commerce wich had a that time tons of gear and was letting me hear the FIIO what he thought about Sony WM1A he told me "its nothing special" the FIIO its better..... since I has heard both I took the right hoice the FIIO its a awesome player but totally diferent than my current 1A
I compared the sony 1a to the ibasso & the fiio, as I was first ones to buy.
I sold the fiio right away and then upgrade to a 1z.

The fiio don't come close to the 1a, but it does have all the resolution of the ibass and Sony..

Its just that BOTH ibasso & Fiio are simply not as real in presentation and timbre/tonality.
Just the resolution is there, presented artificially...

Think solid state vs organic .

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #36,930 of 45,723
My travel rig the last year and increasingly also home rig with the lovely Dignis travel case

62D251E7-E807-4289-9705-0DE8CC6E816E.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back