SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #32,176 of 45,723
Haha that’s amazing. I don’t think I know of anyone who has the first five first pressings. Strangely it was a difficult thing to compare #1 Vertigo to the remaster as my Vertigo #1 had scratches, even from when I purchased it in 1976? Though I’m happy about my mid-90s albums. It was at a time when few cared about vinyl....like 98 or something. But they are like new so they sound great. They also come as exact copies of the Vertigo pressings. Meaning “Master” has the poster, number one is a gatefold. But I do have one or two needle drops which I do like, especially Zep 4, and 1. They are well recorded German 1st pressings and sound great, maybe more balanced than the new Zep HD remasters? In the US the Zeppelin first pressing were great. Though we had very little Vertigo Black Sabbath pressings. And WB changed Sabbath number one a little, so one song missing.

I’m sure your 1st pressings are the best!

Well from my limited observation, i found the verigo swirls substantially superior to the remasters, socially. So i keep my first five well, and they really sound spectacular!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #32,177 of 45,723
Well from my limited observation, i found the verigo swirls substantially superior to the remasters, socially. So i keep my first five well, and they really sound spectacular!

Funny too as CD 1st pressings are about 80% better too. I sold my single Vertigo Sabbath One, but the remasters are great. There is very little known about the mid 1990s pressings. As Sanctuary did press them I think two more times. Funny too as if you read the forums they talk bad about the Rhino pressings. I actually don’t mind the HD remasters too.

I have purchased a bunch of Sabbath repressings and some are super bad.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #32,178 of 45,723
51EA0190-2B72-4149-80C2-B13F1258A88E.jpeg

A definitive needle drop on Vertigo UK first press, played on modded 1Z with 1960s 16wire, produces some of the heaviest and richest bass texture, an analogue sound that I can never let go of.
Btw i also mod my firmware to DMP-Z1's which is quite different than 3.02.
Can you elaborate on this? Do you portd the DMP-Z1 ROM code to a he wm1Z chipset?

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #32,179 of 45,723
Funny too as CD 1st pressings are about 80% better too. I sold my single Vertigo Sabbath One, but the remasters are great. There is very little known about the mid 1990s pressings. As Sanctuary did press them I think two more times. Funny too as if you read the forums they talk bad about the Rhino pressings. I actually don’t mind the HD remasters too.

I have purchased a bunch of Sabbath repressings and some are super bad.

I actually do know nothing about the mid 90s pressings, thank you for bring them out, I'll try them out.
Rhinos are sometimes brighter than the originals. Yet im happy with the originals already so haven't given the other versions too much research.
Let's get back to the topic. In the original Vertigo Master of Reality, geezer is like plucking the bass string all over your face, the attack and decay go right down your spines. I played my pressing in one of my friend's place with gigantic speakers and it's even more so. Modded 1Z with Legend X SE can come very close to that feeling.
D9AD655D-37F8-458F-9CE6-2E1AA2D5A587.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #32,180 of 45,723
I decided to give pha-3 a shot and see how it sounds and lives in comparison to wm1z. Got one at really good deal!

Looking for a z7m2 if anyone got one pm me )

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #32,183 of 45,723
Can you elaborate on this? Do you portd the DMP-Z1 ROM code to a he wm1Z chipset?

Pls spare me several days to write a thorough article. I also need to figure out how to upload and share the firmwares with Google Drive since Google is banned in China.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #32,184 of 45,723
I actually do know nothing about the mid 90s pressings, thank you for bring them out, I'll try them out.
Rhinos are sometimes brighter than the originals. Yet im happy with the originals already so haven't given the other versions too much research.
Let's get back to the topic. In the original Vertigo Master of Reality, geezer is like plucking the bass string all over your face, the attack and decay go right down your spines. I played my pressing in one of my friend's place with gigantic speakers and it's even more so. Modded 1Z with Legend X SE can come very close to that feeling.

Haha those speakers are giant. I used to have speakers close to that size Cerwin-Vega 15X4 with horns. Enjoy! That must be very visceral!

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #32,185 of 45,723
It's very well made and as you said for what it is there aren't any flaws. However what makes it special is it's sound. It's has kinda neutral tonal balance but at the same time it's full bodied and little bit colored. It has very deep and impactful bass which is very hard to describe because WM1A itself isn't very basy it's just the bass has weight that can be felt. I've never heard this manner from any other device. Not even Hugo 2 and Astell SP2000 has as good bass response in my opinion. Midrange is warmish, full bodied, close, melodious and very engaging. Treble has sparkle and great extension. For a warmish device the soundstage is huge and has a great depth to it. For me WM1A is not the best sounding player but it's very special with added magic. I've reviewed many daps but I still own WM1A and use it the most.

From what I heard, WM1A is very flat sounding. Nothing is lacking but nothing is really impresive either. I am not wow'ed by the sound.

It is a nice player but I can't justify the $1200 compared to other products. It lacks streaming and many features. The operating system is very fluid but lacks the search function. I think $400 will be a more appropriate price tag. Rest of the price comes from Sony logo I guess.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #32,186 of 45,723
From what I heard, WM1A is very flat sounding. Nothing is lacking but nothing is really impresive either. I am not wow'ed by the sound.

It is a nice player but I can't justify the $1200 compared to other products. It lacks streaming and many features. The operating system is very fluid but lacks the search function. I think $400 will be a more appropriate price tag. Rest of the price comes from Sony logo I guess.

Haha. The Sony Logo. You show up here and then say such things? Maybe it’s not for you. Everyone likes a slightly different sound. Though keep in mind this wouldn’t be one of the best threads on Head -Fi if people were just infatuated with a name. We could care less about streaming. It’s OK if you didn’t get wowed by your listening experience, I wasn’t too impressed either. Then spending time with the 1A it became special, but the $3200 is even more special! Cheers!

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #32,187 of 45,723

If WM1A is flat then how would you describe DX220 (with amp1mk2) or Hugo 2?

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #32,188 of 45,723
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #32,190 of 45,723

You need to listen for 1 week, at least 3-4 hours a day to realise that it is special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back