SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #27,511 of 45,723
A quick note and opinion for airlines and IFE (In-Flight Entertainment)

I mostly fly Alaska Airlines to the tune of 75-100K miles per year. Alaska is going to obsolete built in IFE and go the route of BYOD so you can use your tablet, PC, phone to watch videos via wifi streaming. They are even changing seat backs with adjustable docks to hold your tablet or phone so you don't have to use your tray. I think this is the future for IFE and makes for a better experience, especially the audio. Now, you can use your Sony DAP in either DAC mode hard wired to your tablet, or wireless with BT receive mode. In either case, audio will be orders of magnitude better than the noisy, crappy built in IFE audio. To to mention, I've come across numerous built in 3.5mm jacks that were completely worn out and in some cases have a broken off tip still embedded inside. The built in screens of most IFE systems are really bad too compared to your average tablet. IMHO, wireless is the way to go so you don't have to deal with cables from seat to seat back. In fact, the new seat backs are designed to plug your tablet of phone into a USB port to keep the battery fully charged.

I think this is a great evolution that gives a longer useful life of Sony DAPs. There are flagship DAPs today that don't have BT receive mode (I'm looking at you AK). On the flip side, wireless headphones would be the most convenient for travel and the audio quality continues to improve. Having said that, I still find the wired output of the WM1z still superior by a fairly large margin against state of the art wireless headphones, even with compressed sources like AAC.

I fly about 75k miles on Delta and the SQ out of the IFE is consistently horrible.
Those screens are never cleaned and I run into broken or disabled units about 30% of the time.
A fully loaded iPad is your friend, but I sure wish they’d implement what you are showing Alaska will be doing. So smart and useful.
Cheers

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #27,512 of 45,723
New MW1A owner here.
Less than 2 hours of burn in so I won’t comment on SQ, other than top say “wow”.
I’m trying to solve a particular issue, has anyone connected their 1A/1Z to an iPad Pro with the USB-C?
I tried a USB-C hub that works normally with both my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro, but Dac mode doesn’t seem to work.
I’m on FW 3.01 and my iPad Pro is on the latest iOS release.
Does the Apple product have the drivers needed?

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #27,513 of 45,723
B07E5450-BF4E-4514-8305-46C3F5A42B3F.jpeg
400 GB on the way, so hopefully storage will not be an issue?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-21713

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #27,514 of 45,723
Does the Apple product have the drivers needed?

IPad’s don’t take drivers per se, things are sort of plug and play.
I’ve connected other DAC/AMPs to the iPad Pro without difficulty.
I suppose I could use in BT mode, but was hoping I could connect the 1A wired

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #27,515 of 45,723
IPad’s don’t take drivers per se, things are sort of plug and play.
I’ve connected other DAC/AMPs to the iPad Pro without difficulty.
I suppose I could use in BT mode, but was hoping I could connect the 1A wired

See my post here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1701#post-14602670

I am using the Sony WMP-NWM10 micro USB adapter and a plain USB-C to micro short cable. Unfortunately the WMP-NWM10 is going for >$50 now. I paid $15 a few months ago. You may want to try a USB-C to female USB A adapter with your included Sony cable. USB-C has OTG built in so just need the right adapters.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #27,516 of 45,723

See my post here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1701#post-14602670

I am using the Sony WMP-NWM10 micro USB adapter and a plain USB-C to micro short cable. Unfortunately the WMP-NWM10 is going for >$50 now. I paid $15 a few months ago. You may want to try a USB-C to female USB A adapter with your included Sony cable. USB-C has OTG built in so just need the right adapters.

Thanks brother.
I will try that in the morning.
Enjoying my testing playlist too much right now

Cheers

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #27,519 of 45,723
Wonder if WM1A provide Aptx HD codec in next firmware update? (Hmm.. looks like already included in Firmware 3.0 lol)

Recently I received my Bluetooth 5.0 optical transmitter/receiver (Qualcomm CSR 8675 chip) with SPDIF input to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic then to my Krell Integrated Amp.

I manage to pair my Samsung Note 8 via SBC codec (still try to learn how to connect via Aptx codec, appreciate if anyone know how to do it at Developer Option? ) with this Bluetooth receiver. Sound from my HIFI is not bad. Only if I can get a better sound transmission codec...

s-l300.jpg

Edited: First paragraph

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #27,521 of 45,723
Wonder if WM1A provide Aptx HD codec in next firmware update? (Hmm.. looks like already included in Firmware 3.0 lol)

Recently I received my Bluetooth 5.0 optical transmitter/receiver (Qualcomm CSR 8675 chip) with SPDIF input to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic then to my Krell Integrated Amp.

I manage to pair my Samsung Note 8 via SBC codec (still try to learn how to connect via Aptx codec, appreciate if anyone know how to do it at Developer Option? ) with this Bluetooth receiver. Sound from my HIFI is not bad. Only if I can get a better sound transmission codec...

Edited: First paragraph
The 1A only supplies output to the headphone output after receiving BT. Also the 1A would be nice as a file player for my Cambridge Audio DACMagic plus (I own); but the 1A does not become recognized. Still it sounds like your going to enjoy BT streaming out from the 1A. Enjoy!

What many of us wanted was BT receiving and digital out from the 1A at the same time. Maybe someday with an update?

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #27,522 of 45,723
Doesn't you need USB camera connector on iPad pro as on the iPhone?

Anyway, I have nw-A55, it supports LDAC on bluetooth and I tried from my Galaxy S8, but for some reason I found way better results with AAC fed by iPhone 6s.

It was the first time for me using LDAC, but I had tried AptxHD in the past with some bt speakers, and also found AAC from iPhone superior also in that case.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #27,523 of 45,723
Doesn't you need USB camera connector on iPad pro as on the iPhone?

Anyway, I have nw-A55, it supports LDAC on bluetooth and I tried from my Galaxy S8, but for some reason I found way better results with AAC fed by iPhone 6s.

It was the first time for me using LDAC, but I had tried AptxHD in the past with some bt speakers, and also found AAC from iPhone superior also in that case.

For me ldac from 1Z is considerably better than aac from iPhone8 when going to the Sony W1000XM3

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #27,525 of 45,723
I was speaking of using the walkman as a receiver and aptxHd and aac sources. Don't doubt the 1Z as source will be better than the galaxy s8.

Ahh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back