SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #32,146 of 45,723
Well i find Noble Khan or Shure KSE to be more detailed. Don't get me wrong, the IER-Z1R are no slouch either and in my opinion they are not even trying to be the most resolving. They are quite bright but warm at the same time with punchy and deep bass and with added quite a lot of subbas.They are neither too fast neither too slow. Shapes that are created ale bolder and heavier and this is where Z1R loose some of the absolute detail. IEMs that have thinner notes give more micro details and textures. Midrange in Z1R is very good but I would like it to be closer. The thing that surprised me the most ia the treble. It has an amazing quality. Dynamic tweeter by sony is better than electrostatic driver by Sonion. Shure KSE is still the king though when it comes to treble.

I agree on the treble FWIW. Also on the Shure. Hearing violins on that thing brought tears of joy to my eyes, and I'd almost bought it, but the combination of price and lack of practicability killed it for me in the end.
The IER-Z1R's treble is probably second best of the IEM's I've heard, however, and not too far away from the KSE's.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #32,147 of 45,723
Seems like doing a full discharge (until LOW BATTERY icon appears on screen and the device tirns it self off) amd a full charge revived the battery, i am using IER-Z1R and yesterday listen n to many hi-res albums, first bar dropped right now

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #32,148 of 45,723
I agree on the treble FWIW. Also on the Shure. Hearing violins on that thing brought tears of joy to my eyes, and I'd almost bought it, but the combination of price and lack of practicability killed it for me in the end.
The IER-Z1R's treble is probably second best of the IEM's I've heard, however, and not too far away from the KSE's.

I've heard iems with plenar drivers, piezoelectric and electrostatic tweeters and indeed treble from IER-Z1R is the best. Close second only to Shure full range electrostatic. Very impressive feat and unexpected that this comes from dynamic driver.

I own both at the moment :wink:

20200221_164758~01.jpg
20200221_164815~01.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #32,149 of 45,723
I don't use DSEE at all. Well, I don't have MP3 files on the WM1A anyway. But some of these inputs make sense, I will try to put some MP3 files and try DSEE.

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #32,150 of 45,723
I don't use DSEE at all. Well, I don't have MP3 files on the WM1A anyway. But some of these inputs make sense, I will try to put some MP3 files and try DSEE.
Try coding these MP3 at bitrates of 192kbps or lower

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #32,151 of 45,723
DSEE HX function works for compressed audio sources and PCM audio sources with lossless compression on files that have a sampling frequency of 48 kHz or less.

There isn't a big difference between DSEE HX turned off and on. And between its different settings (Standart- Female Vocal- Male Vocal... )
If I understood how DSEE HX works correctly, there should be a big difference between its settings. For a female vocal track, "Female Vocal" setting should improve the sound but "percussion" settings should completely break the sound due to upsampling towards the wrong idea. But the differences are not big in reality.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #32,154 of 45,723
im thinking about doing that allways can you elaborate?
Just leave the player play until the low battery, please charge warning appears (icon with an empty battery) , usually the player shutdown self after this warning. qnd then charge it to full without disconnecting the cable from the charging source

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #32,155 of 45,723
Just leave the player play until the low battery, please charge warning appears (icon with an empty battery) , usually the player shutdown self after this warning. qnd then charge it to full without disconnecting the cable from the charging source

To 100% or just to 90%

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #32,157 of 45,723
There isn't a big difference between DSEE HX turned off and on. And between its different settings (Standart- Female Vocal- Male Vocal... )
If I understood how DSEE HX works correctly, there should be a big difference between its settings. For a female vocal track, "Female Vocal" setting should improve the sound but "percussion" settings should completely break the sound due to upsampling towards the wrong idea. But the differences are not big in reality.
what firmware are you on? have you truied 3.01 and 3.02? it since to be more aparent in those...

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #32,158 of 45,723
I am just getting so much more than I did before from my WM1A and CA Solaris.... it’s like a completely new listening experience.... I am using some custom ear tips from Custom Art...

The sound has really opened up and the isolation is very very good far better than any of the universal ear tips I have bought and used.... Spirals, Simbio, Comply, Spin fit... the list goes on and on... when I think how much money I spent tip rolling not just design but also size...

These custom tips cost me €75 euros and they were worth every penny.... the quality of the sound has been an immense improvement and what is so much more satisfying is how responsive the EQ is on the WM1A and how much the custom tips allow such a wonderful capture of the frequency changes....

I would strongly recommend if you haven’t already about looking into getting yourselves a pair... I’ve got no interest in them I am just sharing a great improvement I have the pleasure of listening to.... as I type I am listening to a track ‘Borstal Breakout’ (probably the greatest love song ever written..!) :) which I have listened to with numerous sources over the years and various gear but I have never heard it like I am hearing it now...!

The guys at Custom Art were fantastic and were so helpful.... the first custom plugs to arrive didn’t feel quite right in terms of seal and positioning... I had ordered them for my CA Solaris... so out of interest I tried them on a pair of CA Andromeda’s and they fitted perfectly. TheSolaris is much bigger than the Andromeda and heavier so I was able to work out that what was happening with the Solaris fitted in my ear was the weight was pulling on the tips slightly... just enough to reduce the isolation and overall sound... as I went from the Solaris to the Andromeda it became more apparent.... I am not sure if some guys who bought these tips for their Solaris might have noticed what I had purely by chance.... so Piotr the boss there at Custom Art was keen to redesign the custom tips to accommodate the changes necessary to support the Solaris and provide better isolation...

So a few weeks later I received a replacement pair which by the way I hadn’t asked for it was Piotr that offered...these plugs were much bigger (comparatively) and when I fitted them the change was very dramatic.... I can not over state it enough it was like night and day.... !! The plugs could only fit one way into my ear and the isolation was very very tight and sealed unlike anything else I have ever tried....

I am listening to my WM1A and having a whole new listening experience... I am astounded at the difference and the way I am hearing a very different sound from my iems and WM1A...

If you get a chance have a look for yourself for €75 you cannot go wrong...

I
0oXmBDl.jpg
So totally agree, like you I used Variphone Europe for custom ear tips on Westone W series, something like W30 through to W60 and was never disappointed. About the time the W80 / ES80 were released, I'd lost one earpiece of the W60s so took the plunge into full custom IEM, no comparison, no regrets. Having said that and as you mention, good seal is an absolute must. Even now I'm about to get new impressions, with mouth slightly open, which was not the case when I had my current ones done. Small margins my friends, a bit like Formula 1 :wink:

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #32,159 of 45,723
To 100% or just to 90%

Logic would suggest 100%. After all, the unit needs to relearn what 100% is, so that it can figure out what 90% is......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back