SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #30,316 of 45,723
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #30,317 of 45,723
First thing I've seen to make me consider changing from the Benks TPU. My 1A doesn't get much rough mobility though, usually just in the house or hotels. But that case would be very nice for someone who takes their DAP on the train, subway, street, etc. Very nice.

The Benks was actually going to be my choice, until I saw the case that I have now. And I'm glad I have it on, as yesterday my 1A fell from knee height onto a concrete floor, haha.....

I am one to take my DAPs out and about, so this case is perfect.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #30,318 of 45,723
The Benks was actually going to be my choice, until I saw the case that I have now. And I'm glad I have it on, as yesterday my 1A fell from knee height onto a concrete floor, haha.....

Ohhh my goodness you are crazy man. Poor 1a lol

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #30,320 of 45,723

Maybe it was an unconscious experiment to test the new case.
Koan of the day: Without the case, would it have fallen anyway? :wink:

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #30,321 of 45,723
How does Z1R paired with wm1z?
Would you recommend wm1z with Andromeda?

I would not recommend Andromeda. I tried it and the low end sounded bloated and the treble was rolled off. Upon reading others' impressions, the consensus is that you want a source with around 2 ohms output impedance. A mismatched pairing will sound like what I experienced. I can only assume WM1z has less than 1 ohm output impedance. I tried using an iFi IEMatch and that helped somewhat, but still short of what the positive reviews describe. Fortunately, I was able to return the Andros within the window of full refund. It's a shame, ALO service is top notch and I really was hoping to hear what many have described as a top IEM.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #30,322 of 45,723
I would not recommend Andromeda. I tried it and the low end sounded bloated and the treble was rolled off. Upon reading others' impressions, the consensus is that you want a source with around 2 ohms output impedance. A mismatched pairing will sound like what I experienced. I can only assume WM1z has less than 1 ohm output impedance. I tried using an iFi IEMatch and that helped somewhat, but still short of what the positive reviews describe. Fortunately, I was able to return the Andros within the window of full refund. It's a shame, ALO service is top notch and I really was hoping to hear what many have described as a top IEM.
With balanced pure copper cable eg. Sony Kimber Kable or ALO Reference 8, I like these synergy Andros/WM1A. Of course YMMV.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #30,323 of 45,723
WM1A + Andro OG synergy is amazing. Massive soundstage, excellent imaging/spatial cues and a very good treble extension.

WM1A + Andro Gold is also a very good pairing too. But I personally like the SR15 for it as it brings out the lower mids bit.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #30,324 of 45,723
Maybe it was an unconscious experiment to test the new case.
Koan of the day: Without the case, would it have fallen anyway? :wink:
Or may be it is an unconscious desire to upgrade to the 1Z? The 1A has to be broken first:wink:

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #30,326 of 45,723
My problem is the Se846 and the Kimber Cable is that I find it a bit too warm and lacks some enthusiasm in the articulation.
What do you think about the SE846's sound connected to the "normal" SE exit? Everyone insists on connecting very sensitive iem to balanced outputs, but this could change them in the sound signature because they were not designed to handle all that power. You may like it and I don't argue with it but at that point we are talking about different headphones.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #30,327 of 45,723
What do you think about the SE846's sound connected to the "normal" SE exit? Everyone insists on connecting very sensitive iem to balanced outputs, but this could change them in the sound signature because they were not designed to handle all that power. You may like it and I don't argue with it but at that point we are talking about different headphones.
Do you thing the SE846 are that sensitive?but yes I will make the comparison at home. Maybe just a proper 3.5mm silver cable would balance the extra warmth out. But I still would like to have proper headphones to enjoy the music at home and take with me on trips because the IEM sometimes irritate the inside of my ear canals.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #30,328 of 45,723
Do you thing the SE846 are that sensitive?
I am not the one who says this but his factory data.
Just try to connect it to the standard 3.5 output and you will hear that it will no longer sound swollen, bassy or "exaggerated". Many people like how it sounds from the balanced and powerful outputs of their DAPs, but it is no longer the same SE846. Greetings, Andrea.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #30,329 of 45,723
With balanced pure copper cable eg. Sony Kimber Kable or ALO Reference 8, I like these synergy Andros/WM1A. Of course YMMV.
I like the ALO Reference 8 balanced with the Andromeda on the WM-1A/1Z. Good clean bass, just missing the deep sub-bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back