1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. marklivia
    Redcarmoose, How does the update sound using the 1Z and the full size Sony Z1R cans?!!

Aslshark likes this.
  2. marklivia
    Double post, sorry.

3. endlesswaves
    Really dig 3.02. Using WM1A on Obravo Cupid. Sub bass loss not really that noticeable once you up volume 2 - 3 steps. But the soundstage seems to expend wider by a bit more and a tad higher with better imaging.

Damn it's not easy typing while listening. Songs kept pulling me back into it and I got lost at where I was typing halfway. Might not be getting any sleep tonight.

Aslshark likes this.
  4. meomap
    Hi,
    Can you let me know the combo of 1Z and Encore sounds with 3.02 and vs 3.01.
    I am still on original fw 1.20, I think.
    Hesitate to upgrade fw.
    I have the Khan as well.
    Thank you in advance.

5. nc8000 Contributor
    There is no risk to upgrading and trying different fw, you can always gi back to 1.20 if you don’t like the others

6. ayang02
    WM1A's soundstage really expanded with that FW 3.02, slightly less bass but liking this version so far.

Aslshark and PreguntoZombi like this.
  7. aisalen
    I like what I am hearing with 3.02 for my wm1a using my IT03 in balance connection. Will check further more tomorrow and also being paired with my N3 balanced and E5000 in unbalance connection.

8. moondabor
    I bought a WM1A awhile ago from someone here and unfortunately they didn't disclose that the WMPORT wasn't functioning properly. It looks like parts of the port are chipped so the connector wont seat properly. If you move the connector the slightest, it'll reset the USB connection meaning no file transfers or DAC mode unless you're careful not to touch it. Any advice? Sony has been non-responsive to my questions. Would it be easy to replace (port goes to a ribbon or is the thing soldered on)?

9. Whitigir
    This isn’t a coincidence isn’t it ? DMP-Z1 got a new firmware too! Thanks to you guys being active here, I went and checked on it and sure enough!

Vitaly2017, Aslshark and Nayparm like this.
  10. Peter Ruby
    Let us know what changes you notice. I’d like to see if all 3 change similarly.

11. Nayparm
    Its soldered unfortunately, I'd offer to replace it or fit a USB C socket if you where in the UK.

IMG_20190830_205021.jpg

12. Peter Ruby

Firstly, you need to disclose who sold you that so nobody ever buys from that person. What he/she did is extremely dishonest and downright shady.

13. Whitigir
    This is the one thing I can’t do. I haven’t had time to enjoy my DMP in a week or so....I just grabbed the firmware and performed the update....LoL

14. Peter Ruby
    You can always send it to me. I’d be happy to perform a listen using both firmwares. :)

15. moondabor
    I don't want to stir up trouble publicly, if you want to know PM me. It seems they didn't know either because they bought it secondhand. I didn't pay attention to it until DAC mode came out.

Dang, I'm in SoCal so I will probably part with it for cheaper if anyone is interested. It still works great as a DAP but has a minor inconvenience. I could also attempt the repair myself if I can find a donor wmport.

Nayparm and Peter Ruby like this.