SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #26,866 of 45,723
Not sure whether it’s advisable to use an unbalanced cable with a balanced output via means of an adapter. The other way around is ok (balanced cable to unbalanced output).

This is what Moon Audio say on their website:

For example, If you use an adapter cable from a female 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to a balanced 4 pin XLR and connect this to a Balanced amp you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design. I can't tell you how many times we have been asked to make such an adapter and we explain the situation and then are told how this adapter can be purchased on Amazon. Why are companies selling it? One word. Greed. I would highly recommend not using these. A very common adapter cable used for this is with the Astell & Kern 2.5mm TRRS balanced output. Astell & Kern has explicitly stated this will damage their DAPs. Don't do it, its not worth it. You can convert a balanced connection back to single ended. This is not a problem at all as long as your main headphone cable is balanced, then you can add an adapter cable. For example, we make adapters that convert the Astell & Kern balanced 2.5mm plug to a 3.5mm plug for use with your phone or another device that only has a 3.5mm or 1/8" jack.

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection
Cheers. I was actually just watching this video, which says the same around about 7:40:-

I guess I have to stick to 3.5 then. Unless it is worth getting a 4.4 balanced to single ebded, then use adapter.....

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #26,867 of 45,723
I found this on eBay:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075165...872e-4f123b7bfc17&ie=UTF8&qid=1548411600&sr=3

Would something like this allow me to use the 4.4 output when using standard 3.5 headphones without any problems? Does the EU cap affect the 4.4 output too? Thanks.

Normally you cant go from balanced to single ended but with the 4.4 it is technically possible if the adapter is wired correctly and the 4.4 output has connected it’s 5th pin to ground. One here has said that he has no problem using 4.4 with single ended phones while others say it introduced distortion. Proceed at your own descretion.

EU cap affects both outputs but can easily be removed if you have a Windows computer.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #26,868 of 45,723
Not sure whether it’s advisable to use an unbalanced cable with a balanced output via means of an adapter. The other way around is ok (balanced cable to unbalanced output).

This is what Moon Audio say on their website:

For example, If you use an adapter cable from a female 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jack to a balanced 4 pin XLR and connect this to a Balanced amp you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design. I can't tell you how many times we have been asked to make such an adapter and we explain the situation and then are told how this adapter can be purchased on Amazon. Why are companies selling it? One word. Greed. I would highly recommend not using these. A very common adapter cable used for this is with the Astell & Kern 2.5mm TRRS balanced output. Astell & Kern has explicitly stated this will damage their DAPs. Don't do it, its not worth it. You can convert a balanced connection back to single ended. This is not a problem at all as long as your main headphone cable is balanced, then you can add an adapter cable. For example, we make adapters that convert the Astell & Kern balanced 2.5mm plug to a 3.5mm plug for use with your phone or another device that only has a 3.5mm or 1/8" jack.

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

I have read that before, scary as heck. What is interesting too is seeing what’s for sale not even being what it is listed, when fully drawn out in the wiring diagram they provide.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #26,869 of 45,723
One thing that does happen with Bluetooth is if you have two identical devices the 1Z or 1A will continue to connect to the first one you used and will not show up on the second one. You basicly have to either turn off Bluetooth on the first device or turnoff the first device for Bluetooth on the second device. This is simple common sense though can be frustrating the first time it occurs.

Though my greatest surprise was having full control over fast forward or pause and reverse from the 1A or 1Z side control while using YouTube via Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #26,870 of 45,723
I am a wm1a user in Korea.
I have had two mainboard replacements in the last year.
The reason for this is that the sound of the left channel has been reduced in the 4.4 balanced output.
This experience made me very irritable.

This problem is considered to be a fault in the relay shielding circuit of 4.4 balanced output.
The reason I think so,
If relay is operated repeatedly several times, it sometimes returns to normal.

For reference, I am using ier-m9.
We will use 3.5 output in the future.

If you have someone like me, please let me reply.

Nothing man made is perfect and work without defect or faults. Human is a flaw of the universe :wink: for example

Anyways, it is very unfortunate that it happened to you, and coincidentally 2x. Relay are made to withstand thousands of cycles. Relays are seen in every daily life technology, and mainly is inside your car. They don’t wear out that easily. I have the feeling that the tech did not tell you all what there is to it, and all you need to know is that the problem has been solved ? Just guessing.

How was Sony after sales service ? You are satisfied from a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it. ?

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #26,871 of 45,723
I need to update that LOL. It is actually an AK380CU. I did upgrade that to the SP1KSS but currently only have the WM1z. My reasons were simple:
  • I have waited a few years for AK to add sort by Album artist and it is still not available. I gave up.
  • AK does not have BT receive function. No idea if they will add it.
  • 2.5mm is a very poor design choice. Physically weak and very tight tolerances that are not always met.
  • AK battery life is relatively short and battery drains even when powered off.
  • AK does not work as a portable DAC mode for smartphones or tablets. It will always try to charge in USB DAC mode.
  • AK DSP features are either non-existent or totally useless
Of course if you must have wifi with streaming services and want to run Android apps, AK has done a lot of work to enable that.
what do you think of the newer lineup? SR15, SE100 or SP1000(M) ?
i'm on the fence still between the SR15 and WM1A. but based on the points you've listed im leaning a bit more towards the WM1A..

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #26,875 of 45,723
Hopefully the anniversary Walkman comes soon this year

Not fussed at all, the 1Z is good enough to last me hopefully another 5-10 years

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #26,876 of 45,723
i'm on the fence still between the SR15 and WM1A. but based on the points you've listed im leaning a bit more towards the WM1A..
I love my 1Z, but also bought a SP1000M for on-the-go travel (lots of time on an airplane) and really love it. When I am traveling or on the go, I'm not looking for all the advanced functionality of the 1Z and the SP1000M is far smaller and far, far lighter than the 1Z. The sound is a notch below a 1Z (but still fantastic), but the interface is a notch above 1Z (search, recently added, etc.) and I love, love the ability to use Tidal and download offline to the SP1000M.

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #26,878 of 45,723

They all sound great so it's a matter of personal taste and what you will use as your primary headphone/IEM. However based on functionality and facts (in addition to my previous post):
  • SR15 is a smaller size than WM1a. Very important if you need to pocket or stack your DAP.
  • AK tends to update their models every year which causes quite a bit of angst to their customers.
  • No mention from Sony on an upgraded model in the same price range as WM1a.
  • WM1a cannot import or create playlists across sd card and internal memory. AK has no issues with that and very easy to do.
  • If you are a Mac user, AK data transfer is a nightmare unless you buy 3rd party apps. Android Transfer Tool is universally considered be a POS.
  • There is an active AK representative on Headfi. Nothing from Sony.
  • AK uses wheels for volume and Sony uses buttons. This is a bit of a holy war of user experience. Personally, I like buttons, except for the bizarre balls that Chord uses.
  • AK uses standard USB jacks whereas Sony is still living in the 80s with proprietary connectors. Sony does offer an adapter for micro USB but it adds considerable length that just invites breaking.
As for customer support, neither is in the top end of support experience (at least in the US). Both tend to be pretty fluffy on marketing. Lots a big scientific sounding words used.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #26,880 of 45,723
I will buy it it's half price right now.

On the US site, I just noticed they removed the price. It was there for the past several months so maybe they are re-thinking what the price should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back