SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #32,132 of 45,723
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #32,133 of 45,723
Is there a way to remotely control audio playback of the WMA1/1Z from phone ?

Using Bluetooth is almost like controlling the 1A with a phone. After joined you can start and pause music from your phone and adjust volume. Your choosing music on your phone to play also. So it’s pretty close to full phone control.
Yes it has 429 hours
Should Vinly Processor make the sound warmer by rolling of the highs ? I am not sure if I can feel that.

It’s really subtle.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #32,134 of 45,723
Yes it has 429 hours
Should Vinly Processor make the sound warmer by rolling of the highs ? I am not sure if I can feel that.
It is quite subtle. Also the more sensitive your iem is, the better you can hear the differences. You can perceive the difference using let’s say CA Andromeda compared to VE Monk $5 earbuds. Probably you couldn’t hear any difference using VE Monk

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #32,137 of 45,723
I liked the WM1A's operating system. After trying many Android DAPs (they are all a mess) the Sony OS like a bliss.
DSEE HX upsamples only MP3 ? Or 16/44.1 files as well. And does it improve the things as described ?

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #32,138 of 45,723
IER-Z1R are sonically great altough because of their rather natural nature they are not the most resolving or detailed.

That's the first I've seen the IER-Z1R described in this way. For me, it's the exact opposite. Absolute detail/resolution/separation monsters, but not really perfectly natural due to their somewhat v-shaped signature. *shrug*

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #32,139 of 45,723
That's the first I've seen the IER-Z1R described in this way. For me, it's the exact opposite. Absolute detail/resolution/separation monsters, but not really perfectly natural due to their somewhat v-shaped signature. *shrug*
That’s what I hear too. Bright, huge soundstage and very dynamics.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #32,140 of 45,723
V-shape is because of it acoustic-Foam. Do the modifications and it is very different. It can’t be as flat as hd800s but it is a lot better than stock

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #32,141 of 45,723
I liked the WM1A's operating system. After trying many Android DAPs (they are all a mess) the Sony OS like a bliss.
DSEE HX upsamples only MP3 ? Or 16/44.1 files as well. And does it improve the things as described ?
DSEE HX function works for compressed audio sources and PCM audio sources with lossless compression on files that have a sampling frequency of 48 kHz or less.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #32,142 of 45,723
DSEE HX function works for compressed audio sources and PCM audio sources with lossless compression on files that have a sampling frequency of 48 kHz or less.
I would advise you not to use DSEE with losless audio since prety much i hear the same its very good at some mp3 but i hear slight resolution degrade you will be better served with the surface noise on vinyl procesor function... you can see how DSEE works by turning on your spectrum analizer you will see last bar on and off.. dough i believe losless audio can reach same levels of DSEE if not someone tell me! If you need more bass DSEE may add some more in the subbass region also... but you lose some bass speed too.. so its your choice tell us what you hear!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #32,143 of 45,723

I personally don’t use it as about 90% of what I listen to is above 320MP3 but the public statements are it CAN produce a wave form which is shown to improve CD quality and lossy quality...BUT not in all cases. Which means it’s a sound file dependent phenomenon. You have to wonder where aspirations and marketing stop and hard science starts? But somehow the FPGA’s are able to key in only at times and add a frequency response improvement in some music, but are not always able to add. And....it can make a loss.

* Note, importantly, that Koji Nageno had said some rare files could be differentiated: “...Some risk maybe for deep bit-depth and high frequency sound — in that kind of case it has some possibility to make a loss…” But “normal music, sound wave check and listening check, there's no difference.” Hence their use of the term “near high-res audio” — nearly, but not always. There are exceptions.
The transcript of our Q&A and a video of the whole Q&A (via the well-informed Ken Ho of PMR Reviews and Head-Fi http://pmrreviews.com/) is available here.

https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound...248k-files-and-true-high-res-audio-wow-437891

In my personal history the only thing I leave on permanently is default mode automatically over-sampling to DSD 512 (11.2-12.1 Mhz) with the TA desktop. As it’s the only Sony add which seems to magically improve sound all the time? That’s the DSD remastering engine not offered with the Walkmans.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-14753318

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #32,144 of 45,723

Well i find Noble Khan or Shure KSE to be more detailed. Don't get me wrong, the IER-Z1R are no slouch either and in my opinion they are not even trying to be the most resolving. They are quite bright but warm at the same time with punchy and deep bass and with added quite a lot of subbas.They are neither too fast neither too slow. Shapes that are created ale bolder and heavier and this is where Z1R loose some of the absolute detail. IEMs that have thinner notes give more micro details and textures. Midrange in Z1R is very good but I would like it to be closer. The thing that surprised me the most ia the treble. It has an amazing quality. Dynamic tweeter by sony is better than electrostatic driver by Sonion. Shure KSE is still the king though when it comes to treble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back