SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #35,776 of 45,723
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #35,777 of 45,723
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #35,780 of 45,723
I am very happy to see a new very interesting topic on this thread and what I am even more happy with is we finally got on something new and very positive behavior everyone is sharing good impressions and thoughts!

I am also super content with this as I am the one who started the new subject :wink: :smirk: :upside_down: :gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

Yes the wav format ;p

So here what I believe in and my findings + personal testings....

No matter what music you are listening to it has to be bit perfect and as direct source as much possible!

Now here is the thing, wav is the most used pcm format when recording music or mastering, yes you can have different type of resolution. 16,24,32 and 44.1 to 192 khz...
They all do sound different! Higher the resolution better the quality. Highest bit rate better tge quality. Hence same 16/44 with 1 having 800 bitrate vs 1411 will sound inferior! Yes I hear it no jokes here.

I also believe that who ever is doing downsampling or upsampling hes screwing the quality right away. Yes it will have a degradation due to compression or conversion!
So consider this!
If the original file was 24/96 wav and you downsampl it to flac 16/44 and then upsampl the flac back to wav 24/96. Well you lost gp much information and all those steps have messed the sound quality to much. It will not sound as original wav !!!

You can use the original wav to convert to any format you like but there will closes in information! And there is absolutely no point upsampling it to dsd or 32/192! You win 0 information!! And just empry bites of data taking space.

So the reason why there is so much disagreement and different opinions is because people are doing it the wrong way!
Wrong beliefs and information.

In what ever your wav was recorded at originally then that the only best it can output. Upsampling wins nothing and downsampling you lose data...

Mastering studios and recording rooms do also affect sound.
Microphones affect sound.

I know wav are the industry's standarts! So everything is done in wav. More bit rates allow the artist to work with more information and efficiency!

Hell not even all artists understand what is a good quality music !!! So they record their music poorly... or lack of resources $$$

Dsd is a whole different story and use.

Ussualy dsd is an extremely high resolution format even beyond wav. But to benefit from a dsd music.
The only way is to have a studio record live performances in enclosed studios with highest end possible equipment ( 100 + 100 of thousands of $$$ in value ) and all this recorded live into original dsd format!
Be it 64 128 or even higher .

This only way how benefit from a real Dsd format the only way!

Anything upsampled from wav to dsd is false dsd you win nothing!

Hope that helps and puts a good informative perspective on music formats.

Its of course MY HUGE 2 cents opinion LoL

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #35,781 of 45,723
I am very happy to see a new very interesting topic on this thread and what I am even more happy with is we finally got on something new and very positive behavior everyone is sharing good impressions and thoughts!

I am also super content with this as I am the one who started the new subject :wink: :smirk: :upside_down: :gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

Yes the wav format ;p

No matter what music you are listening to it has to be bit perfect and as direct source as much possible!

Now here is the thing, wav is the most used pcm format when recording music or mastering, yes you can have different type of resolution. 16,24,32 and 44.1 to 192 khz...
They all do sound different! Higher the resolution better the quality. Highest bit rate better tge quality. Hence same 16/44 with 1 having 800 bitrate vs 1411 will sound inferior! Yes I hear it no jokes here.

I also believe that who ever is doing downsampling or upsampling hes screwing the quality right away. Yes it will have a degradation due to compression or conversion!
So consider this!
If the original file was 24/96 wav and you downsampl it to flac 16/44 and then upsampl the flac back to wav 24/96. Well you lost gp much information and all those steps have messed the sound quality to much. It will not sound as original wav !!!

You can use the original wav to convert to any format you like but there will closes in information! And there is absolutely no point upsampling it to dsd or 32/192! You win 0 information!! And just empry bites of data taking space.

So the reason why there is so much disagreement and different opinions is because people are doing it the wrong way!

In what ever your wav was recorded at originally then that the only best it can output. Upsampling wins nothing and downsampling you lose data...

I know wav are the industry's standarts! So everything is done in wav. More bit rates allow the artist to work with more information and efficiency!

Hell not even all artists understand what is a good quality music !!! So they record their music poorly... or lack of resources $$$

Ussualy dsd is an extremely high resolution format even beyond wav. But to benefit from a dsd music.
The only way is to have a studio record live performances in enclosed studios with highest end possible equipment ( 100 + 100 of thousands of $$$ in value ) and all this recorded live into original dsd format!

This, I think is your longest post. Totally agree.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #35,782 of 45,723

Yes the wav format ;p

So consider this!

All starts with the mastering, how much down sampling one accepts is a matter of personal preference and storage capacity on portable solutions. Up sampling mostly a waste of time as reliant yet another algorithm. Personally for me flac is great for a portable as offers the best of both worlds, as ever it's a game of diminishing returns, and there's always a bigger microSD card around the corner :darthsmile:

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #35,783 of 45,723
Sense of humour required - Lindemann - Skills in Pills
1586200750854.png

Overall prefer Rammstein, but I like this one just for fun...

Q-6

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #35,785 of 45,723
Sense of humour required - Lindemann - Skills in Pills
1586200750854.png
Overall prefer Rammstein, but I like this one just for fun...

Q-6
In that case you will Love the new Lindemann album (it’s available on Qobuz and even hires)

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #35,786 of 45,723
All starts with the mastering, how much down sampling one accepts is a matter of personal preference and storage capacity on portable solutions. Up sampling mostly a waste of time as reliant yet another algorithm. Personally for me flac is great for a portable as offers the best of both worlds, as ever it's a game of diminishing returns, and there's always a bigger microSD card around the corner :darthsmile:

Q-6

Stop using those terms as they meaningless.

Diminishing returns
Snake oil
Best gear ever.
Etc etc

It doesn't determine anything when you say that actually...

Its the audiophile choice if he wants to sacrifice quality for space.
And what ever file format he wants to use. Its your freedom.

But personally we are all here to seek all best maximum possible sound quality experiences and feelings.

To me its clear I invested huge load of $ and research to achieve the best of the best in portable.

Wm1z + Romi
Pw1960 4wires
Tia Fourte Noir
And wav's

Is seriously enormous sound quality so high that not even a desktop will overcome!

I will never from now on compromise my sound quality for space.
!!!!!!!!

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #35,787 of 45,723
i am gonna leave another great Psybient album here , hope you guys keep your cool as the quarantine days go by

@nc8000 probably likes/owns this (as he sent me some solar fields album sometime ago)

@bana @Queen6 see what you think

i am gonna leave another great Psybient album here , hope you guys keep your cool as the quarantine days go by

@nc8000 probably likes/owns this (as he sent me some solar fields album sometime ago)

@bana @Queen6 see what you think

Damm, I'm trying to work here and you have me day dreaming. Not good!!

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #35,788 of 45,723
In that case you will Love the new Lindemann album (it’s available on Qobuz and even hires)

Yep
1586201395043.png

Mastering is far better, Skills in Pills way too much loudness on my rendition

Q-6

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #35,789 of 45,723
Need I also to mention how the wav's transformed my Fourte Noir!?

Its now extremely resolving, treble harshness agression completely disappeared!
Bass is soo detailed, meticulously nuanced! So deep just outstanding!

They sound like the purest nectar you can drink on earth. Just insane spot on !

Nothing alike when played from spotify via ldac from cell to 1z!

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #35,790 of 45,723
I personally prefer bit-perfect, but it doesn't have to be that for everyone.

All 16/44.1 PCM recordings are exactly 44100 * 16 * 2 bps, i.e. 1,411.2 kbps. 800 kbps is not the actual playback bit rate, as already explained by others, and if it represents the symbolic bit rate of a lossless compressed file, then it will sound the same, unless your player is crap.

So consider this!
True, no real information can be generated by simply converting formats.

Not necessarily. If your DAC is better at dealing with DSD than PCM (or vice-versa), there might be a point to converting formats before sending data to the DAC. Not sure if this is a realistic case, though.

I think the disagreement is because people don't read the specs and make up their own story. But I have to say, I was really intrigued by the user who said he had a 90% success rate when blind testing WAV vs FLAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back