SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #29,341 of 45,723
Firstly, you need to disclose who sold you that so nobody ever buys from that person. What he/she did is extremely dishonest and downright shady.
I don't want to stir up trouble publicly, if you want to know PM me. It seems they didn't know either because they bought it secondhand. I didn't pay attention to it until DAC mode came out.

Its soldered unfortunately, I'd offer to replace it or fit a USB C socket if you where in the UK.

Dang, I'm in SoCal so I will probably part with it for cheaper if anyone is interested. It still works great as a DAP but has a minor inconvenience. I could also attempt the repair myself if I can find a donor wmport.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #29,342 of 45,723
Just completed update waiting for database to be created. Yep, bass has changed. I upgraded from 2.0 and that warmth or the sub bass foundation is reduced significantly. Volume wise, it is the same as prior version. As least for now, it seems detail and dynamic has increased slightly. Now I need to go and have some brain burn in.

On my 1Z it seems like I can go five more ticks on the volume pot.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #29,344 of 45,723
I don't want to stir up trouble publicly, if you want to know PM me. It seems they didn't know either because they bought it secondhand. I didn't pay attention to it until DAC mode came out.

Dang, I'm in SoCal so I will probably part with it for cheaper if anyone is interested. It still works great as a DAP but has a minor inconvenience. I could also attempt the repair myself if I can find a donor wmport.

The WM-Port is a multi pins SMD port with Side anchored pins. There is no way to break the WM-Port without breaking the internal pins or bending them. The only way to fix your problem is to get a new WM-Port (which I don’t know where) and then having some tech to open up your device and perform some precision Soldering works. It wouldn’t be cheap....at least I don’t think so. The works require you to pull out the entire PCB and so on

I would just return it to the person

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #29,345 of 45,723
It might be my imagination, but I feel it boots up a tad quicker with 3.02.

Anyone notice this or am I crazy?

I think I’m going to try my SE846s later tonight and see if they sound different with the new firmware upgrade. My IER-Z1Rs sure do.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #29,346 of 45,723
Reminder to Mac users: you really do have to shut down all running applications before the firmware update will work. Open Activity Monitor and quit or force quit everything you can. Then run the updater and restart your Mac.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #29,347 of 45,723
Reminder to Mac users: you really do have to shut down all running applications before the firmware update will work. Open Activity Monitor and quit or force quit everything you can. Then run the updater and restart your Mac.
I didn't have to do that when I updated my WM1A.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #29,349 of 45,723
I bought a WM1A awhile ago from someone here and unfortunately they didn't disclose that the WMPORT wasn't functioning properly. It looks like parts of the port are chipped so the connector wont seat properly. If you move the connector the slightest, it'll reset the USB connection meaning no file transfers or DAC mode unless you're careful not to touch it. Any advice? Sony has been non-responsive to my questions. Would it be easy to replace (port goes to a ribbon or is the thing soldered on)?

Did you get the chance to try another cable may be the problem is with the cable and not the port ?

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #29,350 of 45,723
Just listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan (Tin Pan Alley) with the new 3.02 firmware and I really like it so much more than the 3.01.
Even my Shure SE846 makes the music shine! Tomorrow I try the Solaris! I wanted to sell the WM1Z to buy a SP1000/2000 but doubting very much right now.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #29,351 of 45,723
Hi,
Can you let me know the combo of 1Z and Encore sounds with 3.02 and vs 3.01.
I am still on original fw 1.20, I think.
Hesitate to upgrade fw.
I have the Khan as well.
Thank you in advance.

I spent a couple hours with the 1Z and Encore Universal in 4.4 balanced. To tell you the truth, I wanted to like 3.02 with the Encore... but unfortunately 3.01 is better to my ears.

My Walkman came with 1.20 as it was later production and didn’t come with the first firmware installed. Though only a day later after purchase in 2017 the update happened. So I never spent that much time with 1.20, also when I rolled back I received error messages which was scary. Only error messages I’ve ever received with the 1Z? So I don’t know what to say......except with my Walkman not burned in 1.20 sounded way darker and almost fuzzy in comparison to later updates. But the thing is....I fell in love with the lower midrange that 3.01 added to the Encore. Also as of late, I found perfect fit and placement making the Encore my go to IEM with the 1Z, along with the IER. They both are totally different, but both have personality which goes together.

All I can say is that yes, you will find a huge soundstage with 3.02. Way bigger than 3.01. But now the lows are hidden. Which is an issue as the Encore has withdrawn lower mids anyway which brings attention to the neutrality of the non-forward midrange. Basically making the Encore mid-centric without forward mids. 3.02 takes and takes priority away from the low end, something the Encore is already doing?

Edit:
I make the above sound like it’s all about tone. It’s not...as firmware actually changes instrument position in the soundstage. It’s rearranging where the musicians are, or panning that was done in the studio. Therefore now a memorable song will have not only a different tone, but a different mix....for better or worse. Better with the IER, worse with the Encore...IMO.

So at this point I find myself at a precarious point. Do I leave 3.02 because it’s great with the IER, or do I simply use the Encore less.....or what.

Ahh...first world problems...such a pain!

There was lower midrange positioning and tone I miss with the Encore; but....that same change makes the IER fricking insane?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #29,353 of 45,723
This is the one thing I can’t do. I haven’t had time to enjoy my DMP in a week or so....I just grabbed the firmware and performed the update....LoL

So very sad these “first world” problems.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #29,354 of 45,723
I spent a couple hours with the 1Z and Encore Universal in 4.4 balanced. To tell you the truth, I wanted to like 3.02 with the Encore... but unfortunately 3.01 is better to my ears.

My Walkman came with 1.20 as it was later production and didn’t come with the first firmware installed. Though only a day later after purchase in 2017 the update happened. So I never spent that much time with 1.20, also when I rolled back I received error messages which was scary. Only error messages I’ve ever received with the 1Z? So I don’t know what to say......except with my Walkman not burned in 1.20 sounded way darker and almost fuzzy in comparison to later updates. But the thing is....I fell in love with the lower midrange that 3.01 added to the Encore. Also as of late, I found perfect fit and placement making the Encore my go to IEM with the 1Z, along with the IER. They both are totally different, but both have personality which goes together.

All I can say is that yes, you will find a huge soundstage with 3.02. Way bigger than 3.01. But now the lows are hidden. Which is an issue as the Encore has withdrawn lower mids anyway which brings attention to the neutrality of the non-forward midrange. Basically making the Encore mid-centric without forward mids. 3.02 takes and takes priority away from the low end, something the Encore is already doing?

Edit:
I make the above sound like it’s all about tone. It’s not...as firmware actually changes instrument position in the soundstage. It’s rearranging where the musicians are, or panning is done in the studio. Therefore now a memorable song will have not only a different tone, but a different mix....for better or worse. Better with the IER, worse with the Encore...IMO.

So at this point I find myself at a precarious point. Do I leave 3.02 because it’s great with the IER, or do I simply use the Encore less.....or what.

Ahh...first world problems...such a pain!

There was lower midrange positioning and tone I miss with the Encore; but....that same change makes the IER fricking insane?

Thank you @Redcarmoose for your feedback.
Sounds like 3.01 is for me to upgrade.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #29,355 of 45,723
Thank you @Redcarmoose for your feedback.
Sounds like 3.01 is for me to upgrade.

Yes, not everything goes with everything as we all know. It must have been a room where they came to a agreement that 3.02 made the IER and 1Z amazing....which it does. But after a week you'll maybe fall in love with the 3.01/Encore experience. But remember also there was two of us here that had error messages with 1.02 after going back. Who knows why this is as it's not for everyone to get those messages? Just a warning. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back