SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #27,496 of 45,723
As a home source for the TA I can highly recommed the Auralic Aries Mini. Have had mine for 3 years and love it. I use my 1Z at the hotel for my 100-150 travelling nights per year and at home at night

Aries Mini is a very interesting product. I'm just attracted by the sleekness of a full Sony set-up. Also space is a constraint, I put the Sony dock or the Auralic.

Have you by chance compared the performance of them as transport to zh1es?

I suppose the Auralic would be more convenient to use with its app, when seating on sofa compared to the docked walkman (even if 99% of times I listen to full albums).

Also, I don't say wm1a wouldn't have its use at home when laying on bed or during insomniac nigths... :p

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #27,497 of 45,723
Aries Mini is a very interesting product. I'm just attracted by the sleekness of a full Sony set-up. Also space is a constraint, I put the Sony dock or the Auralic.

Have you by chance compared the performance of them as transport to zh1es?

I suppose the Auralic would be more convenient to use with its app, when seating on sofa compared to the docked walkman (even if 99% of times I listen to full albums).

Also, I don't say wm1a wouldn't have its use at home when laying on bed or during insomniac nigths... :p

I never tried the 1Z as a transport and the storage capacity is way too small, I have a 2TB ssd in the Auralic nearly full.

A209254C-4592-4709-A2EE-49BC2964FEBB.jpeg

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #27,500 of 45,723
Is it a good idea to turn battery saver setting off occasionally to "recalibrate" the battery?
To "recalibrate" a lithium battery, the instructions are to fully discharge it first, and then fully charge it. The battery saver mode only limits the full charge to around 80%, and prevents charging to 100%, which is more stress on the battery. So whether the battery saver mode is on or off, it should have no relationship to recalibrating.

As far as my experience, I have seldom run across a need to recalibrate. The times I have done it, were when I thought the battery indicatior was not indicating properly, then I might do a recalibration.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #27,502 of 45,723
Hello. What is the ultimate word, after latest fw update, about WM1A vs WM1Z?

I'm choosing between the two, WM1Z would be a mighty madness on my part in regards to budget (I just got TA-ZH1es), but if it's the one to get I could wait and aim to that.

I'm also fearing that Sony will announce new models soon, it's Walkman 40th after all this year. Which time of the year would that happen in your opinion?
Here you can read a ton of opinions I havent heard the 1Z but i guess its a matter of sound balance that counts there if you prefer bass maybe you should consider 1Z i guess much goes in iem and headphone pairing as well.. if you have praised iems headphones maybe 1z will be better if you dont have such equipment maybe 1A is sufficient it is common knoledge here 1Z has better bass... and better internals if you really want that... go for it there are some users here that have both but some of them wont help you when you need them... (with information) some will.. you must make a balance if you need the extra bass?, will you be traveling much? 1A its definitly more discrete and lighter than 1Z.
Also having the TA I have read that its better than both Z and A in term of resolution and staging so... you will be paying twice just to get the bass i will get an awesome 2000 iem or headphone (ror wait for next gen) rather than a 1Z in that case but maybe its just me... sinergy its important... if I had the 1Z i will make a full review of both in all 4 firmwares to see if one is closer to another.. but i dont have both. Only zx100 and wm1a for me zx100 its enough on the go... since it has 50hs battery and also sound its ok... better tone than a phone good staging soso power soso bass... compared to 1A wich really crush it but i dont want to take out 1A will remain at home.. thats just me.. also you can get a goo used 1A here there are user selling 1Z for 2000us i thing.. almost new units :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #27,505 of 45,723
has anyone noticed an increment in quality when playing flac files using DAC vs normal playing like more volume and resolution? will it be due to the process of reading the file? or its the same?

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #27,506 of 45,723
has anyone noticed an increment in quality when playing flac files using DAC vs normal playing like more volume and resolution? will it be due to the process of reading the file? or its the same?

I haven't noticed a difference, it should be the same (or at least, very similar).

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #27,508 of 45,723
New MW1A owner here.
Less than 2 hours of burn in so I won’t comment on SQ, other than top say “wow”.
I’m trying to solve a particular issue, has anyone connected their 1A/1Z to an iPad Pro with the USB-C?
I tried a USB-C hub that works normally with both my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro, but Dac mode doesn’t seem to work.
I’m on FW 3.01 and my iPad Pro is on the latest iOS release.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #27,509 of 45,723
New MW1A owner here.
Less than 2 hours of burn in so I won’t comment on SQ, other than top say “wow”.
I’m trying to solve a particular issue, has anyone connected their 1A/1Z to an iPad Pro with the USB-C?
I tried a USB-C hub that works normally with both my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro, but Dac mode doesn’t seem to work.
I’m on FW 3.01 and my iPad Pro is on the latest iOS release.
What IOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back