SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #35,446 of 45,723
Rookie question:

I just received my wm1a (thx Amazon), and loaded it up with a several albums, flac quality or better.

I first tried my Senn660's , and found the tonality and clarity quite good (considering the WM hasn't broken in at all, however, I found the volume fairly quiet and lacking punch. I suppose that's due to the fact the 660s have a resistance of 150 ohms? This was both SE and balanced, high gain and not.

I then tried my old Etymotic 4p, and they were easier to drive but lack bottom end (which is why as wonderful clean as they are, they sit in the back of my drawer).

I got the WM1A to replace my mojo (lost! damnit) streaming hi-def from my iphone tidal. The mojo could drive the 660's much easier than the 1A. Is this normal? I mean I could make my ears bleed if I wanted to.

I've been considering something like the Andromeda or Solaris (B stock sale!) balanced, any feedback on either of these IEM's with the 1A? Will they be easier to drive and provide good (but not overpowering) bass?

I like the 1A a lot, the UI is spartan (which I like, I hate the android UI'd devices). The build quality and design are fantastic. I don't listen to music that loud all the time, but once in a while, I'd like to get thumped on EDM tracks, and I'm hoping I can find a pairing that'll do this.

Thanks

You would probably want to check out Dynamic Drivers IEM.
Like the Campfire ones that someone mentioned or from Acoustune will be good too.

You might want to put it on High Gain or Test out different Region or firmwares if you want.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #35,447 of 45,723
[...] that’s another reason why I don’t feel like disclosing the coding details of FW. It’s simply hideous to the majority [...]
I for one would be very interested to hear about the firmware modifications, from a sw engineering perspective. Please share the details in a dedicated thread or blog post, or whatever you prefer and provide a link here. Thanks a lot!
So let’s be tolerant to each parties. What Whitigir shared with us is treasures not to be found anywhere else. But if u find it too hardcore, pls just mute it for a while.
If enough people want to mute you, then you're speaking in the wrong place.

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #35,448 of 45,723
I for one would be very interested to hear about the firmware modifications, from a sw engineering perspective. Please share the details in a dedicated thread or blog post, or whatever you prefer and provide a link here. Thanks a lot!

With this standard I think there will be way more people want to mute you indeed.:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #35,449 of 45,723
How could u define "enough" and what's right or wrong? I think it's all related to our device, just to different extent / scopes

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #35,451 of 45,723
With this standard I think there will be even more people want to mute you indeed.:deadhorse:
That might be true, but at least I could take a hint. :wink:

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #35,452 of 45,723
How could u define "enough" and what's right or wrong? I think it's all related to our device, just to different extent / scopes
It was just a thought, dude. The significant part of the post was where I was asking you to please share your process regarding the custom firmware.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #35,453 of 45,723
Better to not feed wild trolls... guy probably has some unresolved issues, better to just block and forget.
I'm not the one going around asking people to mute other people. If you want to mute all opposing ideas and just have a 5-way conversation with your buddies in an echo chamber, you can do us all a favor and just start a PM convo.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #35,454 of 45,723
Intermittent connection can be due to oxide build up. Caig Deoxit is great for that, and I highly recommend it. Works wonders on old connectors.
3B7C6769-F20A-431E-A2D2-C5DC0B0B1913.jpeg

8A10113B-5976-4D88-BAB8-FCBD8C77AFCA.jpeg

Are these u mentioned? Which one should i use? Cheers!

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #35,455 of 45,723
Both are used. First Deoxit to clean and then Gold to preserve and prevent further oxidation. There are other dispensers: bottles and pens are easy to use.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #35,456 of 45,723

Are these u mentioned? Which one should i use? Cheers!
There are 2 basic ones, D100L Red, and G100L Gold. They are both used as both a cleaner & protector, with the gold stated as for gold plated connectors.
The red is a more basic general purpose cleaner/protector. I use either one. For highly oxidized surfaces, the red is recommended.
I have a bottle of each.

It looks like the red is in short supply, so you may only be able to get the gold, which is fine also. I got by with just a gold for many years, and there is now still 1/3 left in the bottle.
Edit: Use very sparingly. A light dab, and rubbed in with a Q-tip or micro fibre cloth, or tissue. For female jack contacts, a light dab on the male jack, and insert/rotate to apply onto the female jack contact surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-G100L-Brush-Applicator-7-4mL/dp/B01FFV8MEO
1585658009956.png

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-Laboratories-D100L-2DB-Electric-Cleaner/dp/B0002BBVN2
(274 ratings, 5 star average)

1585658131059.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #35,458 of 45,723
There are 2 basic ones, D100L Red, and G100L Gold. They are both used as both a cleaner & protector, with the gold stated as for gold plated connectors.
The red is a more basic general purpose cleaner/protector. I use either one. For highly oxidized surfaces, the red is recommended.
I have a bottle of each.

It looks like the red is in short supply, so you may only be able to get the gold, which is fine also. I got by with just a gold for many years, and there is now still 1/3 left in the bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-G100L-Brush-Applicator-7-4mL/dp/B01FFV8MEO

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-Laboratories-D100L-2DB-Electric-Cleaner/dp/B0002BBVN2
(274 ratings, 5 star average)

I’ve been using both for many years

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #35,459 of 45,723
There’s just some magical warmth about my stock WM1A on region J with stock 3.02 that just mesmerises me especially with vocal jazz albums. Everything just feels right. Bass digs deep, vocals are full yet airy and highs are silky smooth. Been listening to this for 2 days now after monkeying around with all the different firmwares and regions the past 2-3 weeks. I might change things around again if I feel adventurous but at the moment the above combination is perfect for me. The Walkman now sounds how I like it to sound with my iems and headphones. The synergy is right with my gear and my ears and mind are very happy and that’s what matters at the end of it all. Stay safe folks!

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #35,460 of 45,723
There’s just some magical warmth about my stock WM1A on region J with stock 3.02 that just mesmerises me especially with vocal jazz albums. Everything just feels right. Bass digs deep, vocals are full yet airy and highs are silky smooth. Been listening to this for 2 days now after monkeying around with all the different firmwares and regions the past 2-3 weeks. I might change things around again if I feel adventurous but at the moment the above combination is perfect for me. The Walkman now sounds how I like it to sound with my iems and headphones. The synergy is right with my gear and my ears and mind are very happy and that’s what matters at the end of it all. Stay safe folks!

Feeling the same as keep coming back to 3.02 & J, only I flipped to high gain on both balanced & SE, as to my ears has more punch at same volume levels, could just be in my head mind.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back