SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #36,406 of 45,723
I was just referring to people that get their 1A, 1Z and ZX300 modded with different caps, cables etc.. In this thread, those DAPs are considered to be in "higher tiers".

Also the 1Z can be considered Sony’s attempt at modding the 1A to a higher tier

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #36,408 of 45,723
Hmm. What kind of sound can we expect from this? Any sound summary?
Only for WM1A at the moment. WM1Z need completely different fw to sound best.

My 1A wasn't as resolved compare to my 1Z. After applied new sound tune, it seem 1A maybe even more resolved than 1Z in some areas. At the same time, I want it to be good for long listening.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #36,409 of 45,723
On my stock 1Z Winter on region E(J is slightly tamer/recessed highs) sounds fantastic, best for me out of the 4 seasons though each of them, incl Autumn+, got something nice on offer. Very musical+analogue! Prefer this now over Solis or stock.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #36,410 of 45,723
SO wich stock FW is the chosen for autumn+ and wich preferable Region J right?

I already mentioned in the main post for Autumn+ that it was tuned with 3.02 and J region.

This also applies for the other Seasons.

Can we apply this tuned seasons to dmp 1.01 for example? i think not... since it will overwrite the custom tunings right?

The tuning for Autumn+ already started from the idea of DMP-Z1 (especially the idea that the soundstage can be improved), so there would be no point chasing something that's already here. :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #36,412 of 45,723
I don’t see why anyone would want to be on an older firmware anyway apart from the different tuning, you are losing out on all the new features and most importantly bug fixes and stability. I was on 3.01 for a long time and once I updated to 3.02 I never turned back. The system was more stable, databases built way faster and most importantly the Bluetooth audio worked flawlessly. On 3.01 there were some inconsistent issues that totally went away with 3.02. And now with autumn+ and 3.02, it’s bliss.

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #36,413 of 45,723
Trying WM20 Autumn+ on WM1Z_J (Romi_BG mod), does not work for my setup. Feels unbalanced, with a bass/mid emphasis which feels forced, and makes vocals/stage unnatural, and not immersive. I hasten to add that I believe this is just wrong synergy for my particular hardware, and I am probably in a minority, where this tuning does not work for me.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #36,414 of 45,723
Trying WM20 Autumn+ on WM1Z_J (Romi_BG mod), does not work for my setup. Feels unbalanced, with a bass/mid emphasis which feels forced, and makes vocals/stage unnatural, and not immersive. I hasten to add that I believe this is just wrong synergy for my particular hardware, and I am probably in a minority, where this tuning does not work for me.

Yep, especially that the tuning was achieved on a stock 1A (J region, 3.02 firmware).

Feel free to give a try to the Seasons, maybe one of them will sound right/better.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #36,415 of 45,723
Did someone say the Mac versions of Autumn+ (specifically, the ones for WM1Z and ZX300) had an error and were not working?
Just want to check before I try to use them!

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #36,416 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 and @aceedburn thank you so much for yet another wonderful set of fw mods :D. Currently at autumn+ on MX3 3.01. When i tried this combo last night i wasn't that impressed. Thought the vocals sounded too forced (splashy at times) so i rolled back to my previous combo (Solis 3.01 on E2). A day passed and was curious about the seasons again so i changed the cable on my atlas to stock and changed the tips to spiral dots and voila! Magic. Sounded very refreshing, musical, soundstage is not what i would call the widest but because of the added sparkle made things surreal. A few songs later when andrea bocelli came up and subconsciously i started singing lol! Same thing happened to Michael Buble's La vie en rose! The fw squeezes resolution at a very impressive feat but its never rough! 20200417_181353.jpg20200417_181410.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #36,417 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 and @aceedburn thank you so much for yet another wonderful set of fw mods :D. Currently at autumn+ on MX3 3.01. When i tried this combo last night i wasn't that impressed. Thought the vocals sounded too forced (splashy at times) so i rolled back to my previous combo (Solis 3.01 on E2). A day passed and was curious about the seasons again so i changed the cable on my atlas to stock and changed the tips to spiral dots and voila! Magic. Sounded very refreshing, musical, soundstage is not what i would call the widest but because of the added sparkle made things surreal. A few songs later when andrea bocelli came up and subconsciously i started singing lol! Same thing happened to Michael Buble's La vie en rose! The fw squeezes resolution at a very impressive feat but its never rough!

Nice! If you have the WM1A, I recommend giving a try to 3.02 with J region :)

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #36,418 of 45,723
I suggest trying Summer of which I enjoy much with my stock 1Z.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #36,420 of 45,723
Modding is anyway just a geeky hobby that has nothing to do with listening to music or using a phone in case of Android phone modding.
I always wonder why the advanced users think they are more intelligent or inventive then the big corporations with 100s of engineers and millinions of R&D funds. The SW config/development decisions are made and reviewed for a reason and if it's not a bug then why try to break it? How can you be sure that without having access to the sources of the firmware there is a way to really improve (not just change) the FW for all possible IEM/headphones/music combinations?

And yes, burn-in makes everything sound better, earth is flat and every source and headphone combination sounds better with 2k$ cable.
2 out of 3 ain't bad! (quote: Meat Loaf!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back