SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #29,311 of 45,723
If anyone noticed I always preferred the 1A and IER-Z1R combo, though now the 1Z and IER-Z1R is absolutely perfect. I can’t believe anyone would not be in amazement!
I'm glad this works out for 1Z & 1ER. Play around with the tips too, it can eeked out that last 5% sound quality; I found I really like spiral dots filled with mandarin tips foam inside. It sounds very exquisite, clarity is up the roof for ear tips, and its very moving and emotional, I can hear vibrations in the vocals; gives me goosebumps. String instruments especially violin and guitar are amazing with JVC FX850.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #29,312 of 45,723
So if using wm1a, might be best to not update?

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #29,313 of 45,723
I'm glad this works out for 1Z & 1ER. Play around with the tips too, it can eeked out that last 5% sound quality; I found I really like spiral dots filled with mandarin tips foam inside. It sounds very exquisite, clarity is up the roof for ear tips, and its very moving and emotional, I can hear vibrations in the vocals; gives me goosebumps. String instruments especially violin and guitar are amazing with JVC FX850.
How did u Get them inside the spiral

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #29,314 of 45,723
So if using wm1a, might be best to not update?
Depends, what is the iem you are using? Do you want more musical, more clarity, greater separation but less subbass? Only you know what is your ideal sound.

Try using the latest version and see if it is a good match for your sound; if not, then go back to the previous version.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #29,315 of 45,723
Depends, what is the iem you are using? Do you want more musical, more clarity, greater separation but less subbass? Only you know what is your ideal sound.

Try using the latest version and see if it is a good match for your sound; if not, then go back to the previous version.
Lol, I do like the sub bass on my current firmware. I may stick to it to be honest

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #29,316 of 45,723
How did u Get them inside the spiral

Tear these foam off from Symbio Mandarin orange iems tips & jam them inside spiral dot tips. No, seriously do that, you'll have new appreciation for spiral dots with orange foam inside :beyersmile:
download.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #29,317 of 45,723
Tear these foam off from madarin orange iems tips & jam them inside spiral dot tips. No, seriously do that, you'll have new appreciation for spiral dots with orange foam inside :beyersmile:
A cheaper way to get memory foam is to buy ear plugs from a safety supply store (or wherever you can find them). Cut to size, and use a hole punch to make a hole in the center.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #29,318 of 45,723
I always though 3.01 was the thick Sony sound joining the 1Z and IER-Z1R. But due to the advantages you would overlook the slight clunkiness of tone. That’s why I liked the IER-Z1R and 1A. The IER-Z1R had an authority that made the 1A sound like the 1Z. The 1Z had a lower slight congestion with the IER-Z1R. That’s all gone now, as I would guess most would find the 1Z and IER-Z1R combo special. The 1A has always had a loss to be as thick as the 1Z. But now the 1Z thickness has been transformed into imaging and 3D hologram character. It’s like listening to speakers now? Or something......just a different soundstage again. There has been no firmware that sounds like 3.02. Though I could imagine some people wondering where the bass went; if they had borderline bass light IEMs?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #29,320 of 45,723
Lol, I do like the sub bass on my current firmware. I may stick to it to be honest

You can always try it and then just go back the previous one if you don't like it or raise the subbass in EQ. I guess these observations are all with EQ off. I pressume sony just tweak the EQ behind the scenes and then present it flat in GUI. I discovered this when I extracted and unscrambled the Xuelin ihifi 990 firmware. I could tweak default bassline EQ.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #29,321 of 45,723
Please forgive me, I'm not accustomed to reviewing/describing audio equipment.

I've been running the new firmware on the WM1A since yesterday with my primary pairing, XBA Z5, listening to a few albums I know inside-out (I won't go into specifics).

I agree that the sub-bass has been 'reduced' in favour of imaging and also pulling the mids forwards slightly.
For me, this is fantastic. The Z5 (as much as I love them) have a tendency to be slightly 'flabby' or over extended in the sub-bass region, even when the track doesn't call for it. This update seems to have tamed that, allowing for vocals and mid-centric instruments to take a greater stage in the tracks.
I've played some very bass heavy tracks and it still delivers with authority but it delivers as it should.

Now, I've only tested this with my Z5s so far and I'm happy. My only concern is that the new firmware might not play so nicely with some of my other favourite headphones that have a more natural or flat tuning.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #29,322 of 45,723
Please forgive me, I'm not accustomed to reviewing/describing audio equipment.

I've been running the new firmware on the WM1A since yesterday with my primary pairing, XBA Z5, listening to a few albums I know inside-out (I won't go into specifics).

I agree that the sub-bass has been 'reduced' in favour of imaging and also pulling the mids forwards slightly.
For me, this is fantastic. The Z5 (as much as I love them) have a tendency to be slightly 'flabby' or over extended in the sub-bass region, even when the track doesn't call for it. This update seems to have tamed that, allowing for vocals and mid-centric instruments to take a greater stage in the tracks.
I've played some very bass heavy tracks and it still delivers with authority but it delivers as it should.

Now, I've only tested this with my Z5s so far and I'm happy. My only concern is that the new firmware might not play so nicely with some of my other favourite headphones that have a more natural or flat tuning.

I have not tried my XBA-Z5 IEMs and 3.02 1A, but as walking to the gym, I kept thinking how good this update would be for the Z5!

Congratulations!

They are just asking for bass curtailing!

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #29,324 of 45,723
Makes me want to try the MDR 1AM2 again. I have a feeling that it could serve to be a very good combo

Well, that’s the thing......even though the IEM or headphone makes a big difference, the source counts too.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #29,325 of 45,723
so new FW is good for flabby/bassy iems ?

guess i am fine with 3.01 and my Zeus XR (which are anything but flabby/bassy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back