SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #26,851 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #26,852 of 45,723
I recommend you switch on the -10db pad on the KSE1200, then connect the KSE1200 to the 3.5mm output, set WM1A volume to around 110. Then turn on the KSE1200 and volume to desired level.

I do the opposite - leave pad to 0dB on the KSE1200, then set the Walkman to roughly between 90 to 100 while keeping an eye on the clipping lamp on the KSE1200. My experience say 90 is the best in general.

The reasoning is that as the source amp volume is pushed closer to the maximum volume limit, it is much more likely to distort, so 110 out of 120 is too close for comfort IMO (and is actually not adhering to the 90% of max volume rule of thumb in the first place as 110/120 is closer to 92%). Also the 10dB pad is probably a simple resistor in the circuit to lower the input power and thus reduce volume, but without knowing how good that resistor is I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #26,853 of 45,723
I’m glad it works for most people. Double amping can sound fine, and maybe theoretically it’s not double amping. I maybe used an inferior cable as in my use it sounded bad. I hooked up the 1Z to the Asgard with a 3.5mm to 2X RCA and it was horrible. Nothing like getting digital out to a DAC/amp. So in my personal use it simply was not the way to go, though I have not kept trying. I simply go to the TA.

I am not sure what 'double-amping' means, especially when said in hushed, critical tones, like "I used to think he was cool, then I found out he was double-amping".... Circuits produce a certain amount of current, into a load, at a certain voltage level. What qualifies something as an 'amp'? Vo > Vi? Io>Ii?

Overloading the input of a circuit is a real thing, is that what people mean?

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #26,854 of 45,723
I am not sure what 'double-amping' means, especially when said in hushed, critical tones, like "I used to think he was cool, then I found out he was double-amping".... Circuits produce a certain amount of current, into a load, at a certain voltage level. What qualifies something as an 'amp'? Vo > Vi? Io>Ii?

Overloading the input of a circuit is a real thing, is that what people mean?

One issue with using a headphone out as a line out is the difference in output impedance where a headphone out strives generally to be as low as possible approaching 0 ohm where a line out typically will have well over 100 ohm

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #26,855 of 45,723
Well it was rotated into a my old system, before I purchased the TA. My old system consisted of simply the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus and the Schiit Asgard One.

I wanted to see if there was an improvement by using an amp and rotated in the 1Z going analog 3.5mm Z1 out to 2 RCA to the Schiit Amp. So my direct comparison was the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus line out.

The sound was cloudy and far away, lacking resolution and dynamics. Keep in mind I was using the cheapest of cables. Also just by their nature the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus is on the thin side, where I value the 1Z to be on the slighly warm side mixed with a slight treble spike. Really I look at the 1Z as slighly V shaped from neutral?

Probably a good test would be to plug the 1Z into the line in of the TA for comparison. It definitely could have been a strange mismatch. Interestingly the Asgard One and Sony TA-ZH1ES end up being about the same as far as power output.

And yes, the DACMagic Plus mixed with the Asgard is bright added to bright, laughingly you mention that.

Did you make sure the output on the WM1z was set to 100%? Line level output needs to be close to 2V. Since the amp input impedance is in the thousands of ohm it is virtually no load on the WM1z so the output measurements should be optimal. However if the voltage level is too low, you will get uneven sound. If voltage is too high, the amp will clip. Since Sony has not given us official specs, it's best to set to 100% output and lower if you hear clipping or distortion.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #26,856 of 45,723
Did you make sure the output on the WM1z was set to 100%? Line level output needs to be close to 2V. Since the amp input impedance is in the thousands of ohm it is virtually no load on the WM1z so the output measurements should be optimal. However if the voltage level is too low, you will get uneven sound. If voltage is too high, the amp will clip. Since Sony has not given us official specs, it's best to set to 100% output and lower if you hear clipping or distortion.
Btw, is that SP1K-SS in your avatar ? I just wonder, what bring ya to WM1Z :wink:

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #26,857 of 45,723
Btw, is that SP1K-SS in your avatar ? I just wonder, what bring ya to WM1Z :wink:

I need to update that LOL. It is actually an AK380CU. I did upgrade that to the SP1KSS but currently only have the WM1z. My reasons were simple:
  • I have waited a few years for AK to add sort by Album artist and it is still not available. I gave up.
  • AK does not have BT receive function. No idea if they will add it.
  • 2.5mm is a very poor design choice. Physically weak and very tight tolerances that are not always met.
  • AK battery life is relatively short and battery drains even when powered off.
  • AK does not work as a portable DAC mode for smartphones or tablets. It will always try to charge in USB DAC mode.
  • AK DSP features are either non-existent or totally useless
Of course if you must have wifi with streaming services and want to run Android apps, AK has done a lot of work to enable that.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #26,858 of 45,723
I need to update that LOL. It is actually an AK380CU. I did upgrade that to the SP1KSS but currently only have the WM1z. My reasons were simple:
  • I have waited a few years for AK to add sort by Album artist and it is still not available. I gave up.
  • AK does not have BT receive function. No idea if they will add it.
  • 2.5mm is a very poor design choice. Physically weak and very tight tolerances that are not always met.
  • AK battery life is relatively short and battery drains even when powered off.
  • AK does not work as a portable DAC mode for smartphones or tablets. It will always try to charge in USB DAC mode.
  • AK DSP features are either non-existent or totally useless
Of course if you must have wifi with streaming services and want to run Android apps, AK has done a lot of work to enable that.

Thank you for the detailed reasoning :). It seems WM1Z will tick many of those boxes

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #26,860 of 45,723
has anyone been able to connect with bluetooth to the wm1a/wm1z to a samsung device? My Note9 does not even see the wm1a in the bluetooth device scan.

I have no problem connecting to a Lg G6 (Ldac) to stream Sportify, so i think S9 should be no problem.

Note iirc its the top right tab on 1st page of setting.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #26,861 of 45,723
has anyone been able to connect with bluetooth to the wm1a/wm1z to a samsung device? My Note9 does not even see the wm1a in the bluetooth device scan.

I assume that you have activated BT receiver mode on the start screen of the Sony ?

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #26,862 of 45,723
I am a wm1a user in Korea.
I have had two mainboard replacements in the last year.
The reason for this is that the sound of the left channel has been reduced in the 4.4 balanced output.
This experience made me very irritable.

This problem is considered to be a fault in the relay shielding circuit of 4.4 balanced output.
The reason I think so,
If relay is operated repeatedly several times, it sometimes returns to normal.

For reference, I am using ier-m9.
We will use 3.5 output in the future.

If you have someone like me, please let me reply.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #26,865 of 45,723
I found this on eBay:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075165...872e-4f123b7bfc17&ie=UTF8&qid=1548411600&sr=3

Would something like this allow me to use the 4.4 output when using standard 3.5 headphones without any problems? Does the EU cap affect the 4.4 output too? Thanks.

Not sure whether it’s advisable to use an unbalanced cable with a balanced output via means of an adapter. The other way around is ok (balanced cable to unbalanced output).

This is what Moon Audio say on their website:

For example, If you use an adapter cable from a female 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to a balanced 4 pin XLR and connect this to a Balanced amp you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design. I can't tell you how many times we have been asked to make such an adapter and we explain the situation and then are told how this adapter can be purchased on Amazon. Why are companies selling it? One word. Greed. I would highly recommend not using these. A very common adapter cable used for this is with the Astell & Kern 2.5mm TRRS balanced output. Astell & Kern has explicitly stated this will damage their DAPs. Don't do it, its not worth it. You can convert a balanced connection back to single ended. This is not a problem at all as long as your main headphone cable is balanced, then you can add an adapter cable. For example, we make adapters that convert the Astell & Kern balanced 2.5mm plug to a 3.5mm plug for use with your phone or another device that only has a 3.5mm or 1/8" jack.

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back